Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reuters reports that Microsoft and Intel have announced their plans to back the HD-DVD format for high definition content. Microsoft's support for the HD DVD format was expected based on previous announced partnerships with Toshiba.

Meanwhile, Apple announced support for Blu-ray technology in March of 2005. Blu-ray is the main competitor to the HD DVD format.

While, Microsoft/Intel control a large proportion of PC hardware, content providers have not yet joined their site:

But the battle over next-generation DVD formats is far from over, Kaufhold said, noting support in Hollywood for Blu-ray. Several studios, including Walt Disney Co., Sony Pictures and News Corp. unit Twentieth Century Fox, have said that they will release high-definition movies on Blu-ray.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
that's an interesting development ...isnt apple behind...man, these formats are going to be annoying...arent they?

while blu ray may be more expensive...i think that it is the better choice. far more room for expansion.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
maybe AMD should back blu-ray.

But it's funny that Apple is going to go with blu-ray, and intel is going to HD-DVD.

lcde

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2005
Now with DVD+/-RW and DL I don't see why a combo drive wouldn't occur. Then no one would be "stuck".

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles
Macrumors said:
While, Microsoft/Intel control a large proportion of PC hardware, content providers have not yet joined their site:

big deal. :rolleyes:

Edit: Even Microsoft is unsure about HD-DVD... notice how they said they're putting HD-DVD in the XBox 360? Now they say they're "keeping their options open". HD-DVD is DOA. With all of the major PC manufacturers, Apple, Dell, HP, Sony, etc. backing Blu-Ray in addition to the manufacturers producing the embedded chips that will be decoding MPEG4 HD streams and broadcasts, I'm not worried about HD-DVD. Blu-Ray will win.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Apple supports BOTH Blu Ray AND HD DVD

Apple supports Blu Ray and HD DVD.

At the moment, Apple supports HD DVD more than it supports Blu Ray. Just look at DVD Studio Pro 4. It has the capability to author discs that conform to the preliminary HD DVD spec. This means that although right now only G5 equipped Macs running Tiger and DVD Player 4.6 can play back HD DVDs created with DVDSP 4, once HD DVD players hit the market they shouldn't have any trouble playing those discs.

Apple said:
Apple is committed to both emerging high definition DVD standards—Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD. Apple is an active member of the DVD Forum which developed the HD DVD standard, and last month joined the Board of Directors of the Blu-ray Disc Association.
source: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/17hd.html

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Finally!

I am with intel & MSFT here! Finally some one having some sense. HD-DVD is more compatible with current DVDs and is far cheaper than Blu-ray. Sony has a track record of making insanely expensive proprietery **** for sovling simple problems! i agree that having 50 GB is better than 30GB but at what cost and flexibility? As you can see the DVD-DL double of what a dvd can hold but who is using it (movies are released in DL for time or just to make it more painful to copy!)? I think the if blu-ray wins it is going to some f***ing locked down version directed by content providers (& sony) who will be only worrying of how to protect that content than make it better. As long as they lock the tech down, they are not going to let the generic makers enter and make the stuff available for cheap.

GO HD-DVD! :cool:

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
I think consumers would benifit most from a 'dual support' system. Blu-ray uses a very intense holographic type system to allow the intense amount of storage. There won't be any 'blu-ray' consumer burners for a LONG time. Where as HD-DVD could have consumer burners pretty quickly.

Why not allow for something like toshiba is doing where you could have a BLU-RAY reader and HD-DVD reader/burner?

If that isn't the solution, consumers are going to suffer. One format will win in the end (beta/vhs) and a group (either HDDVD or Blu-ray) will be left with a bunch of worthless media down the road (ie. beta)

I'm guessing that in the END, HD-DVD will win. Based off of ONE reason. People will think BLU-RAY is something new and weird, but HD-DVD is just a new version of DVDs. Consumers are stupid, which makes HD-DVD the default winner. It's the one consumers are going to know what it is and buy it.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
lcde said:
Now with DVD+/-RW and DL I don't see why a combo drive wouldn't occur. Then no one would be "stuck".

it would cost more than twice to make the "combo". It is completely different laser technology.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
The fight between HD a Blue-Ray should be fought like a men, in the ring.
In the left corner J Steve wearing his bleu jeans and black turtle neck, in the right Bill Gate$. Let get ready to ramble! :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
is it possible to have both standards in one drive?

if not then just add an external dvd drive to your internal one. as a computer user it doesn't matter what format is supported. in the end we will have both and chose for our backup the more cost effective or stable. so whoever supports what will not matter one year later.

it's only relevant for customers buying a home theater. since that is not a time sensitive investment we can easily wait it out and buy then.

so i don't understand why this is so important for many people. what am I missing? does it affect the pro's in a particular way?

BGil

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
The fight between HD a Blue-Ray should be fought like a men, in the ring.
In the left corner J Steve wearing his bleu jeans and black turtle neck, in the right Bill Gate$. Let get ready to ramble! :D

Microsoft officially back both formats. They'll back anything that uses their codec. I'm guessing they prefer HD DVD because it's more compatible with their media center plans and their Xbox 360 strategy but they are playing both sides.

In addition, they have their own red-laser format backed by a few companies. It's basically the HD DVD authoring spec on a regular DVD like the High Def DVD's they've already released.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Is anyone else angry that they have to get all new dvds? I don't know about anyone else but I have a fairly extensive dvd collection, I don't want to have to buy a whole new format, let alone one of TWO different formats. This is not cool

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Tommyg117 said:
Is anyone else angry that they have to get all new dvds? I don't know about anyone else but I have a fairly extensive dvd collection, I don't want to have to buy a whole new format, let alone one of TWO different formats. This is not cool

Fortunately for me, I don't own any DVDs ;)

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Xbox 360 or PS3?

Guess I'll wait for the PS3. In a lot of ways this really sucks for consumers. So much for console gaming platforms being the all in one home entertainment device. My TV only has one HDMI port, so which console is going to get it?

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
x86isslow said:
i'd say ominous that intel and apple are going in two different directions

:confused:

I'd say totally irrelevant for the Apple / Intel CPU relationship.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
this crap gives me a headache.

last time i saw a blu-ray disc, it was in a cartridge just like the old dvd-ram. it sucked. people want just a disc, not some confabulated doohicky.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Apple partner Samsung have already said they expect to have a dual-format drive out within a year. There's nothing to see here.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Tommyg117 said:

Hopefully the consumer HD-DVR players will be backwards compatible with DVDs the same way DVD players are backwards compatible with audio CDs. If not, we'll all need another component in the home theater.

Either way, your DVDs will still play; they just won't look as good as the new ones. Why is it "not cool" to make a better product available that doesn't hurt what you have now?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
obeygiant said:
last time i saw a blu-ray disc, it was in a cartridge just like the old dvd-ram. it sucked.
That's been fixed. (Maybe Apple should buy some of this stuff for their nano cases :p )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.