PDA

View Full Version : Remaster music

DenBeke
Dec 29, 2012, 04:45 AM
Hello,

I've some old recordings that don't sound very nice.
Is it possible to remaster those myself, or will that be way to hard?

What software can be used to do so?

cheekypaul
Dec 29, 2012, 05:08 AM
Could you elaborate?
What exactly do you mean by not nice sounding?
Are there crackles?
Noise?
Hum?
When was the recording made? What is the original source?

DenBeke
Dec 29, 2012, 05:46 AM
Most of the tracks come from old vinyls, or CD's, that are made of not remastered vinyls.

Most of the recordings sound dull (if that's the right word for it, I'm not native English), like you'd place a cardboard box over your speakers.
One of the worst examples I can show is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFkw6mpRRPQ (not uploaded by me, but someone used the same 'source')

I also got vinyls with a crack on it I never play, but it would be great to record them on the Mac and remove the crack so I can listen to them again.

Julien
Dec 29, 2012, 06:50 AM
Hello,

I've some old recordings that don't sound very nice.
Is it possible to remaster those myself, or will that be way to hard?

What software can be used to do so?

In order to re-master you must start by using the original masters and then........

You can make changes (like equalization and or dynamic rage compression/expansion) to your material that may seem to sound better to you. Also you sometimes "clean up" old noisy recordings by reducing inherent noise. Usually by reducing higher frequencies.

Even if you had accesses to the original master's there is very little that can be done with a recording made in the 1930's. The "dull" sound you hear is mainly from limited high frequency response (missing harmonics) from the original performance.

Jessica Lares
Dec 29, 2012, 09:52 AM
Like everyone here is saying, you can't do very much without the original masters. You can EQ, and you can add a little bit of silence to fix cracks, but I don't think it would be very effective. Using different sources of the material and mixing them together by slicing might be a possible solution. (I do this)

DenBeke
Dec 29, 2012, 09:53 AM
Ok, thanks everybody!

cheekypaul
Dec 29, 2012, 01:08 PM
Most of the tracks come from old vinyls, or CD's, that are made of not remastered vinyls.

Most of the recordings sound dull (if that's the right word for it, I'm not native English), like you'd place a cardboard box over your speakers.
One of the worst examples I can show is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFkw6mpRRPQ (not uploaded by me, but someone used the same 'source')

I also got vinyls with a crack on it I never play, but it would be great to record them on the Mac and remove the crack so I can listen to them again.

There's plenty you can do. But technically, remastering requires the original master.

However you can remove crackles and noise to some extent, even on copies.

the youtube clip you point to, that recording is (a copy of) the master, ie it sounds like that originally, that's how it was recorded. You can eq, limit and de-noise to taste, or to 'modern ears' taste, but you would not be able to put back sound or depth that was never recorded.

If i were you, i'd buy this (i'm not affiliated, but use it all the time) independent and superb piece of software. At least, visit the site, it has tons of info for you.

CLICK ME (http://www.clickrepair.net/)

and good luck!