PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Regarding Converting a Company to OS X

Kraythe
Sep 27, 2005, 06:02 AM
Greetings,

I am trying to convince my company to move to OS X on at least the previously linux boxes. Linux is great for the server side but blows rocks on the desktop. I was also trying to get them to switch the windows systems. During my research I have found a great deal of information on those that have switched TO OS X but what I am wondering is if people have any pages on those that have switched FROM OS X to Linux or windows. I havent been able to find anything and that is nearly inconcievable unless people are so happy with OS X that they never switch back.

Im trying to compile a balanced presentation so I dont come off as a Mac maniac but rather as a reasonable individual.

snkTab
Sep 27, 2005, 06:22 AM
Greetings,

I am trying to convince my company to move to OS X on at least the previously linux boxes. Linux is great for the server side but blows rocks on the desktop. I was also trying to get them to switch the windows systems. During my research I have found a great deal of information on those that have switched TO OS X but what I am wondering is if people have any pages on those that have switched FROM OS X to Linux or windows. I havent been able to find anything and that is nearly inconcievable unless people are so happy with OS X that they never switch back.

Im trying to compile a balanced presentation so I dont come off as a Mac maniac but rather as a reasonable individual.

Macs were at some point proven to be more productive. IT for macs is quite simple as to lower your total cost of ownership, but then again, you initially pay a high premium for them.

How big is your company and what do they do?

Makosuke
Sep 27, 2005, 06:32 AM
Well, this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but here's a remotely similar version:

I do some work for a company that was expanding and trying to move beyond a small network composed of two or three ancient (OS8) Macs to something more modern. In the end, they ended up with four Wintel boxes (3 2K pro, 1 XP Pro) because of CAD needs and preference of new employees, and two OSX Macs, again because of preference of old employees, plus an SBS2003 server. All 5 Win boxes were Dells.

It's now two years down the line, and their experiences haven't been that bad. On the positive side, the Windows server has run relatively well with the exception of it's OS completely freezing up once for no reason at all and wasting a perfectly good 12-hour night getting it running again, and except for a couple minor hardware failures all the computers have run smoothly. The Windows users don't complain much, everything can access the files on the server well enough, and they've been able to use SolidWorks and DBA, which were the preference of the CAD guys and floor managers, respectively. The Macs can even use MS's VNC equivalent to open remote sessions on the server to access the Win-only DBA.

On the down side, necessarily restrictive security policies have been something of a pain for both me when setting things up and the users of the Windows boxes, keeping the computers up to date has proven to be more of a hassle than is desireable, antivirus software has cost them a few hundred bucks, and they have DEFINITELY paid me more to set things up and keep them running than an equivalently-sized Mac-based company.

The biggest issue in my mind, though, is the hassle of keeping the few Windows boxes running smoothly--they need to call me in to change just about anything, and it's a moderately major hassle to recover from failures, whereas the Macs runn fairly smoothly without any such care and feeding and disaster recovery is generally simpler. In a larger organization, a lot of this could be resolved by a uniform OS rollout, more robust network, and various similar systems, but since they're too small to afford a dedicated IT guy, I have to keep everything as simple as possible so that someone else can figure it out if I'm not around to fix it for whatever reason.

This doesn't apply nearly as much to an equivalent OSX-oriented organization; my day job includes admining for a lab composed of 12 Macs and 4 Windows machines with an XServe, and I can do much more with a similar level of simplicity. Keeping everything secure and running smoothly is also measurably easier, even for an organization without dedicated IT staff (I'm also one of the two programmers, so admining isn't my main job).

Boiled down, I'd say that by switching to Windows from older Macs rather than going to OSX, the advantages are going to be a wider array of available corporate-oriented software and administration tools. The disadvantages will be in the increased security and system maintenance requirements. The biggest difference for a small organization, though, is that keeping a simple yet secure setup on Windows is just plain more complex than on OSX, so they're going to have to be measurably more careful and get a lot more used to being aware of and prepared for viruses and intrusion attempts.

All based on a very small sample size, of course, but it's one case study, anyway.