PDA

View Full Version : Another great switcher story!

Stampyhead
Sep 27, 2005, 12:27 PM
I like reading the stories on these boards of people that helped their friends and family switch to Mac, so I thought I would post one that happened to me this weekend.
The lady that owns the ranch where my niece boards her horse just purchased a small western-wear store, including the office computer which was a crappy little 700 Mhz HP running Windows ME. Shge asked me if I could come and take a look at it, as she has been having a lot of problems with it (i.e. general slowness, repeated crashing, error messages about missing .dll files, etc.). After messing with it for a good hour (most of which was spend restarting when it crashed) I told her that she would be better off investing in a new machine rather than spending the time and money trying to resurrect this one. She mentioned some specials on generic PC's that she had seen at Office Max, but said she was afraid it would end up like the old one as she knew nothing about virus protection, spyware, etc. So I told her that she had another option, one that was a lot easier to maintain and didn't have the same threat of viruses and malware. I pulled out my Powerbook and introduced her to OSX, and she was immediately intrigued. I showed her how easy the OS was to use, how she could connect her digital camera easily using iPhoto, and how she could surf the web without the same fear of viruses and annoying spyware popup windows as she had on her PC. She was a bit concerned with the price, so we hopped into the car and drove over to Circuit City, and I showed her the Mini. She was instantly smitten ("that's a computer? It's so cute!"). We took it back to her store and had it set up and ready to roll within 15 minutes (not counting the hour I spent trying to get everything off her PC). She loves her new computer because she doesn't have to spend half the day trying to get it to function. Now she can concentrate on running her business.
Macs just work.

p0intblank
Sep 27, 2005, 04:09 PM
Very awesome. I've had two very close friends of my family switch and they love their iMac. They haven't had any problems with it like they did with Windows before. :D Oh and I also got my mom and dad to switch too. My mom has a 12" iBook and my dad has the awesome iMac 20". :D w00t, we're so good!

Nereus
Sep 27, 2005, 05:11 PM
I love these stories and I haven't switched yet!

Benjamin
Sep 27, 2005, 05:15 PM
I'm never tired of these posts. Congrats. :cool:

xyouxfailmiex
Sep 27, 2005, 05:17 PM
bought my first mac today ....i book g4 14"...so far so good...its hard to not think windows though

yippy
Sep 27, 2005, 06:11 PM
I like these stories. It is nice to be reminded of why I go against the grain and use Mac.

However, I am one of the spoiled ones in that up untill high school the only PC I had ever touched was my cousins. I thought that they were the minority :p . Both my parents work for educational institutions and so had Macs at work and thus we had a Mac at home.

Every time I try to do something more than browse the web or use Word on a PC I always end up thinking "This would be so much easier on a Mac, I wouldn't be having this problem"

rdowns
Sep 27, 2005, 06:54 PM
I just got back from CompUSA (bought my nephew a Sony PSP for his bar mitzvah). As I was waiting for someone to bring me one from the back, I was eavesdropping on a guy in the PC section and he asked the salesman about getting a Mac. I looked around but no Mac guy in the Apple section.

Salesmen said no software available, no virus software made and there are so many viruses online and that Macs were twice the price. Salesmen got interrupted so I started talking to customer. Told him to follow me to Mac section.

Showed him all the software available (including virus software), quite a big selection for a CompUSA. Showed him the mini and iMac 17". Went over software it ships with. He asked about creating PDF's so I created a few on the fly and he was amazed.

I had to go but he had a lot more questions. I told him he should leave CompUSA as the salesmen was lying to him and go across the strett to the mall and visit the Apple Store for a proper demo. He thanked me as he walked out and I went to pay for the PSP.

If he switches, he would be like my 150th. I used to be a reseller in the 90's.

Stampyhead
Oct 1, 2005, 08:27 PM
I just got back from CompUSA (bought my nephew a Sony PSP for his bar mitzvah). As I was waiting for someone to bring me one from the back, I was eavesdropping on a guy in the PC section and he asked the salesman about getting a Mac. I looked around but no Mac guy in the Apple section.

Salesmen said no software available, no virus software made and there are so many viruses online and that Macs were twice the price. Salesmen got interrupted so I started talking to customer. Told him to follow me to Mac section.

Showed him all the software available (including virus software), quite a big selection for a CompUSA. Showed him the mini and iMac 17". Went over software it ships with. He asked about creating PDF's so I created a few on the fly and he was amazed.

I had to go but he had a lot more questions. I told him he should leave CompUSA as the salesmen was lying to him and go across the strett to the mall and visit the Apple Store for a proper demo. He thanked me as he walked out and I went to pay for the PSP.

If he switches, he would be like my 150th. I used to be a reseller in the 90's.
Wow, that's awesome. See, that's what I was expecting when we went into CompUSA (I'd heard all of the horror stories), but the sales guys there were all very nice and helpful, and pointed us straight to the Mac section. I guess not all computer store employees are idiots...