Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solsearchin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I still have mine, its still running strong but not sure if I should upgrade or keep it for another 2 years. How is everyone else's 2010's holding up?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I still have mine, its still running strong but not sure if I should upgrade or keep it for another 2 years. How is everyone else's 2010's holding up?

Over the last year or so the SSD's in the 2009's have been failing.

I personally know of a 2010 and a 2011 that have had the screen go out on them - which can be fixed through the aftermarket.

But other than that they are pretty solid.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have what used to be known as the 'Rev C' MBA - which I bought in September 2010 when returning from a posting abroad after two years. Indeed, the Rev C was seen as a considerable improvement (much more reliable) than its predecessors.

In any case, I had planned to get a MBA ever since they first came out, (at that time I had a MBP) but my employers supplied laptops and I didn't need my own one while working abroad. Besides, the work environment was Windows only.

Shortly after that, I also bought Applecare for it.

It is a beautiful computer, one which I have used since daily as my main computer. It has travelled a lot with me and is utterly reliable. Thus far, the magsafe adaptor needed replacing (which Applecare took care of), as did the keyboard, when some of the keys got stuck (again, Applecare did the needful).

Having had the benefit of the blazing fast SSD drive, (and the wonderful portability) I do not wish ever to return to a HDD drive on a computer (not when I am purchasing one for myself). Actually, my MBP suffered a HDD failure (also replaced under Applecare). Indeed, until the larger SSD drives come down in price, I have no intention of switching to a retina MBP as a main, 'desk' style computer, - despite the very attractive screen - and migrating to an 11" MBA for travel, which is probably my ideal spec a few years down the line.

Later this year, before Applecare runs out I will probably sell this MBA on and replace it with a more recent model; at present, my only debate is whether I decide to select a maxed out model (8GB and 512SSD), or satisfy myself with a the model with 4GB Ram and 256SSD.

However, to answer the OP's question: yes, my 2010 MBA is still going strong, it is an excellent computer, one which I have used a lot and must say it is by far the best computer I have ever owned.

iNole

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
A-Town
I have a 2010 11" MBA... saving up for an upgrade later this year though when Haswell Macbooks are released. Really, my main complaint is that I bought the baseline 64 GB and it's not nearly enough storage.

Chris Morgan

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2010
My wife bought me the 4 gig 256 ssd model for an early Valentines Day present in early 2011 and it is still going strong. I'm currently lusting after a retina Mbp but will wait until the refresh.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
I use a late 2010 13" MBA (bought in spring 2011) almost daily, and my wife uses a 2010 11" MBA (bought in July 2011) slightly less often. They are both fantastic. I initially bought both because of the rumors that Lion would not support PPC software. I have not been disappointed with either of these computers. They are absolutely fantastic, and offer the best of both worlds with respect to the OS - they both run on snow leopard, but will also run the latest, ML. I have no plans to replace either of these computers until they are beyond repair. Yes, the newer MBA's are faster, but they also run hotter. My 13" MBA runs super cool - it's probably the best laptop I have ever owned.

bushidounohana

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
St. Louis, MO (USA)

I've got a 13 incher (2.13GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD) that is still the best laptop I've ever owned. I'm primarily a writer that also does light graphic design/Photoshop work in CS4 with an occasional light video edit in Final Cut Pro X (short 1-2 minute spots).

I even do some very light gaming on the machine still, between a variety of emulators, Wineskin wrapped ports, and even OS X native games like Tomb Raider Underworld and Trine 2.

I've been tempted several times by Retina MacBook Pros, but the old boy still has some life in him!

Pinkie Pie

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2012
Los Angeles
I'm considering buying an Air next year, and this thread is making me feel wary - shouldn't your 2 year old laptop still be pretty much perfect??

Squelch

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
TLH, FL
I'm typing this on a first-gen MacBook Air 1,1. I mostly use it for Word, PowerPoint and Excel, for mail, and to surf the web. I had the hinge replaced a few years ago, and just this week I replaced the 80GB HDD with an OWC 128GB SSD. The hard drive was working, but I wanted to replace it.

I have a Mac Pro that I also bought in January 2008 and it's my workhorse for photo and video work, and gaming on Windows.

I was lusting after the MacBook Pro with Retina, but realized that I don't need it for what I do on my laptop. Right now I'm thinking I might just wait another couple of years until they come out with a laptop that has a touch screen, as I've played with Windows 8 on a Sony with a touch screen, and it's nice to be able to touch sometimes.

Also, for reference, I still have a 2004 12" Powerbook G4 that I use in my garage to look up maintenance manuals, listen to internet radio, etc. So I don't really get rid of computers too often... :D

solsearchin

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I'm usually the same way but my windows PCs ( Sony mainly) usually end up having problems after a year, requiring replacement. I want to push 5 years with my computers.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Bought in January 2011, my late 2010 MBA 11" is fine. I should have gotten 4GB RAM instead of 2GB, though. But as a more or less casual user it is ok. I will probably not upgrade until 2014.

wakey

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
UK
Still got my "Ultimate" 13" bought in late Nov 2010. Its had a new screen (thanks Applecare) and the battery is down to 4.5 ish hours but its still going strong :)

Thinking of an upgrade but probably need to upgrade 2009 24" iMac as well so need to decide which one comes first!!

Steve

cedwhatev

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Canada
I don't get these topics... 2010 MBA's are better than most new PC's. I just had mine up until this past October, and it would have sufficed for quite a while longer... had I not wanted the 8GB of RAM.. :rolleyes:

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Handed down my late 2010 MBA 13" to my wife. Until last month, she was running on a 2006 Rev A Whitebook which was on its second battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.