Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kreew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
Hi guys!

I tried to install Windows 7 with boot camp on my macbook air mid 2012 the other day with one of those student licenses Microsoft provides for certain universities. Downloaded one called "Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 Debug/Checked Build 64-bit (English)". The description says something about Win 7 Professional, but im not sure if its a typo or not, since when i installed the OS i could choose between about 15 different versions (32 and 64 bit versions of Home, Professional and Ultimate and i think it was english and US english versions of them). I chose Win 7 Ultimate.

When i then tried to install the drivers it all failed. First i got some message that a file called msvcr100.dll were missing, which i resolved by a bit of googleing and installed some C++ thing from Microsofts website, but after that it didnt work either.

There was one of those messages popping up from the start bar or what its called at the right side of the screen, that said that some of the drivers werent installed properly. When the installation of all the drivers were completed, windows crashed.

I tried this several times, but same thing every time.

Anyone have an idea of what the matter might be? Has it to do with the fact that i chose Win 7 Ultimate and not one of the other versions? No?

Thanks,
Kreew

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
It doesn't really matter if you install the home, pro, ultimate, or enterprise edition. Bootcamp drivers are the same for all of these. I think that your install disc is actually a debug program, not the real windows. Ask your university whether you got the pro, ultimate, or enterprise edition. Then download the windows .iso file freely (I can't give you the link, but it's available legally through some microsoft sites). Then use the microsoft tool to create install media on a usb flash drive. Install from the usb flash drive and enter the license key number your university gave you.

Kreew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
It doesn't really matter if you install the home, pro, ultimate, or enterprise edition. Bootcamp drivers are the same for all of these. I think that your install disc is actually a debug program, not the real windows. Ask your university whether you got the pro, ultimate, or enterprise edition. Then download the windows .iso file freely (I can't give you the link, but it's available legally through some microsoft sites). Then use the microsoft tool to create install media on a usb flash drive. Install from the usb flash drive and enter the license key number your university gave you.

Ok thanks. I wont be able to get a hold of them for a couple of weeks, so ill just try and do it again.

After i installed Windows i realized that i dont have a boot up disc of OS X. Looked some tutorials up on youtube and so on, but they all included downloading the .dmg file from app store, the thing is that i had Mountain Lion installed when i got hte computer, and to get the file from app store i have to pay around 15 USD to be able to download it. Does anyone know how to create a boot up USB drive without downloading it from app store?

Thanks,
Kreew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.