PDA

View Full Version : iBook startup problmes - Simple fix?

LimeiBook86
Sep 26, 2005, 06:41 PM
I have Mac OS X 10.4 installed on my G3 iBook 500mhz 12", I also put on a Mac OS 9.2 system folder that I had from another machine (probably part of the problem). I was using Mac OS X fine and when I tried to reboot into Mac OS 9 via Startup Disk in System Preferences I get the old "?" on a Mac Folder icon blinking because it can't find the software it needs to startup.

I can't seem to get into Mac OS X, I've tried holding Option, X, and Shift-Option-Delete-Apple, at startup and nothing works. I have a fine installed version of Mac OS X but I can't get it to boot into it. Nothing of value is on the system so I can re-install Tiger but the problem is the iBook has a CD drive so it's a bit of a hassle to install it.

Any ideas? :) Thanks!

mklos
Sep 26, 2005, 09:23 PM
I have Mac OS X 10.4 installed on my G3 iBook 500mhz 12", I also put on a Mac OS 9.2 system folder that I had from another machine (probably part of the problem). I was using Mac OS X fine and when I tried to reboot into Mac OS 9 via Startup Disk in System Preferences I get the old "?" on a Mac Folder icon blinking because it can't find the software it needs to startup.

I can't seem to get into Mac OS X, I've tried holding Option, X, and Shift-Option-Delete-Apple, at startup and nothing works. I have a fine installed version of Mac OS X but I can't get it to boot into it. Nothing of value is on the system so I can re-install Tiger but the problem is the iBook has a CD drive so it's a bit of a hassle to install it.

Any ideas? :) Thanks!

Do you really have a use for Mac OS 9? If so, its best to install it off the CD. There is a way to do it the way you did it, but you need to "bless" the system folder to make it bootable.

If everything is on the same partition, you have to install Mac OS 9 BEFORE you install OS X. Otherwise you just run into problems.

LimeiBook86
Sep 26, 2005, 10:00 PM
Do you really have a use for Mac OS 9? If so, its best to install it off the CD. There is a way to do it the way you did it, but you need to "bless" the system folder to make it bootable.

If everything is on the same partition, you have to install Mac OS 9 BEFORE you install OS X. Otherwise you just run into problems.
I used target Disk mode and deleted the Mac OS 9 system folder. Now only Mac OS X Tiger is now on the hard drive and still no luck. Odd eh? :confused: