Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wangle99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Bought my teen daughter a second hand macbook for Christmas. It was purchased from friends whom we know well and their equipment is always kept well.

It seems to have an issue when waking from sleep. It doesn't do it every time though (my daughter reckons about 4 out of 10 times).

She opens the screen, it comes on but is black and has the spinning apple ball wherever the mouse is. The screen then goes off after about a minute. It then comes to life (without it being touched although my daughter thinks it may be her pressing a key that brings it back) you can't actually use it though, the webpage will load but you cannot do anything apart from close the screen down. The bar at the top (sorry don't know proper name) is unresponsive.

The only way to clear it is to power off and on with the button. The macbook is running the latest version of mountain lion and all updates have been done.

Any advice gratefully received - I have googled and come up with various problems with the screen closing but not quite the same as this!

Thank you in advance

Sarah

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Do you get picture with the display or is it like being off?
if youre not getting video its either the LCD or the Inverter board (happens alot in white/black macbooks)

if you are getting video, id first try a new hard drive. you can get them reasonably priced at newegg, id suggest a 128GB SSD unless you need something larger then get a regular mechanical HDD which are less than $90 for 320GB-750GB

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
Bought my teen daughter a second hand macbook for Christmas. It was purchased from friends whom we know well and their equipment is always kept well.

It seems to have an issue when waking from sleep. It doesn't do it every time though (my daughter reckons about 4 out of 10 times).

She opens the screen, it comes on but is black and has the spinning apple ball wherever the mouse is. The screen then goes off after about a minute. It then comes to life (without it being touched although my daughter thinks it may be her pressing a key that brings it back) you can't actually use it though, the webpage will load but you cannot do anything apart from close the screen down. The bar at the top (sorry don't know proper name) is unresponsive.

The only way to clear it is to power off and on with the button. The macbook is running the latest version of mountain lion and all updates have been done.

Any advice gratefully received - I have googled and come up with various problems with the screen closing but not quite the same as this!

Thank you in advance

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

It sounds to me like you might need to reinstall the OS. But first, check to see if it is updated, there may be a firmware update.

As the poster above me said, you might also want to look into replacing the hard drive. But first backup and reinstall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.