PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for good offline Dictionary

dreamerdonkey
Dec 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
Hi, I have a problem, I need a good offline dictionary for my iPad. I travel a lot and for that reason internet connection is not always available for me so online dictionary is no good for me. And also English is not my first language (by this time I think you already understand how bad my English is and I am sorry for that. ) So please help me guys. Any opinion and suggestion is welcome.

Chataupiano
Jan 4, 2013, 06:48 PM
There's a lot of offline dictionaries. You'll have to be specific about what you're looking for. Do you want a monolingual English dictionary? Or a bilingual dictionary? Two very cheap English only dictionaries are available offline, the one by Dictionary.com and Webster-Miriam. Try the ad-supported versions first to see which one you like better. Personally I use Chambers 11th edition, which is more expensive and something that I wouldn't recommend to a non-native English speaker. I've also tried the American Heritage Dictionary fifth edition, which costs 50 dollars - I don't recommend it though because it lags. A good learner's dictionary (that I've also tried) is Longman developed by Enfour (the same guys who made AHD). Longman's explanations are all very clear and easy to understand and give plenty of example sentences plus audio pronunciations even offline. So if your English isn't all that good, I'd recommend Longman.

dreamerdonkey
Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks. Found one :D