Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I own a mid-2012 MBA i7 / 8 GB / 256 GB...I have purposely kept the MBA "clean and lean"...

I own a four year old Toshiba Tecra M10 laptop as well...

I have run speedtest.net test for both wired and wireless network connections and note that both machines produce similar results (i.e. wifi download speeds are approximately 15 Mbps)...

I am using Google Chrome as my web browser on both machines...

I am experiencing a problem in that webpages load much slower on my mid-2012 MBA and, in some instances, do not even load.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel

JamesJesney

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I own a mid-2012 MBA i7 / 8 GB / 256 GB...I have purposely kept the MBA "clean and lean"...

I own a four year old Toshiba Tecra M10 laptop as well...

I have run speedtest.net test for both wired and wireless network connections and note that both machines produce similar results (i.e. wifi download speeds are approximately 15 Mbps)...

I am using Google Chrome as my web browser on both machines...

I am experiencing a problem in that webpages load much slower on my mid-2012 MBA and, in some instances, do not even load.

Any ideas / suggestions?

Thanks,

Joel

Have you tried loading the same web pages in safari? Also there could possibly be a chrome update?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
What DNS servers are you using? If you don't know then it probably is your ISP's default. Have you thought about changing them to Open DNS or Google DNS services?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What DNS servers are you using? If you don't know then it probably is your ISP's default. Have you thought about changing them to Open DNS or Google DNS services?

He says the other machine works fine. Unless he purposely configure each machine with its own DNS setting (who does that?) this is a faulty diagnosis.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Have you tried loading the same web pages in safari? Also there could possibly be a chrome update?

Appreciate the response but Safari is worse (no surprise here) and Google is current...we need to look elsewhere.

Appreciate the response but all machines use the same DNS which is set in the router...I have tried 3 different DBS servers (i.e. IPS provider, DynDNS and Google) with no change in results...we need to look elsewhere..

FrenchMBA

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Hi Joel,

I was browsing the net to find tips to solve the same problem that I'm experiencing on my new MBA.

It is exactly the same behavior as yours.
Good connection on the house's Wifi, 15Mbps, other ipad and Iphone and PC Lenovo works fine with the same settings, only this MacBook which is so long that you can have a brew and a pee before anything moves. I'm still using Safari but that is not the root of the problem.
I've got Apple care over the phone for an hour or so and we tried to search the cause but the result is still the same. We were about to reinstall via the recovery tool but we experienced hard fault... Now, wiating for an engineer to call me next wednesday for an hard troubleshooting.
While browsing the net in French, I see that an user with the very same problem had finally a hard failure on the Wifi PC board. It was solve by a tech intervention at the Mac Store.

Of course, I'll follow the thread here and keep you informed on the results of wednesday call.

Cheers
V.

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
I actually used to have exactly the same problem as yours. I think it depends on the range. Our main router is maybe 10 meters away from my room(same floor). And while the surfing works fine on my old windows laptop, it almost doesn't work on my MBA 2012. It takes ages to load a page, while most wont even load at all.

Then I've heard that WiFi on MBA is crap and thats why I havent tried to fix it. So I bought a new router and placed in my room. Now it works fine.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I actually used to have exactly the same problem as yours. I think it depends on the range. Our main router is maybe 10 meters away from my room(same floor). And while the surfing works fine on my old windows laptop, it almost doesn't work on my MBA 2012. It takes ages to load a page, while most wont even load at all.

Then I've heard that WiFi on MBA is crap and thats why I havent tried to fix it. So I bought a new router and placed in my room. Now it works fine.

When I first got my air, web page loading was agonizingly slow. Then, I updated to 10.8.2 (I know others feel that this is the problem) and it was blazingly fast.

Unfortunately, it is back to the agonizingly slow performance. Damn!

You should not have to get a new router.

Last edited:

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi Joel,

I was browsing the net to find tips to solve the same problem that I'm experiencing on my new MBA.

It is exactly the same behavior as yours.
Good connection on the house's Wifi, 15Mbps, other ipad and Iphone and PC Lenovo works fine with the same settings, only this MacBook which is so long that you can have a brew and a pee before anything moves. I'm still using Safari but that is not the root of the problem.
I've got Apple care over the phone for an hour or so and we tried to search the cause but the result is still the same. We were about to reinstall via the recovery tool but we experienced hard fault... Now, wiating for an engineer to call me next wednesday for an hard troubleshooting.
While browsing the net in French, I see that an user with the very same problem had finally a hard failure on the Wifi PC board. It was solve by a tech intervention at the Mac Store.

Of course, I'll follow the thread here and keep you informed on the results of wednesday call.

Cheers
V.

V, appreciate the response and look forward to an update following your conversation with the Apple engineers...

Joel

Appreciate the response...I am pleased that you found a solution but there is a problem when you need to purchase a new router for a $2,000 laptop...

As this seems to be a somewhat common problem, Apple needs to find a solution...

Joel

When I first got my air, web page loading was agonizingly slow. Then, I updated to 10.8.2 (I know others feel that this is the problem) and it was blazingly fast.

Appreciate the response...I am running the latest version of Mountain Lion...sorry to hear that the problem has come back...

Joel

Pavel08

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, Ive been using 10.8.2. I got my router as a present so it was kinda ok for me. As I said it might be a range problem. Ive been reading a couple of mba reviews and some of them mention that WiFi on mba is quite bad.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
V, appreciate the response and look forward to an update following your conversation with the Apple engineers...

Joel

Appreciate the response...I am pleased that you found a solution but there is a problem when you need to purchase a new router for a $2,000 laptop...

As this seems to be a somewhat common problem, Apple needs to find a solution...

Joel

Appreciate the response...I am running the latest version of Mountain Lion...sorry to hear that the problem has come back...

Joel

Right now, it's working fine. When it works, for web and MS Office apps, it works great. Tomorrow, who knows? Hopefully, there is a fix via a software update.

Yeah, Ive been using 10.8.2. I got my router as a present so it was kinda ok for me. As I said it might be a range problem. Ive been reading a couple of mba reviews and some of them mention that WiFi on mba is quite bad.

Yea, this maybe true. At a friend's, my Thinkpad connects where my Air doesn't. Up till now, I've only had my Air for a couple of weeks. Just maybe, it needs to be broken in? We'll see...

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Right now, it's working fine. When it works, for web and MS Office apps, it works great. Tomorrow, who knows? Hopefully, there is a fix via a software update.

Agreed and have the same experience...I have been up and working on my MBA for the last 3 hours and everything is working as it should but who knows what will be in an hour or tomorrow.

The weird thing is that I do all my work in the same place -- my office -- so cannot understand the variable performance.

FrenchMBA

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Hi, As promised, an update.
I tried to reinstall the OS with the engineer over the phone but failed with the error code : -1007F

After a bit more delay due to intense thinking on their end, Finally they asked me to bring back the MBA to a repair centre as the problem is most probably hardware. :rolleyes:

Now, let's see what will happen in the next few days.

Cheers

Vincent

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, As promised, an update.
I tried to reinstall the OS with the engineer over the phone but failed with the error code : -1007F

After a bit more delay due to intense thinking on their end, Finally they asked me to bring back the MBA to a repair centre as the problem is most probably hardware. :rolleyes:

Now, let's see what will happen in the next few days.

Cheers

Vincent

Vincent:

Appreciate the update..keep us posted as to what happens.

Thanks,

Joel

FrenchMBA

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
Ok, get my MBA back from support today.
The wifi problem was indeed hardware. They first changed the wifi board but still the signal was weak. So they changed the display (yes, the display, the screen) because the wifi antennas are embedded in it.
So now it works as expected everywhere in the house. Happy Frenchie !

hope that helps,

Cheers

Vincent

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Ok, get my MBA back from support today.
The wifi problem was indeed hardware. They first changed the wifi board but still the signal was weak. So they changed the display (yes, the display, the screen) because the wifi antennas are embedded in it.
So now it works as expected everywhere in the house. Happy Frenchie !

hope that helps,

Cheers

Vincent

I am happy that you finally got it sorted out and working...keep us posted on as it would be great to know that this is a permanent solution.

Thanks,

Joel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.