PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook internal HD

stoid
Sep 27, 2005, 07:47 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading the HD in my PowerBook, and am wondering if 120GB is he largest available. I've searched for 160GB drives, but all I can find is press releases stating that they have been developed by various manufacturers. Any ideas as to when they'll reach the market? I just don't want to go out and buy a top of the line 120GB drive when 160's will be out in a matter of days/weeks. However, if 160GB drives won't be out until sometime 2006, I'll go ahead and get a 120GB now.

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Sep 27, 2005, 10:17 AM
I was looking in to this about a month ago and, from memory, the 120GB drives had only just been introduced. I would imagine that 160GB drives will be a few months away at the least and they'll more than likely be prohibitively expensive.

But that's just a semi-educated guess on my part :o

.:*Robot Boy*:.
Sep 27, 2005, 10:20 AM
Just found this (http://www.betanews.com/article/Seagate_Mobile_Hard_Drive_Hits_160GB/1118244284) article.

Seagate said the 160GB Momentus 5400 will ship this winter

Looks like they're putting that 'perpendicular' technology in to practice.

stonyc
Sep 27, 2005, 10:21 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading the HD in my PowerBook, and am wondering if 120GB is he largest available. I've searched for 160GB drives, but all I can find is press releases stating that they have been developed by various manufacturers. Any ideas as to when they'll reach the market? I just don't want to go out and buy a top of the line 120GB drive when 160's will be out in a matter of days/weeks. However, if 160GB drives won't be out until sometime 2006, I'll go ahead and get a 120GB now.If you don't mind me asking, but why upgrade the internal HDD when you could buy/make a nice external that could be had for cheaper and bigger?

What size HDD are you upgrading from?

stoid
Sep 27, 2005, 10:43 AM
If you don't mind me asking, but why upgrade the internal HDD when you could buy/make a nice external that could be had for cheaper and bigger?

What size HDD are you upgrading from?

I have an external 250GB 3.5inch drive for video storage, but I want to have more storage on the go. I have only 60GB internal HD. With growing music and photo libraries especially, I need more space. I would get a bus powered 2.5 inch drive, but from my experience, they lay a huge hit on battery life, thus decreasing overall portability.

edit: yeah, it looks like the perpendicular recording is still on the horizon. It seems correct to assume that the new drives will be very expensive. A 120GB is more than enough for the next two years, and by then the PBook will be 4 years old, and probably in need of replacement.

stonyc
Sep 27, 2005, 10:45 AM
I have an external 250GB 3.5inch drive for video storage, but I want to have more storage on the go. I have only 60GB internal HD. With growing music and photo libraries especially, I need more space. I would get a bus powered 2.5 inch drive, but from my experience, they lay a huge hit on battery life, thus decreasing overall portability.Gotcha.. if the 120's just came out recently, maybe a 100GB would be a nice compromise price-point.

KittenKrusher
Sep 27, 2005, 12:27 PM
Doubling your internal space sounds cool. If you need the space I would say go for it, unless there is a huge price difference between the 100 and 120. I just recently got my PB so Im on par with my 100 internal.

stoid
Oct 7, 2005, 09:21 AM
Just found this:
Seagate ATA/100 7200RPM 100GB drive. Model number: ST910021A

How can I best verify that this hard drive is absolutely compatible with my PowerBook. I have a 2 year old 1.25 Ghz 15inch "Firewire 800" model.