PDA

View Full Version : iBook External DVD Burner

jarinaz
Sep 26, 2005, 03:39 PM
Im about to buy the 12 inch ibook. Macworld says in their review that the superdrive is the only burner that iDVD or iMovie will burn to. Is this true? I seem to remember another post saying that the laCie external burner will work and that apple made a patch for it. What is the deal because it sounds like the 12 inch is the better machine if I add memory and I was going to buy external dvd down the road if needed.

Lucky8
Oct 8, 2005, 05:58 PM
Anybody got anything to say about that? :confused:

Bear
Oct 8, 2005, 07:22 PM
iDVD 5 can make a disk image and you can burn that to an external drive.

Lucky8
Oct 8, 2005, 08:12 PM
I'm thinking about getting an external DVD burner for my iBook but I did a "Clean Install" and left off the iLife suites including iDVD to save some HD space when I first got it.
Is there a way to install just the iDVD alone without doing another install of OSX Tiger?

rosalindavenue
Oct 8, 2005, 08:41 PM
iDVD 5 can make a disk image and you can burn that to an external drive.

This is correct-- there is a fuller thread on that issue-- iDVD 5 supports external burners for the first time-- not all burners are compatible but if the burner is marketed as OSX compatible you should be fine. Here is my post to that thread with a verifying link. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1774335&postcount=4)