Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
I am going to leave Germany for a while and do an internship in México.
I'll be there for five full months so I'll be on here a little less probably. Anyway, I just heard from them 3 days ago and they want me to be there October 10th... so I am in a bit of a hurry to get packed and plan everything.
This is going to be pretty exciting although I have absolutely no idea what to expect.
Anyway, just thought I'd share my excitement and ask if someone has any useful tips? Everything is appreciated. :)

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Diatribe said:
I am going to leave Germany for a while and do an internship in México.
I'll be there for five full months so I'll be on here a little less probably. Anyway, I just heard from them 3 days ago and they want me to be there October 10th... so I am in a bit of a hurry to get packed and plan everything.
This is going to be pretty exciting although I have absolutely no idea what to expect.
Anyway, just thought I'd share my excitement and ask if someone has any useful tips? Everything is appreciated. :)

don't drink the water.
and remember-- ICE IS MADE OF WATER. :p
*remembering that beer commercial where the guys get sick.. HAHA! good times*

learn a little spanish?

What are you gonna do in Mexico?
and if ya can, come up to Houston. We can go to the Apple Store and have a party party good time. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Congratulations Diatribe, that's very cool.

We'll start to miss you after a while (not specifying how long for fear of offence) so be sure to get back online when you can. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Jon'sLightBulbs said:
Advice: while courting chics at the beach, remember: sand is not a lubricant.
Is this from your own personal experience? :p

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
The water is not implicitly bad... every country's water supply has slight differences and different bodies react differently to it. When I went to Mexico for 2 weeks... we learned that having lots of yogurt everyday will definitely help in getting your body acclimated to the water.

Yes ice is made out of water... however, in Mexico there is a system set up so that the ice cubes that are cylindrical in shape w/ a hollow center are 'safe' and the classic square-type cubes aren't as trust-worthy.

I don't know much about Mexico... only stayed with a family in Cuernavaca. Do you know where you'll be?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
sand is no lubricant but silicon is! i think. my cousin used to say that i'm too tired to look into it :)

good luck! most of all have fun!
if you leave an unhealthy lifestyle now or want to change any part of your life do it when you get there. i find its easier to get into a new routine when something big happens. if that makes any sense!

yea... good luck there

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
skubish said:
The toilets in most places don't accept tissue paper.
Oh, thanks, I forgot about that. The plumbing doesn't have the same volume of water nor the pressure (right?) so the proper thing to do is to use your TP, fold it up neatly, and dispose of it in the proper waste receptacle.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Two phrases...

"Un mas cervesa" and "Necesito mojar..."

...nah...that one would not be "appropriate"... ;)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
have a great time on your trip! where in Mexico will you be staying? any ideas on what you will be doing?

just remember to enjoy yourself!

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
When I saw the title I thought you meant that you were leaving the Mac world!!! :eek: Thank God!

Bring a PB/iBook and a iPod. Also don't forget a camera.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Thanks for all the tips, I'll try to remember them. The sand and the lubricant... :rolleyes: ehm yes....

I'll be staying in Mexico City and will be working on an HR project. Dunno much else besides that really. I've never been to South America so this is all new to me but this is the fun part about it... the butterflies before going.
The only thing I hate about those trips is that I never have the stuff with me I really want. I end up needing things I never thought I would.
Right now I am looking for a cheap flight and am making a list of the things I will forget... :D

Jaffa Cake said:
Have a great time Diatribe – don't worry, we'll try to muddle along without you! ;)

I am sure you will. :p

PlaceofDis said:
just remember to enjoy yourself!

Trust me. I will. :D

raggedjimmi you mean like an early New Years resolution? Lemme think... :rolleyes: you mean like study more? Wheeew, am I glad that my college time ended two weeks ago so that's out. ;)

If I would smoke I'd probably stop since I will get everything I need from the nice air over there. :D

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
w_parietti22 said:
When I saw the title I thought you meant that you were leaving the Mac world!!! :eek: Thank God!

Bring a PB/iBook and a iPod. Also don't forget a camera.

Not to worry, it doesn't look like Bill is going to release a viable option any time soon. :D
I will bring my gear but I hope it makes it all back safely.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Diatribe said:
I will bring my gear but I hope it makes it all back safely.

Be careful. Mexico can be dangerous if you wander into the wrong areas. Nice place, but the police are fairly corrupt, drug cartels run the border cities.

You should be fine, just be smart. Duhr. ;)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Mechcozmo said:
Be careful. Mexico can be dangerous if you wander into the wrong areas. Nice place, but the police are fairly corrupt, drug cartels run the border cities.

You should be fine, just be smart. Duhr. ;)

Yeah, I'll be careful. I've been to enough places to know... I guess I'll be fine. It's not like I'll be wondering around with those pesky white earbuds... :D

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
remember that "pendejo" doesn't mean friend (from a cheech and chong movie), that "puta" doesn't mean party (mad tv episode), and that "carneceria" doens't mean carnival.

apologies for any misspellings.

Pastorius

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2005
Brazil
Well, I live in Brazil, so I can give you some pointers. First off:
Do NOT trust anyone. Especially not the police (I'm not kidding). They are as corrupt as the politicians, who are as corrupt as the people working at the hospitals, etc. Anyway, don't trust the police. If you're used to living in first-world countries such as the USA or Germany, as your description suggests, then do not expect the same "service". The police, lawyers and politicians all think they are underpaid and overworked and many of them fall into the gaping hole of corruption. Just be careful, very careful. And try not to look like an outsider. :p

Other than that, have fun. And don't go out at night, be wary of suspicious people (mexico is famous for its high kidnapping rate), and only go out with people you know. The whole drill.

Bottom line is: don't underestimate the lack of infrastructure. If you're not used to it, the lack of any system of support for whatever it is you're doing will floor you. Other than that, have a good time. :rolleyes:

Oh, and customs is a bummer too. Repeat yourself over and over again, in latin countries you beat customs through insistence and nothing else. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.