Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I've recently switched from Windows to Mac. Today I installed Parallels 8 and added my bootcamp Windows 8 partition as a VM host. I'm having the following two problems with Parallels and I'd surely appreciate your input.

1. After creating the virtual host (added from the bootcamp installation) and booting it (either in VM mode or in clean bootcamp mode), I noticed that the bootcamp icon in the Windows taskbar has now disappeared. The only way to access the bootcamp options in Windows is through Control Panel. Is there a way to get the bootcamp icon back on the Windows task bar?

2. Upon switching from VM mode to Bootcamp and then back, each time I open a Microsoft Office application, it asks me to activate the product yet again. I'm afraid that if i keep activating, Microsoft will blacklist my key eventually. Is there a workaround for this?

I've logged support cases with Parallels for both of these issues but have yet to receive a reply, so I thought to post in here as well in case someone has encountered these issues before.

Thanks for your time.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
You might check to make sure the date and time in Win 8 doesn't change when switching from Bootcamp to Parallels...that happened to me with Win 7 a while back and it caused a bunch of issues.

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
You might check to make sure the date and time in Win 8 doesn't change when switching from Bootcamp to Parallels...that happened to me with Win 7 a while back and it caused a bunch of issues.

They seem consistent in either mode, but thanks for your suggestion WesCole.

Flyinb

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2010
First of all why are you booting in bootcamp or VM. I run parallels simultaneously with Mountain Lion.

I would recommend calling Parallels as their tech support is pretty good

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
First of all why are you booting in bootcamp or VM. I run parallels simultaneously with Mountain Lion.

I would recommend calling Parallels as their tech support is pretty good

Well, to run Windows, I have to run either in VM mode (Parallels) or BootCamp, is there another way?

I have heard back from Parallels Support and I don't like what i'm hearing. Unless I've misunderstood, there is no way to just link Parallels to your existing BootCamp partition and NOT have to activate Office everytime I switch modes. They have suggested instead to import BootCamp to Parallels Desktop, but this will create an additional, separate Windows installation on my Mac partition the size of the BootCamp one.

I will wait for clarifications just in case I've misunderstood, but if this is really the case, I'll probably scrap Parallels and go back to pure BootCamp mode since the hassle of maintaining multiple Windows installations and the size requirements is simply not worth it for me.

Not a happy camper...

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Well, it seems I have a solution. After a couple of initial emails just stating the facts, Parallels support were very helpful and asked me to check whether the Network MAC address of the VM was the same as the Physical (Bootcamp) partition. It wasn't and I changed it to match the physical one, but still no luck. This however led me to remember that I had created the VM partition with only half the CPU cores (4) whereas the physical one utilises obviously all 8. After changing the resources of the VM to match the bootcamp installation, all is well. Just posting this in case someone else experiences the same issue since it was driving me mad!

Regarding the issue of the bootcamp icon missing from the Windows taskbar, Parallels have informed me that they can't help since Windows 8 is still considered to be unsupported by both Apple and Parallels.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Well, to run Windows, I have to run either in VM mode (Parallels) or BootCamp, is there another way?

I have heard back from Parallels Support and I don't like what i'm hearing. Unless I've misunderstood, there is no way to just link Parallels to your existing BootCamp partition and NOT have to activate Office everytime I switch modes. They have suggested instead to import BootCamp to Parallels Desktop, but this will create an additional, separate Windows installation on my Mac partition the size of the BootCamp one.

Not a happy camper...

This is not the case. I've been using Office for Windows on a Mac through Parallels and a Boot Camp partition for over a year now. You do need to install Parallels Tools (which Parallels should do automatically), and you will need to activate Office once in Boot Camp and then again in Parallels, which might require using the phone route. It should work seamlessly after that.

In any case, regarding blacklisting, I've never had an issue activating, though for quite a while I have had to use the phone installation. I have transferred the same copy of Windows 7 from Mac to Mac (in 5 years I have managed to have a faulty logic board on one, spill wine on another, and lose one in an airport, as well as upgrade a few times, so have had about 8 Macs), and my copy of Windows 7 still works (even with the double activations). Office 2010 has been on 3 Macs from my count, again working fine.

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I tried everything, including phone activation in Parallels, but no matter what, Office kept asking for Activation when switching from physical to virtual and back. Parallel Tools was installed as well.

The only thing that solved the issue for me, was making sure that the hardware resources in physical and virtual were identical.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I tried everything, including phone activation in Parallels, but no matter what, Office kept asking for Activation when switching from physical to virtual and back. Parallel Tools was installed as well.

The only thing that solved the issue for me, was making sure that the hardware resources in physical and virtual were identical.

Do you have your Boot Camp partition on an external drive? I've noticed some issues with Microsoft products regarding activation when they are installed on external drives. Sometimes they will mistakenly think the configuration has changed. It was even an issue with early versions of Office 2011 for Mac (plugging in a Thunderbolt drive would confuse the heck out of it and ask for an activation code).

cutter74

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Do you have your Boot Camp partition on an external drive? I've noticed some issues with Microsoft products regarding activation when they are installed on external drives. Sometimes they will mistakenly think the configuration has changed. It was even an issue with early versions of Office 2011 for Mac (plugging in a Thunderbolt drive would confuse the heck out of it and ask for an activation code).

Nope, the Boot Camp partition is located in the same internal SSD drive as my Mac OS installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.