PDA

View Full Version : Will we see Ive's influence in iOS 7?

irDigital0l
Dec 28, 2012, 12:13 AM
I was looking at the archives and many people were excited that Ive was going to lead the Human Interface group.

Most of the comments were like "we're going to see a revamped iOS 7 now!!!"

But realistically can Ive insert his design philosophy into iOS within a year?

How much change in iOS 7 we'll we see from Ive?

nuckinfutz
Dec 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
I was looking at the archives and many people were excited that Ive was going to lead the Human Interface group.

Revamp simply means to improve and we all expect that in the first place. What i'm personally looking forward is a more consistent design language and improved use if iCloud (notes please) and solid upgrades to the native apps.

Ive will make a difference but chances are if the differences are large they were already planned before the exec shakeup.

A Hebrew
Dec 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
I think Ive is just a marketing scheme by Apple to get people pumped up for the future.

2ndchancephones
Dec 28, 2012, 12:44 AM
iCloud as it is right now just isn't very good.

irDigital0l
Dec 28, 2012, 12:48 AM

Isn't that Eddy Cue's job now?

He's now in charge of all services (iCloud, Maps, Siri)

JS82712
Dec 28, 2012, 12:56 AM

If you are referring to the file management aspect of it, then I agree with you.
however, I'd like to see apple come up with some creative solution to this, instead of ripping off dropbox like google did.

Technarchy
Dec 28, 2012, 01:03 AM
iOS 7 probably already has groundwork laid and good software development takes time and testing to get right.

I can't see much happening in the next 9 months. I wouldn't expect much till iOS8 in 2014.

Rogifan
Dec 28, 2012, 05:12 AM
Apple should hold back the release of iOS 7 if necessary in order to get it right. A lot of people will be disappointed if iOS 7 looks just like iOS 6 with minor changes. To me the two guys who were most likely impediments to change - Jobs and Forstall - are gone now. So let Federighi and Ive have the time to work on something great.

I'm curious to know if Forstall's lieutenants like Greg Christie, Bas Ording, Imran Chaudhri, etc. are still with the company and plan to stay after his departure. Or if Ive plans to hire some new blood.

irDigital0l
Dec 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Apple should hold back the release of iOS 7 if necessary in order to get it right. A lot of people will be disappointed if iOS 7 looks just like iOS 6 with minor changes. To me the two guys who were most likely impediments to change - Jobs and Forstall - are gone now. So let Federighi and Ive have the time to work on something great.

I'm curious to know if Forstall's lieutenants like Greg Christie, Bas Ording, Imran Chaudhri, etc. are still with the company and plan to stay after his departure. Or if Ive plans to hire some new blood.

Since Federighi is now in charge of iOS...probably just a lot more iOS and OS X integration.

kthnxshwn
Dec 28, 2012, 06:05 PM
Obviously?

ajvizzgamer101
Dec 28, 2012, 09:09 PM

Apple is going to take it slow. Each app will get a new design when the App itself gets new features.

2ndchancephones
Dec 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
Isn't that Eddy Cue's job now?

He's now in charge of all services (iCloud, Maps, Siri)

I'm not sure...sorry, I was just pointing out general stuff.

-BigMac-
Dec 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
if 10% of the suggestions in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1485108) are implemented, we are sure to have an amazing iOS release.

Lets hope Apple comes across a few of these ideas :)

2ndchancephones
Dec 30, 2012, 09:40 PM
If you are referring to the file management aspect of it, then I agree with you.
however, I'd like to see apple come up with some creative solution to this, instead of ripping off dropbox like google did.

Yes...and I've now seen several companies that have gotten it right and icloud looks really bad. Almost to the pitiful point...and I'm an Apple fanboy? It is so disappointing.

irDigital0l
Dec 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure...sorry, I was just pointing out general stuff.

Oh, its k. But I agree, iCloud could certainly better, but thats Eddy Cue's job now. So if we do see new features, it'll probably be him talking about it.

nuckinfutz
Dec 30, 2012, 10:30 PM
Yes...and I've now seen several companies that have gotten it right and icloud looks really bad. Almost to the pitiful point...and I'm an Apple fanboy? It is so disappointing.

Not sure i'm seeing where it's "that" bad. If you're looking for a dropbox clone...that's not iCloud's intention.

JS82712
Dec 30, 2012, 10:43 PM

really? which company offers a mobile OS that syncs all of your app and game data across devices?

please, if you were referring to google drive, then you are just embarrassing yourself. Google drive is a 'me-too' product that ripped off dropbox, google didnt get anything 'right'

MozMan68
Dec 31, 2012, 12:10 AM
Not sure i'm seeing where it's "that" bad. If you're looking for a dropbox clone...that's not iCloud's intention.

I agree..but it is strange that Apple hasn't used iCloud as a file sharing option a la Dropbox.

Maybe they were counting on Dropbox selling to them and they wouldn't. Just can't believe they haven't offered an icloud app that is basically Dropbox.

nuckinfutz
Dec 31, 2012, 12:27 AM
I agree..but it is strange that Apple hasn't used iCloud as a file sharing option a la Dropbox.

Maybe they were counting on Dropbox selling to them and they wouldn't. Just can't believe they haven't offered an icloud app that is basically Dropbox.

My guess would be simplicity.

Dropbox rose to the top of the pack because it's service is very simplistic A single folder that syncs everywhere minimizes confusion.

Apple wanted to take it to the next logical step by asking "why create the need for a folder in the first place?"

If people are honest with themselves they'll admit that for most people the iCloud ideology pertaining to sync is superior.

Dropbox has many fans because it doesn't force them to relinquish control of their filesystem/folder structure but that becomes its biggest feature and detraction. By letting my control the data the syncs through my deliberate action it also creates a fault in that I am the biggest point of failure in the chain. If I forget to drop a file in the dropbox folder there's nothing dropbox can do to help me.

JS82712
Dec 31, 2012, 01:10 AM

Please tell me which company got it 'right'? And what exactly did they get right?

I don't care if you are an apple fanboy, you are simply making statements without backing them up.

BHP41
Dec 31, 2012, 08:44 AM
Why should apple make a "Dropbox" like solution. We already have that. It's called..Dropbox.

It syncs across any platform. I don't see the need for Apple to create one of their own. Besides, if they did it most likely wouldn't be cross platform. I use Dropbox on Windows also.

To the main question, I think we will see some of Ives influence in the next major release but I'm not expecting groundbreaking design changes or a revamped OS.

MozMan68
Dec 31, 2012, 09:12 AM
Why should apple make a "Dropbox" like solution. We already have that. It's called..Dropbox.

It syncs across any platform. I don't see the need for Apple to create one of their own. Besides, if they did it most likely wouldn't be cross platform. I use Dropbox on Windows also.

To the main question, I think we will see some of Ives influence in the next major release but I'm not expecting groundbreaking design changes or a revamped OS.

Because, they already have iCloud. Why not use the database they already have and are already charging folks for and simply add the ability to store files beyond music, contacts, iOS data, etc.?

BHP41
Dec 31, 2012, 09:37 AM
Because, they already have iCloud. Why not use the database they already have and are already charging folks for and simply add the ability to store files beyond music, contacts, iOS data, etc.?

I see your point but I think where that falls short is in the business sector. It would do me no good to put everything in iCloud if it was set up like Dropbox because it more than likely wouldn't be cross platform. Dropbox has handled this great, allowing anyone to use their service no matter the device. Which means that even if iCloud allowed me to store that type of stuff it would pose problems of sharing those files.

For me iCloud does what it needs to do. I use Pages all the time and it's nice to have them synced across all my Apple products. But whenI need to share something I can just drop it into a shared folder on dropbox and I'm done. Not everyone I know uses or has access to a Mac or iOS device. With Dropbox this doesn't matter.

MozMan68
Dec 31, 2012, 09:43 AM
I guess I'm just assuming it would no different than iTunes...and actually be linked as part of it to make file transfer even easier. Mac, windows, iOS...doesn't matter like with iTunes today.

Technically, they're already doing it with iTunes but just without the ability to access certain file types.

lokey
Dec 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
The problem with iCloud is that if you have an app on iOS that wants to save a file and make it accessible to you on your Mac, then a companion Mac app must exist. For example, a simple text editor on iOS with features that exceed Notes.app but isn't quite a Pages.app competitor. The app is designed to be used on the iPad, but if you want to be able to access those files it creates on your Mac you can't without using something like Dropbox.

I just want an iCloud File Manager that can be used by power users.