Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

non fiction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2002
Sydney
With all this talk of Quark v. InDesign, I have a question........

In Quark it is possible to put all kind of text and picture elements on a Master Page, some locked and some free, so that when using the master page within the document, you can access the unlocked elements to add text or picutes etc. A locked element remain fixed, while an unlocked picture box can be accessed, for example. This obviously gives a perfectly uniform multi page layout with so little work.

With InDesign I cannot seem to achieve the same thing. Either locked or unlocked, all elements on a master page seem to locked when the master page is added to the document. This seems stupid. The only way I can achieve a consistent result on a large document where all pages share the identical layout is to add guides to the master page and then laboriously copy and paste onto each page.

What am I missing? Is this seemingly obvious feature in Quark missing from InDesign, or am I an idiot?

Someone help me please.

:(

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
check the manual for the exact short cut, but you have to select the object that's on the master by holding the command or control key and clicking.

that unlocks the object, and at that point you can edit / delete / restack, etc.

good luck.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
Does anyone know how to download the Swatch Libraries (Pantone, etc.) in InDesign? Also, when you go to print, they keep asking you to save instead. How does one print?

help

saabmp3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Tacoma, WA
do you have your default printer setup to a PDF printer? That would cause the printing error that you are having.

BEN

non fiction

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2002
Sydney
Originally posted by gernb
check the manual for the exact short cut, but you have to select the object that's on the master by holding the command or control key and clicking.

that unlocks the object, and at that point you can edit / delete / restack, etc.

good luck.

Thank you Thank you Thank you..

I had a pretty solid look through the manual, but couldn't find the shortcut or any reference to the action. That will make life so much easier. I just couldn't believe the feature wouldn't be included in the application.

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.