Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I'm a college student working in Communication and Digital Media. I do digital photo editing with Photoshop, very light if any video editing, lots of audio mixing/editing. I love surfing the internet, that's probably what I do the most! But I multitask like crazy and love having many windows open at the same time (who doesn't?!) And I'd like to play Madden and NBA Live as well.

Ok, so I bought the smoking PowerMac Dual 2ghz G5 with 1GB RAM, 9600XT a few weeks ago. I got Photoshop, Audio Hijack Pro, Logic Express, Toast 7 Titanium, all the goodies. So what's wrong? What's wrong is that I need a TV-Tuner I can record shows on, Adobe Audition for mixing (I know I have Logic Express, but Audition is THE format in radio right now). And I spent $1,750 for it.

The thing is, I'm having withdrawals from the PC!!! What's that about? I know I can buy an external TV-tuner card for the Mac and people say the Mac will last longer, I just don't know anymore. I was configuring a computer at newegg with these specs:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: CAC-T05-UW
$44.99

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black OEM - OEM
Model #: SOHW-1693S Black OEM
$37.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD1600JS
$79.99

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 - OEM
Model #: M93-00091
$124.95

SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: S12-430
$99.00

GIGABYTE GV-RX80256D Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: GV-RX80256D
$189.00

Hauppauge 1042 PCI Interface Win TV150 PVR-MCE Tuner Card for MCE - Retail
Model #: 1042
$67.00

GeIL Value Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model GE1GB3200BSC - Retail
Model #:GE1GB3200BSC
$97.44

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
Model #:ADA3800BVBOX

GIGABYTE GA-K8VT890-9 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #:GA-K8VT890-9
$416.01 COMBINED FOR BOTH

TOTAL $1,156.37

So I'd be saving $600 with that system if I put this Mac up on ebay, which in many opinions, is better than the PM Dual G5.

So I guess I'm looking at your all's opinions. I know you love Macs (most of you) so try to be objective. Should I stay or should I go??

Thanks for reading this incredibly long post.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
dwd3885 said:
I'm a college student working in Communication and Digital Media. I do digital photo editing with Photoshop, very light if any video editing, lots of audio mixing/editing. I love surfing the internet, that's probably what I do the most! But I multitask like crazy and love having many windows open at the same time (who doesn't?!) And I'd like to play Madden and NBA Live as well.

Ok, so I bought the smoking PowerMac Dual 2ghz G5 with 1GB RAM, 9600XT a few weeks ago. I got Photoshop, Audio Hijack Pro, Logic Express, Toast 7 Titanium, all the goodies. So what's wrong? What's wrong is that I need a TV-Tuner I can record shows on, Adobe Audition for mixing (I know I have Logic Express, but Audition is THE format in radio right now). And I spent $1,750 for it.

The thing is, I'm having withdrawals from the PC!!! What's that about? I know I can buy an external TV-tuner card for the Mac and people say the Mac will last longer, I just don't know anymore. I was configuring a computer at newegg with these specs:

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: CAC-T05-UW
$44.99

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD Burner Model SOHW-1693S Black OEM - OEM
Model #: SOHW-1693S Black OEM
$37.99

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD1600JS
$79.99

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 - OEM
Model #: M93-00091
$124.95

SeaSonic S12-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: S12-430
$99.00

GIGABYTE GV-RX80256D Radeon X800 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: GV-RX80256D
$189.00

Hauppauge 1042 PCI Interface Win TV150 PVR-MCE Tuner Card for MCE - Retail
Model #: 1042
$67.00

GeIL Value Series 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model GE1GB3200BSC - Retail
Model #:GE1GB3200BSC
$97.44

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
Model #:ADA3800BVBOX

GIGABYTE GA-K8VT890-9 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #:GA-K8VT890-9
$416.01 COMBINED FOR BOTH

TOTAL $1,156.37

So I'd be saving $600 with that system if I put this Mac up on ebay, which in many opinions, is better than the PM Dual G5.

So I guess I'm looking at your all's opinions. I know you love Macs (most of you) so try to be objective. Should I stay or should I go??

Thanks for reading this incredibly long post.

It depends what you want. I know you can get a PC with better specs for less, but for me, I love Macs because I love the way they work and the way they look. They're just great machines, and you know the PM will have better resale value should you decide to sell it. But if you don't care about those things, get the PC then.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
MUCKYFINGERS said:
It depends what you want. I know you can get a PC with better specs for less, but for me, I love Macs because I love the way they work and the way they look. They're just great machines, and you know the PM will have better resale value should you decide to sell it. But if you don't care about those things, get the PC then.

i do have a gateway PC laptop that I could put Audition on. Then maybe get a tuner for the Mac later. I know it would be more expensive to keep the G5. OSX is sweet, as far as gaming, i don't know. maybe get the next gen xbox, but that's more money that i could do on a pc for way less

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Yeah, TV Tuners suck on the Mac, as far as I know. But seriously. Windows appauls me everytime I use it. I don't know how anyone can! Such a piece of !@#$.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
and that home built computer is worse in the most important fact.

It runs windows or Linux, OS X is by far a better OS and you get what you pay for in this world. If you want to go cheap then deal with the cheap crap, if you want good then pay for it.

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Excuse me, not meaning to be insulting, but your logic eludes me? You will be saving 600 dollars, you'll have to spend over that for software, that is not saving anything. That's even besides the fact that you'll have to work in Windows and all that may imply. Wrong List?

Brian

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Eastend said:
Excuse me, not meaning to be insulting, but your logic eludes me? You will be saving 600 dollars, you'll have to spend over that for software, that is not saving anything. That's even besides the fact that you'll have to work in Windows and all that may imply. Wrong List?

Brian

i won't have to spend any in software actually. what software is there to get? I already have the software I need. I am a techie, and I've been fine on Windows for the past 8 years. If OS X is better than Windows is all we've got, then maybe I should go

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
eva01 said:

It runs windows or Linux, OS X is by far a better OS and you get what you pay for in this world. If you want to go cheap then deal with the cheap crap, if you want good then pay for it.

are you saying the X2 is cheap crap? I am pretty sure it beats the G5 in most benchmarks. I could be wrong.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dwd3885 said:
are you saying the X2 is cheap crap? I am pretty sure it beats the G5 in most benchmarks. I could be wrong.

yes that is exactly what i am saying, by stating that OS X is much better than Windows, it obviously implies that the X2 is crap.

WTF are you smoking?

read my post again

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
eva01 said:

The PC's hardware is actually a lot stronger than the PowerMac, although OSX is better than Windows, but that's about all that's better in this situation.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
obviously with the cheap crap i mean Windows (the entire point of the post duh!)

And i would rather spend 3K on a machine that runs OS X then build my own superior (hardware wise) machine that runs windows for 600.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
eva01 said:
obviously with the cheap crap i mean Windows (the entire point of the post duh!)

And i would rather spend 3K on a machine that runs OS X then build my own superior (hardware wise) machine that runs windows for 600.

i know what you would do now, but what about what i should do, based on my needs and wants? so it's basically just for OSX?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
well for image, video, and audio editing i would just have a Mac if it were just for games then go for windows.

If you think you can deal with windows being windows and do all those types of programs then by all means go for what is cheaper. And multitasking is MUCH MUCH MUCH better on OS X than windows in my opinion.

But the decision can only be made by you.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah you could buy a new PC or you could just head over to elgato.com and have a look at their Mac TV tuners. It's your money and life though so do whatever you want, personally the only thing I'd get rid of my Power Mac G5 for would be a faster Power Mac!

edit: I just read over your post again is this one of those Macs are too expensive things? I don't get it, it sounds like you've made up your mind that you want a new PC, are you actually asking people to help talk you out of it, or are you advertising PC hardware? Anyway do what you want, if you can't see why OS X is the better desktop OS I guess you should just buy your PC.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
risc said:
Yeah you could buy a new PC or you could just head over to elgato.com and have a look at their Mac TV tuners. It's your money and life though so do whatever you want, personally the only thing I'd get rid of my Power Mac G5 for would be a faster Power Mac!

edit: I just read over your post again is this one of those Macs are too expensive things? I don't get it, it sounds like you've made up your mind that you want a new PC, are you actually asking people to help talk you out of it, or are you advertising PC hardware? Anyway do what you want, if you can't see why OS X is the better desktop OS I guess you should just buy your PC.

well i haven't made up my mind but i was actually trying to get people to talk me out of it. the thing is, I absolutely loved my mac the first two weeks, but this past week i've been thinking if i spent too much on it to justify it. i can possibly swing it with working more hours. Just a tradeoff i might have to make. i mean, my pc laptop is fine, i just surf the net with it though. i did just install Adobe Audition on my laptop. I think I might stick with the PowerMac, and get a tuner later. What do ya'll think?

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Stick with the Power Mac. I'm a college student as well, and many of my friends running Windows have had major computer problems. I actually don't know many people who haven't had problems with their systems. You'll definitely regret giving up such a beautiful system, I'd give it at least a couple more weeks before you decide.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
snkTab said:
Take it from me, someone who actually paid more than you for a power supply... it's not worth it.

not worth it to buy the PC?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
After getting a Mac, I'm really surprised that someone would have PC withdrawal. Best to just go cold turkey and enjoy the Mac.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Some of us have Macs AND PCs because there are some things you need a PC for. I have a cheapy I built for a couple of hundred dollars a few years ago, and it serves it's purpose, especially with some modest upgrades. But I really hate Windows. I work on it all day, and I see just how bad it can get on a regular occasion. It depends on what you do though. If you need a PC for something, don't mind Windows quirks, and the Mac isn't doing it for you, there it is. But just remember that you get what you pay for. And yeah, it is all about the software. Start playing around with the Mac a little more. Use iLife and get a Miglia AlchemyTV DVR PCI for TV in. Maybe soup up the RAM and hard drives as you can afford it.

But if not, sell it on eBay, take a small loss, and build yourself the PC. To each his own. We think Macs are great, but that doesn't mean everybody does. Just don't start talking smack about how much they suck, because that doesn't help anybody. And hey, maybe you could try again when the Intel Macs come out. Or buy a refurb mini or iBook or something to play with. It's all good.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It seems to me that you like doing or are use to doing your power work and gaming on a PC. If this is the case my advise would be to ebay the G5 and the PC laptop. Then switch around get a simple 12" iBook for web surfing and other task you use your current laptop for. Then build the high end PC for your editing, gaming and TIVO needs. I know many PC/mac users who love this arrangement. The total cost of ownership would be the same as you spent right now. However, if you do choose this route perform photoshop tasks on the Mac it is much nicer than the windows version.

I've been using macs and windows side my side since System 7.0 and DOS 6 with Windows 3.1. After this many variants of both OSes I must say that whatever works best for you is what you should use. Ignor the evangelists and zealots, they give poor credibility to sensible mac users. Whom simply prefer the elegance of the Mac operating system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.