Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Red Menace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
My fan seems to be running a lot more than it used to when the computer was newer. For instance, when I am playing Tiger Woods PGA 2003 the fan runs almost full time. The computer sits on a table, I dont know if that matters. How often is it typical for the fan to run? Should it be running when all I am doing is surfing the internet? Could it be the aftermarket ram? I did a search but couldn't really find any answers. The computer is the one listed below, and the fan is turing on once every ten min or so.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Do you have other applications running now that you didn't when the book was new? IE lots of widgets on Dashboard, process monitors on top of your screen, more processor intensive tasks then when you first got your computer?

Other things may be playing into this too, for instance. Does your iBook see lots of dust, is there some in the vents? It could just be getting less airflow then when it was new and have to work harder.

The Red Menace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
840quadra said:
Do you have other applications running now that you didn't when the book was new? IE lots of widgets on Dashboard, process monitors on top of your screen, more processor intensive tasks then when you first got your computer?

Other things may be playing into this too, for instance. Does your iBook see lots of dust, is there some in the vents? It could just be getting less airflow then when it was new and have to work harder.

I did install Tiger recently and I do have 6 widgets running. How many should I take off? The fan is going on for 10 min, then off for ten min, roughly.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Games bought from recent will put a toll on an older iBook and really even the new models.

I would not be to concerned about the fan as it functions when the iBook reaches a certain temperature and continues untill a certain decrease. Really what have you done to provoke this? With my iBook the Hardrive plays a huge role when the fan is turned on, what apps are being used that access the hardrive is another question to ask yourself.

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
The Red Menace said:
My fan seems to be running a lot more than it used to when the computer was newer. For instance, when I am playing Tiger Woods PGA 2003 the fan runs almost full time.

This happens to me especially when playing Mr.Wood's golf games or using very Java heavy applications. I don't think it's much to worry about the machine is just working harder. I got ThermographX to keep an eye on what is going on on my iBook; a useful feature is once you have some data you can compare your temp stats with everyone elses and find out if yours is exceptional...... then if it is contact Apple.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
DeSnousa said:
Games bought from recent will put a toll on an older iBook and really even the new models.

I would not be to concerned about the fan as it functions when the iBook reaches a certain temperature and continues untill a certain decrease. Really what have you done to provoke this? With my iBook the Hardrive plays a huge role when the fan is turned on, what apps are being used that access the hardrive is another question to ask yourself.

That sonds about right.

My fan is off unless I am doing work in iMovie, or iDVD. But then again my iBook is a G3 and runs cooler.

I did note, however, that when I upgraded it to tiger, it did run a bit warmer (to the legs), but I could have been paying more attention.

The Red Menace

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
sdreed25 said:
This happens to me especially when playing Mr.Wood's golf games or using very Java heavy applications. I don't think it's much to worry about the machine is just working harder. I got ThermographX to keep an eye on what is going on on my iBook; a useful feature is once you have some data you can compare your temp stats with everyone elses and find out if yours is exceptional...... then if it is contact Apple.

I took these temps last night when the fan was going on and off every ten min or so.
Graphics processor bottomside:62.8c
Power supply/memory bottomside 55.2c
Processor bottomside 68.0c
Smart Disk: 53.0c

Anyone have any numbers to compare?

:confused: :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.