PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pixels on a PowerBook 12"

gamestriker
Sep 28, 2005, 01:20 AM
So I open up my PowerBook 12" and surf over to a webpage that has a black background when I notice that there seems to be what looks like a barely noticable blot there, almost like a fingerprint. I immediately assume its just that, a fingerprint mark, so as per the manual, I grab a soft cloth, dip it in water, lift up my screen protector and try and wipe it off; it won't come off.

I start thinking the worst: dead pixels. But then I thought "how could that have happened? shouldn't I have noticed that before? and how could there be this many?" I treat my electronics as if they were my own children (minus the occassional wear-and-tear that comes from totting around a laptop). I knew that the mark hadn't been there before. I also had never heard of there being more than a few dead pixels at a time.

Now I have no idea what I should do about this. I'll be close to an apple store this weekend so I can take it there if I need to, but I hope I don't because I'm a college student, and I rely on my PowerBook on a daily basis, not just for homework and fun, but for classes and dealing with my school accounts (my university does almost everything online).

I'll try to get a picture of it up ASAP. Any advice on how I should deal with this is appreciated. My PowerBook specs are on my signature. I've had it since February 12th.

risc
Sep 28, 2005, 01:50 AM
I notice that there seems to be what looks like a barely noticable blot there, almost like a fingerprint.

I had a TFT monitor with something like this before I just assumed it was damaged in transit and took it back to get it replaced, but if you've had the notebook since February it really depends on Apple I guess, I'd take the machine in to the store and show them and try to get the TFT replaced under warranty.

Good luck with it.

edit:I notice you say barely noticable though on the TFT I got replaced it looked like the TFT had been damaged by someone putting there finger on it too hard. I guess that photo is in order, but barely noticable doesn't sound too good for a warranty claim imo.