PDA

View Full Version : Yo-Yo Power Adapter on a 12" iBook?

Xeem
Sep 27, 2005, 01:42 AM
Finally, I am not longer obsolete... I'm typing this on my brand new 12" iBook. This is quite a big deal for me, as I am upgrading from a screenless G4 400 Powerbook that recently died and a G4 Cube. Being somewhat paranoid, I was wondering if there was any danger in using the yo-yo power adapter from the Powerbook G4 with my new iBook. The connector is identical, but I'm not sure about anything else and I obviously don't want to damage anything.

katie ta achoo
Sep 27, 2005, 01:53 AM
Finally, I am not longer obsolete... I'm typing this on my brand new 12" iBook. This is quite a big deal for me, as I am upgrading from a screenless G4 400 Powerbook that recently died and a G4 Cube. Being somewhat paranoid, I was wondering if there was any danger in using the yo-yo power adapter from the Powerbook G4 with my new iBook. The connector is identical, but I'm not sure about anything else and I obviously don't want to damage anything.

I just googled it (happy bday!) and it says that it is 45 watts. The ones they sell at the apple store are 65, so you'll just see slower charging.

You should be cool, but I'd wait for another post or two , just to be sure.

Mechcozmo
Sep 27, 2005, 02:23 AM
You CAN but...

You will probably see very slow charging, if any. It will charge faster in sleep mode. You can use the 45W adapter with the iBook, but you will be needing to draw from the battery as well (depending on AP/BT/screen usage).

However, I am not sure of this. I have used a 65W adapter with my 12" PowerBook (norm is 45W) and I am very certain of the iBook working with 45W, however, please make certain before doing so.

dcv
Sep 27, 2005, 04:41 AM
However, I am not sure of this. I have used a 65W adapter with my 12" PowerBook (norm is 45W) and I am very certain of the iBook working with 45W, however, please make certain before doing so.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! ^^^

I bought a spare power adapter (65W) at the weekend but realised when i got home my PB's one is 45W so wasn't sure whether to use it or return it.

Now i know it won't fry my 'book :)

(wow good timing on this thread!!)

To the original poster - i found this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=143305) yesterday. Just note what it says in post #7 - unfortunately i couldn't find the linked support doc but from the post it suggests that it's okay to use a 65W adapter with a notebook that shipped with 45W but not the other way around. So as long as your iBook didn't ship with a 65W adapter it should be ok to use it. But as the yo-yo is from an older model i'd be tempted to contact Apple to double-check.

Xeem
Sep 27, 2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the replies. The iBook is 45W, as is the yo-yo adapter, but I just wanted to be sure it was OK, so I called Apple this morning, and they assured me that the old yo-yo adapter is fully compatible with the new iBook. In fact, I'm posting while attached to it right now. Life is good :p .