PDA

View Full Version : Even Linux copies Apple design

crassusad44
Dec 3, 2002, 05:10 PM
I got this screenie from the official Linux Mandrake site (www.mandrake.com):

http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/screenshots/90scr3.png

I know (along with every other on this board) that M$ copycats Apples' every move, but it really bugs me that those Linux guys can't get their fingers off the plate either. Freakin' IDIOTS!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And oh, why does Mandrake 9.0 have transparency on the menus? Maybe they thought it was «original»?

Arrrg... This stuff makes me angry!

crassusad44
Dec 3, 2002, 05:12 PM
http://images.mandrakesoft.com/img/screenshots/82scr06.jpg

vniow
Dec 3, 2002, 05:26 PM
That's a theme you can get at www.kde-look.org. Similar themes are avalible for Windows, none of them come with the copy of Mandrake itself you have to install it from a 3rd-party.

Oh, and they copied transparancies? So what, it's not like Apple had a trademark on it.

Funny how nobody complains about the Crystal theme or the XP theme for OSX.......

bousozoku
Dec 3, 2002, 05:27 PM
It just looks like a gnome 2.x theme, not as if Linus Torvalds wanted Aqua for himself. There are others for Windows as well.

Get used to it...there are plenty of clever people out there who don't have any original ideas.

sageenos
Dec 3, 2002, 05:34 PM
This sort of thing makes you angry? I can't seem to see why the way a gui looks would be important enough to get angry over. The picture is of a person's desktop who probably thinks that the Mac look is nice. There are many other themes available for linux that don't try and mimic OSX. There are plenty of linux users who don't use an OSX-like theme so it really is unfair to classify all "linux guys" as trying to rip off Apple. Really, in the end, all the themes that mimic Apple software are just a testament to Apple's great developers. Imitation is after all the sincerest form of flattery.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 3, 2002, 05:41 PM
Ha, I'm not bothered by it - in this case I see it more along the lines of the copying is the most sincere form of flatery. Besides, it is Linux here - open source and all, they're not making billions on it.....

I don't know spanish, but I understand the most of the first image - I laughed when I saw - es punto del plano and es punto de la recta! :D

D

medea
Dec 3, 2002, 05:55 PM
If what you said were actually the case this time, shouldnt you be happy about it? Dont be so greedy man, Apple's revolutions benefit everyone who learns from them.

kylos
Dec 3, 2002, 06:28 PM
Did you notice the transparent terminal. They even copied that. What's sad is how the windows are os X like but OpenOffice still uses a gray scheme.

sparkleytone
Dec 3, 2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Kyle?
Did you notice the transparent terminal. They even copied that. What's sad is how the windows are os X like but OpenOffice still uses a gray scheme.

actually the transparency is quite fake. all it really does is paint the desktop behind it. there is no live transparency updating in xfree. just drag the window and youd see it. also, even if there are apps under it, it still shows the desktop background instead of the app behind it.

relax...its just flattery as duke said. and really, its not anywhere near as good. a GUI is not just looks, its a philosophy.

kenkooler
Dec 3, 2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Kyle?

Actually transparent terminals have existed in XFree long before MacOS X appeared.
Also, considering all the quality ports the open source community has made to MacOS X you shouldn't be mad just because a theme for a window manager in Linux that resembles the Aqua interface has been made.