PDA

View Full Version : PB HORROR: Almost had a heart attack this morning!!!11

brepublican
Sep 28, 2005, 01:41 PM
Ok, so I dop still have the occasional nightmare that I have scratched my PB (I've only had it for 2 weeks now). But this morning, I woke up to an even nastier surprise. I had put my 12"er to sleep the night before and closed it, leaving the Apple Pro speakers connected (via Firewire). It was plugged in and was not running on battery.

So imagine my surprise when it failed to wake up. I took about 5 min trying to get it to wake up, pressing shift, return, space bar, etc. Then surprise turned to shock. I was like wtf? :mad: :confused: I could hear it was on, but it wasnt waking up! Power button didnt work either. Took a long shower, came back; nothing. I had to spend like 20 min reading the user's guide. Then I tried ctrl + command + power and phew! It FINALLY turned on! Missed a class cuz of this freak attack.

Anyone have a clue as to why this happened?

eva01
Sep 28, 2005, 01:45 PM
Could have been the speakers since they were not built for the powerbook.

and next time this happens you can always hold down the power button for 4-5 seconds to shut it down, then press it again to turn it on.

Mord
Sep 28, 2005, 02:03 PM
those speakers soak up allot of juice so it may have screwed the PMU thus needing reseting like you did.

Eniregnat
Sep 28, 2005, 02:07 PM
Could have been the speakers since they were not built for the powerbook.

and next time this happens you can always hold down the power button for 4-5 seconds to shut it down, then press it again to turn it on.

The front most USB port on my 12" provides power, even when the computer is asleep. I don't think the back one does. In any case, I charge my phone off my PB, and I once did the same thing. The battery took time to charge, before the computer came on line. I like both of these features. 1-ability to use my PB to power other electronics, and I like protecting the battery.

My guess is that the speakers kept drawing power, even though your computer was asleep and you weren't attached to the AC.

There is a second possible cause. I noticed that I had trouble starting my computer after the last upgrade. I may be the only one that had that problem.

Lacero
Sep 28, 2005, 02:09 PM
Then I tried ctrl + command + power and phew!May want to give a warning to other PB users reading this who are tempted to press this keyboard combination on their PowerBooks.

MacsRgr8
Sep 28, 2005, 02:48 PM
I've seen this happen alot of time on iBooks and PowerBooks at work.
They seem to "hang" during sleep, not being able to wake up. C'est tout.

Like you said, pressing < CTRL >, < ALT >, < POWER > forces the restart, and all's well.

BTW, whenever I have forced a restart on a Mac, I always follow with a reboot in Single User mode, to fun fsck -fy. Pretty often you'll find that some minor repairs had to be done. Just some advice. :)