Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
I want to set up some lights in my living room, get my girlfriend to be the model, and do some backlit shots.

I want stark contrasts, to where she almost just looks like an outline really.

I'm shooting Black and White film, not digital. 35mm.

I'd offer some more information if it would help, but I dont know what else to add.

Any ideas?

Sca1pel

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Mike Teezie said:
I want to set up some lights in my living room, get my girlfriend to be the model, and do some backlit shots.

I'd offer some more information if it would help, but I dont know what else to add.

Any ideas?

Need to know what kind of lights, watage and all. Also what film speed and conditions. I could easily say 2.8 @ 125 but that means nothing. I would need more info.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Not sure what wattage the lights are.

The film speed is 400 speed, C-41 process Black and White. It's all I could find on short notice.

Aperture I can set, its the shutter speed I really am not sure about.

Thanks for replying, Sca1pel.

Sca1pel

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
Mike Teezie said:
Not sure what wattage the lights are.

The film speed is 400 speed, C-41 process Black and White. It's all I could find on short notice.

Aperture I can set, its the shutter speed I really am not sure about.

Thanks for replying, Sca1pel.

I would say your using flood lights but I dont know.....Just meter corectly and overexpose, dodge and burn is PS :)

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Ah, Photoshop is kind of out, unless it's really really minor.

They are floodlights, complete with umbrellas and all that.

I was just going to put one directly behind her, and position to suit the frame.

What shutter speed should I start with? Around 125?

I am a beginner with manual shutter, unfortunately. I know practice makes perfect, but I wanted to at least have an idea where I should start.

I guessed I would want a faster shutter speed, so not much light would hit them film, leaving the image darker. But I could be way off, I have no idea really.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005

Any ideas?

I don't have an answer for you, but I did just see that you're in West Monroe! Quite amazing to see someone from my city here on MacRumors! There's a guy up at Tech that I'll pass your question onto. He might have an answer for you.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
FrankieTDouglas said:
I don't have an answer for you, but I did just see that you're in West Monroe! Quite amazing to see someone from my city here on MacRumors! There's a guy up at Tech that I'll pass your question onto. He might have an answer for you.

Small world! Cool to see someone from the great WM.

I set up the lights and backdrop, and just started shooting. I shot mainly at 5.6 @ 125, tried a few others. I'll post a few up when I get them back from the printers.

Here's to hoping they turned out ok.......

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
Ok, here we go. I don't know how this will be recieved, but I dig it. A lot.

backlight.jpg

Please be nice people, I'm a beginner with a camera in my hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.