Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
When my mini arrives, I'll be sharing the same monitor, Dell U2711, between it and my pc. Ideally, I'd like to use the same keyboard with both, for space reasons and the fact I love my mechanical keyboard. I'll be using a different mouse for both, and would rather switch inputs on my monitor manually (a lot of kvm switches appear to be flakey supporting 2560x1440 anyway). Will this work okay do you think?

Not purchased a kvm switch yet. I've been looking at this one, only two reviews but one of them has experience of using between mac & pc;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIXES-Swit...Q50Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1356787277&sr=8-2

Also, my monitor has two dvi ports and one hdmi. Is there any advantage to using the mini over dvi instead of just using hdmi?

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
That does look interesting, saw it in another thread, but I don't know how it'd work on my one screen setup.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I use a KVM from IOGear. It has two USB ports, and a VGA port. Since it only has VGA, it doesn't support HDMI. This worked great while I had my old Mac Mini. When I got my new 2011 Mac Mini, I had to use HDMI in the monitor until I got the appropriate HDMI to VGA adapter. So what happened was, the HDMI cable was in the monitor, and when the switch was on the Mac, it would show that with the keyboard/mouse from the switch. When I switched it back to my main PC, I had to pull out the HDMI from the Mini to get back to the VGA display. It is possible to share Keyboard only and have two mice up to each computer.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
When my mini arrives, I'll be sharing the same monitor, Dell U2711, between it and my pc. Ideally, I'd like to use the same keyboard with both, for space reasons and the fact I love my mechanical keyboard. I'll be using a different mouse for both, and would rather switch inputs on my monitor manually (a lot of kvm switches appear to be flakey supporting 2560x1440 anyway).
I had my old Mini and PC switching in the same manner, but with different keyboards. Really wanted to go to one keyboard but the cost of a suitable KVM just wasn't justified against the minimal hassle of two keyboards. With the 2012 Mac Mini I loaded VMWare Fusion and virtualized the PC so it's gone now, no longer taking up space and making noise, couldn't be happier.
Also, my monitor has two dvi ports and one hdmi. Is there any advantage to using the mini over dvi instead of just using hdmi?
Audio, if your monitor has speakers in it. DVI and HDMI are identical as far as picture is concerned, same signals with a different shaped connector - HDMI incorporates sound though.

EDIT: Just caught the resolution on that monitor, HDMI on the Mini won't go that high. You'll want to connect that as DisplayPort, not HDMI or DVI.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, I've just discovered that the monitor, Dell u2711, won't support 2560x1440 over hdmi (actually can be done via a hack I read somewhere, but that's beyond me).

It's got a DisplayPort, but there's an issue with the DP support in this model. Occasionally loses signal and you have to physically cycle the inputs to get it working again. I experienced it myself years ago when I hooked up my old mbp to it over dp, so that's out.

I see the mac mini ships with a hdmi to dvi adaptor. I wonder if that adaptor supports dual link dvi? I'll try it. I've actually already got an Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, but ideally I don't want to use it as it's big, ugly, takes two ports and has QC issues itself.

Which leaves me with a final question - there's an Apple mdp --> dvi adaptor available too, I wonder if that supports 2560x1440? Probably not I'm guessing, since why would there be a separate MDP to Dual Link DVI adaptor available, as mentioned above. Err, stupid question this paragraph, ignore :)

Last edited:

TahoeBlue

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
I use the DP to DVI cable for the Mac Mini, and DVI to HDMI cable for the PC & just hit the source input on the monitor when I want to switch. The PC doesn't have issues with the HDMI port like the Mini does. I use the same Bluetooth kb/mouse for both, so no need for KVM switch. But if I want to use a mechanical kb for gaming, then I just plug it in to the PC.

Although I am definitely getting to the point where I don't want that noisy gaming rig under my desk, and Windows is starting to look clunky compared to Mac OS.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Looks like I'll use the existing mdp->dual link dvi cable that I've already got. Tried it out just now with my old mbp, still works fine. Ideally, I'd use the displayport on my Dell u2711, but that's a world of pain - years later and it's never been truly fixed I don't think, at least judging by random forum posts across the web.

I found an old Belkin kvm switch in a draw, that's working just how I want it too, using my mechanical keyboard and mouse with both my old mbp & pc :). Just swap out my mbp for my mew Mini when it arrives.

Going forward, I'll be interested in getting a second screen anyway, purely for mac use. I'm tempted by the TB display available now, but I'm concerned it might be upgraded in the next 6 months or so. I used to have a 24" cinema display, I wish I hadn't sold it, although I did get largely what I paid for it on eBay.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I see the mac mini ships with a hdmi to dvi adaptor. I wonder if that adaptor supports dual link dvi? I'll try it. I've actually already got an Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, but ideally I don't want to use it as it's big, ugly, takes two ports and has QC issues itself.

Which leaves me with a final question - there's an Apple mdp --> dvi adaptor available too, I wonder if that supports 2560x1440? Probably not I'm guessing, since why would there be a separate MDP to Dual Link DVI adaptor available, as mentioned above. Err, stupid question this paragraph, ignore :)

Def need the DP-Dual Link adapter for $99 to get that resolution. My twin UltraSharp 2001FP's at 1600x1200 work fine with the HDMI-DVI for one and MDP-DVI for the other, but your monitor will need the dual-link if the DP input isn't working.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm using it now, it works fine. Which is good, as I mislaid it for years and only found it today after HOURS of searching. Maaaan it looks better than the non-native 1920x1080 I was running earlier via hdmi.

nelupasilk

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2012
I only use enterprise level KVM Switch solutions for installations. I have used a few of KVMSwitchTech's Cat5 KVM Switch solutions in the past an they work well. I am sure they make DVI and HDMI KVM Switch solutions for SOHO applications as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.