PDA

View Full Version : Running App - Turn by Turn Directions?

dinggus
Dec 30, 2012, 11:36 PM
I love Nike+GPS, but my buddy was saying he ran his normal 2miles and it was inaccurate. So he used MapMyRun and he said he loves it and it's been accurate.

So with that being said, I was thinking, does Nike+GPS or MayMyRun have turn by turn directions? I just moved and I don't want to just run, I'd like to create my maps and run and be told when I get to my turning point. Probably a silly request on my behalf.

Does anyone have any input on what it better? I haven't used MapMyRun, but I like Nike+GPS on how it motivates me when I'm running.

dinggus
Jan 2, 2013, 08:15 PM
None of these apps have turn-by-turn when running?

soch
Jan 3, 2013, 01:16 AM
You can try Extra Mile, it records your trip details and give turn by turn directions.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id439589978

Dunmail
Jan 3, 2013, 06:04 AM
When running/cycling the last thing I'd want is to have earphones blocking out any external sound :rolleyes: If I'm on road then I want to know when the b******s are going to run me over and when off-road I like to hear what's going on around me.

I use Strava for post run/ride analysis but figure out my route before hand and either take a map (the old fashioned paper type) or trust to luck. This latter may not be a good idea if you live near a rough neighbourhood :eek: Once I've been on a path/road then I tend to remember it and build up a map in my head so I rarely get lost. If you rely on gadgets or even someone else to do your navigating for you then you'll never get better at it.

Just my 2p.

dinggus
Jan 3, 2013, 02:38 PM
You can try Extra Mile, it records your trip details and give turn by turn directions.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id439589978

Thanks, I'll look into it.

When running/cycling the last thing I'd want is to have earphones blocking out any external sound :rolleyes: If I'm on road then I want to know when the b******s are going to run me over and when off-road I like to hear what's going on around me.

I use Strava for post run/ride analysis but figure out my route before hand and either take a map (the old fashioned paper type) or trust to luck. This latter may not be a good idea if you live near a rough neighbourhood :eek: Once I've been on a path/road then I tend to remember it and build up a map in my head so I rarely get lost. If you rely on gadgets or even someone else to do your navigating for you then you'll never get better at it.

Just my 2p.

I refuse to ride my motorcycle or go running without music, so it's a must. As for wanting turn by turn directions, I'd rather make a map online, sync it to my device and go run. I don't want to run the same routes over and over, it'll get boring, nor do I want to go find routes.