Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mawyatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I have a couple questions to ask, here's the first one.

We have 2 iPads, an older one with OS 4.2.1 Model MB292LL. I got Western Digital My Book Live for my wife and daughter so they could get access to their images and stuff while away from the house wireless. This requires a iPad OS later than 4.3.0. Can I upgrade the older iPad OS to something later than 4.3.0?

Second question. I want the wife and daughter to be able to access remotely their images and stuff and be able to remotely upload the same from the iPads. I spent well over an hour (probably closer to 2) with two different WD tek support personnel today just to get the one later iPad (had already figured out the older iPad OS was outdated) to be able to remotely access the My Book Live (This is a package of 3TB HD with ethernet connection for use with wireless router). However this was all done from our home with our wireless access. So far I can view the images on the iPad I have uploaded with my MacBook, but have not figured out how to upload from the iPad. Also, how will my wife and daughter remotely access the My Book Live from away from the house, say at Starbucks? I know I could call tek support at WD back again but figured I would try here first, since you guys helped me get the iPads wireless connected to my wife's new HP printer.

Sorry but I am kind of new to Macs and especially iPads, the Mac stuff I am doing well with though. Beginning to think I should have not listened to the Best Buy salesperson that sold me the WD My Book and gone to the Apple Store!! Although the BB salesperson did sell me the Apple TBD, mouse and keyboard that all work fine, and the WD tek support guys were nice but it took a long time to just get to square one!!

Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays,

Mike

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Mike,

If you're using the first iPad as you suggested by the model number, it supports up to 5.1.1. If they are iPad 2's or above, they support 6.0.

I can't help with uploading files from you devices, but WD says it is possible. From WD's site:

"Take a photo or video clip with your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and upload it directly to your My Net N900 Central, My Book Live or My Book Live Duo. When you get home, you have new files waiting for you so you can enjoy them on any screen in your house."

You probably have to do it from their app. As for accessing your HDD away from home, it's safe to assume you will also access it from WD's app made for the HDD. It looks like this app is the one you'll need to browse and upload your pictures.

iTunes link

EDIT* Here's a link to WD's site regarding their apps for the My Book Live.

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280#wdp

Last edited:

mawyatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks HazyCloud. Dumb question, but how do I go about upgrading the iPad OS on the oldest iPad?

Cheers,

Mike

mawyatt

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Hey thanks so much, I was able to get the old iPad OS updated. Took me awhile but I finally got it downloaded. Now both iPads can see the WD My Book Live. Now it's trying to figure out to upload from the iPads, then to see how to log in from outside my wireless network....not sure how to do either yet, but I am making progress!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.