Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tony5787

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Hi I'm looking at buying a Mac Mini (haven't decided on what model yet but most likely an Intel version) to install Ubuntu server on in order to create a LAMP stack for web development testing. What I'm wondering is if it would be a good idea to install Ubuntu through bootcamp or if I could (or should) just install Ubuntu as the sole OS. Thanks in advance.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Hi I'm looking at buying a Mac Mini (haven't decided on what model yet but most likely an Intel version) to install Ubuntu server on in order to create a LAMP stack for web development testing. What I'm wondering is if it would be a good idea to install Ubuntu through bootcamp or if I could (or should) just install Ubuntu as the sole OS. Thanks in advance.

Why waste a mac mini for a test environment, unless you will use the mac mini in the end.

Just get an old PC, install Ubuntu and LAMP. Test what you need there, then decide what type pf hardware you will need in the end.

I'd recommend installing as the sole OS, unless you need something from OS X too. I've only used Win7 as a bootcamp so, I'm not even sure you could bootcamp Ubuntu.

Tony5787

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Ok yeah the only reasons I was looking at a Mac Mini is because they use low power and have such a small form factor that I can just leave it next to my router and modem and be done with it. Plus they don't really sell for that much used anymore depending on the model.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Mac Mini is perfect for that. Definitely get an Intel model. The G4 models were outdated even when they were new. Also the Intel Core Solo models are a bit pokey today. I'd get a Core 2 Duo or newer.

I'm wondering is if it would be a good idea to install Ubuntu through bootcamp

AFAIK Bootcamp is for Windows only. Bootcamp is two things: (1) Bootcamp Assistant which partitions the drive and sets it up for Windows installation, and (2) a collection of Windows drivers for the Apple hardware.

You can certainly dual boot if you like, but I don't see Bootcamp as very useful for an Ubuntu install.

biggd

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
Calgary
Lifehacker.com has a great article about how to unleash the power of your mac by using ubuntu/linux

Headtalk

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I have a 2012 Mac Mini i7 with 16GB of memory for my lab machine using VMware fusion. You can snap backup the configuration for rev changes. You can also download prebuilt images from VMware. Here is a list of the my collection of images. I use 1 to 4GB for each image the performance is incredible with the ---1TB fusion drive it is like a bare metal install. Please give it a try before using bootcamp.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.