Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I NEED one of these. I've seen them around, Sony makes something similar. I would love to be able to use that in class instead of my bigass PB (never thought I would be able to call a PB "bigass"). Think it would be possible to run x86 Tiger on there? I'm sure its only a matter of time.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Stuff like this makes you think "ooo amazing", but in all honesty, I'd rather see better processor, ram, hard drive and battery life etc in a 12' laptop.

The smaller ibooks/p'books are just the ultimate in portability but are lacking in terms of the inner guts of the computer.

It's too early to replace anything else at the minute.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
EGT said:
Stuff like this makes you think "ooo amazing", but in all honesty, I'd rather see better processor, ram, hard drive and battery life etc in a 12' laptop.

The smaller ibooks/p'books are just the ultimate in portability but are lacking in terms of the inner guts of the computer.

It's too early to replace anything else at the minute.

This isn't supposed to replace your main computer though. I think of it as a very powerful PDA. Imagine having access to your email, calendar, contacts, as well as having real applications to do real work on a plane or in a meeting. It is basically the midpoint between a PDA/iPod combo and a 12" laptop. If the OSX for x86 can be hacked to work on this machine, I -will- buy one.

Hickman

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
DaftUnion said:
It'd be cooler if Apple designed one...

Of course it would. I can only dream that Apple would consider entering this market. But, considering that the market is so small, I doubt that it will ever happen.

Hickman

Studawg7

macrumors regular
May 15, 2004
Cville, VA
these devices are really cool. apple probably wont ever make one though unfortunetly. im not sure how much id carry it around though given its so expensive!! at least with a palm you arent laying out a couple grand and it will still do practically everything you want it to do.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I think there is a market for Apple in the uPC/TabletPC/PowerPDA/SmartPhone area, if they enter it quickly. With Palm dumping ther own OS in favor of MS PocketPC for the Treo I guess PalmOS has a limited future across the Tungsten/Zire range leaving this market totally dominated by MS. I think this'll be bad for Apple 'cause these smartphone devices will in the near future replace the iPod for many people's music needs as well as email and on-the-go internet browsing. I know I'm ready to spend $1000 on this sought of device and when I take that plunge I fear it'll result in me switching to a MS Windows PC at home for the convenience of integration. I'll hold out till this time next year to see if Apple can pull anything out of the bag with their Mactels but if not I'll get a PocketPC XDA Exec/Nokia 9500 or similar and almost certainly next time round I'll get a PC rather than Mac. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.