PDA

View Full Version : Drawbacks to the MBA?

Sully151
Jan 3, 2013, 07:25 PM
Hey All,

I have finally decided that it is time for a new computer (actually 2)

I am currently on an archaic iMac running an Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 G of memory.

Anyway, I am going to be getting a laptop very soon and a new iMac in the next few months if the world and my wife are on the same page as I am.

That being said, I think I am looking at the 13" MBA. I am going to probably max it out with the exception of the 512 GB flash.

It will be used for regular day to day use, a little photo/video editing (the brunt will be done on the iMac, I assume) and will be used for travel.

I have read a lot of positives for the MBA, but what I want to know is what are the negatives? Are there any faults that would/should lead me in the direction of the rMBP?

Thanks in advance!

Sully

zedsdead
Jan 3, 2013, 07:43 PM
It sounds perfect for what you want to do with it.

The only other choice would be the rMBP should you want a retina screen, but it doesn't sound like you need it.

rabidz7
Jan 3, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hey All,

I am currently on an archaic iMac running an Intel Core 2 Duo and 2 G of memory.

Anyway, I am going to be getting a laptop very soon and a new iMac in the next few months if the world and my wife are on the same page as I am.

That being said, I think I am looking at the 13" MBA. I am going to probably max it out with the exception of the 512 GB flash.

It will be used for regular day to day use, a little photo/video editing (the brunt will be done on the iMac, I assume) and will be used for travel.

I have read a lot of positives for the MBA, but what I want to know is what are the negatives? Are there any faults that would/should lead me in the direction of the rMBP?

Thanks in advance!

Sully

For what you are doing it will work, but for anything else it will be bottlenecked by the (nonexistent) GPU.

My 2005 powerbook has better graphics than the macbook air.

----------

Also, you can only get a graphics card in 15" macbookpros. The 13" is stuck on integrated.

danistyping
Jan 3, 2013, 08:11 PM

Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch?

Stingray454
Jan 3, 2013, 08:14 PM
In my opinion very few drawbacks. I'd say:

- A little tight on screen space (I'm normally on a 27" iMac, and use the 11" Air) - if you're using it for desktop work I recommend and external screen and it's no problem at all, but enough for surf/mail/movies.

- Wouldn't mind another USB port. I usually want to connect a mouse, keyboard, usb-stick and a phone charger to it.

- Have to use a USB-to-ethernet adapter or wireless (or thunderbolt-to-ethernet, but I currently use and external monitor in that port). I use gigabit LAN for my desktop computers / network storage, but the Air on WiFi, which means transferring large files takes longer. Guess it's fast enough, and there's really no way to fit an ethernet port on the air, so.. guess this boils down to needing more USB / TB ports as well :)

- When connected to a large display, it doesn't feel _quite_ as smooth when scrolling as I'm used to. For example, when scrolling a full-screen browser window full of images. I guess the HD4000 isn't quite as fast as my desktops GPU.

However, all of the above are very small issues for me. Screen size is OK on the 11" most of the time, especially when moving the dock to the left/right side. When stationary, I can connect it to a monitor anyways. WiFi is fast enough in 99% of the case, and I use a USB keyboard that gives me two extra USB ports on the keyboard. You can also use a Thunderbolt display that has a USB hub built-in. The graphics lag is barely noticeable in the 2012 Air, and the GPU is fast enough to do decent gaming on, but maybe not on an external display.

Overall, the 2012 Air is awesome. I went with 2Ghz i7 / 8 GB / 256 GB, and I use it daily for both professional work, surfing/movies and when traveling. Best computer I ever had.

53x12
Jan 3, 2013, 08:28 PM

:rolleyes: The Mobility Radeon 9700? lol

----------

Sounds like the MBA will be more than enough computer for you. Plus you would save some money over the 15" rMBP (cause why go with the 13" rMBP if you are going to get a rMBP?).

I sold my MBP to get my MBA. Best decision I have made. Especially for someone like you that travels a lot. You will appreciate it.

As far as negatives:

- 13" is the largest screen
- can't upgrade RAM after sale
- not as many ports as rMBP
- only integrated CPU
- speakers aren't as good as rMBP

rabidz7
Jan 3, 2013, 08:30 PM
Don't you think that's a bit of a stretch?

:rolleyes: The Mobility Radeon 9700? lol

----------

As far as negatives:

- 13" is the largest screen
- can't upgrade RAM after sale
- not as many ports as rMBP
- only integrated CPU
- speakers aren't as good as rMBP

Sounds like the MBA will be more than enough computer for you. Plus you would save some money over the 15" rMBP (cause why go with the 13" rMBP if you are going to get a rMBP?).

I sold my MBP to get my MBA. Best decision I have made. Especially for someone like you that travels a lot. You will appreciate it.

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Graphics ram is not everything, the GPU is just as important, the MBA does not have one.

53x12
Jan 3, 2013, 08:36 PM
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

Graphics ram is not everything, the GPU is just as important, the MBA does not have one.

That is incorrect.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 = 134
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 = 2

(higher is better)

http://novabench.com/gpuchart.php?a=1

Abazigal
Jan 4, 2013, 06:31 AM
There aren't really any drawbacks I can think of without it sounding like I am grasping at straws. I feel the macbook air looks and works great, and is reasonably priced to boot.

If I had to complain, it would be that the price of their spec upgrades is so expensive. :p

AndyWong
Jan 4, 2013, 06:39 AM
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

It is not possible to not have a GPU in a computer. It only integrated or dedicated one. :D

nightmars
Jan 4, 2013, 06:56 AM
My 2005 powerbook has better graphics than the macbook air.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------
So let's see whether your powerbook or my MB Air 11" from 2010 (or any 2012 MB Air) can fire up Portal 2 ;-)

or Duke Nukem Forever
or Doom 3
or Quake 4
or Most Wanted

Stingray454
Jan 4, 2013, 08:02 AM
So let's see whether your powerbook or my MB Air 11" from 2010 (or any 2012 MB Air) can fire up Portal 2 ;-)

For reference, I play World of Warcraft on my 2012 Air sometimes. Works like a charm. Though I usually limit the fps to 30 manually, this keeps the computer nice and cool while playing while it almost never drops below 30 fps. If I disable the FPS limit, I can get anywhere from 30-100 while doing quests / instances / raids, but with louder fans and hotter computer. So yeah, a bit better than the powerbook.

tgif1386
Jan 4, 2013, 08:05 AM
The only draw back I have is the power charger. It is easy to break and not durable. And it costs a fortune to have it replaced. :mad:

AdrianK
Jan 4, 2013, 08:10 AM
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200

You're saying that a GPU from 2004 is better than a GPU from 2012?!

or Doom 3

Funny you should say that, it might be able to. I know the FX5200 is the desktop card, but it might work (just not very well) :P

Mac Requirements:
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.8 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G4/G5 or later
CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 512 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 2.0GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 9600 or better
Video Card (NVIDIA): GeForce FX5200 or better
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB
Media Required: DVD Drive

Stingray454
Jan 4, 2013, 08:17 AM
The only draw back I have is the power charger. It is easy to break and not durable. And it costs a fortune to have it replaced. :mad:

+1 on that, or at least for the magsafe. The Magsafe 2 is just SO much worse than the 2010/2011 magsafe (I've had both). Disconnects all the time, you barely have to touch it. Though I never had any of them break.

cedwhatev
Jan 4, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yeah, for me, it's the MagSafe and SD card slot. I would actually like an SD card slot.. I didn't think I did at first, until I bought my Nikon DSLR...

Vandefilm
Jan 4, 2013, 08:39 AM
Uuh, if youre complaining about the magsafe 2 youre just searching for something to moan about. It works great and I can't see how you could break it without doing things to it that are just plain dumb.
If you're using it for what you say you are using it there are no draw backs. I can't think of a reason to buy an external monitor if you're also buying an iMac. I can't think of a reason you would have to exchange large files if you're also having an iMac and if you do, just use an external HDD and its beeped in a few minutes. I can't think of a reason to hook up an external mouse and keyboard if you're also having an iMac. And why the hell would you game on a MBA when you're having an iMac?

The only drawback I can think of is the battery life. You would want it to last a full day's of work when you're travelling and it's just not doing that (but which laptop is?).

nissan.gtp
Jan 4, 2013, 08:40 AM
I really like mine a lot. Drawbacks are inability to upgrade RAM and cost of SSD (so get it right when you buy), and the display quality isn't as good as MBP -- it's a little washed out. The super-portability is fantastic (no need to be any smaller/lighter IMO), and it's plenty fast for everything I do with it (similar to the OP's list).

wolfpuppies3
Jan 4, 2013, 08:54 AM
No negatives, do it, you will love it.

robvas
Jan 4, 2013, 11:38 AM
Drawbacks: No quad-core, no optical drive, no ethernet, can't upgrade it.

If any of those are a deal-breaker get a Pro.

53x12
Jan 4, 2013, 11:53 AM
Drawbacks: No quad-core, no optical drive, no ethernet, can't upgrade it.

If any of those are a deal-breaker get a Pro.

OP was mentioning rMBP, which does not have an optical drive.

coldjeanzzz
Jan 4, 2013, 12:02 PM
Well when I booted it up for the first time immediately I was put off by the screen size (13 inches). Everything felt SO small I was like how the hell am I going to use this thing? But that was because I came from a 15.4 inch laptop on 1366x768 res so everything felt gigantic there. However it took barely two days before my eyes adjusted and now the screen doesn't feel small at all to me. If you have poor eyesight I can see how this would be a problem though.

JohnLT13
Jan 4, 2013, 12:57 PM
been running a 11" MBA for over a year, mostly home use.
drawbacks are limited screen space and sound/speakers are horrible.
other then that its a solid machine.

theSeb
Jan 4, 2013, 01:30 PM

No, it does not.

jojoba
Jan 4, 2013, 01:33 PM
I have a maxed out 13" and I really love it. It's a great mix of (relative) power and portability. I'm hoping it will last me a while.

beysus
Jan 4, 2013, 01:55 PM
The thing about my Air that bothers me every now and then is the screen. Overall I like the colors and I really have no problem working with it for hours, so the screen itself isn't really bad but sometimes I can't really tell whether those jeans on an online shop are black or blue. I usually double check then with my iPhone and my sister's MacBook Pro where I can clearly tell the difference. Maybe I could calibrate it better but oh well...

Yes, I do have an LG screen and no, I don't want to start discussing about it ;)

It might be taken into consideration since you mentioned photo editing.

coldjeanzzz
Jan 4, 2013, 02:20 PM
been running a 11" MBA for over a year, mostly home use.
drawbacks are limited screen space and sound/speakers are horrible.
other then that its a solid machine.

+1. The speakers on my 13" are awful. At first I thought there was something wrong with them. The speakers on my crappy Toshiba laptop are much better. These things sound like the quality out of my iPod touch when I play music without headphones. Fortunately the sound is fine when I use headphones.

rabidz7
Jan 4, 2013, 02:27 PM
You're saying that a GPU from 2004 is better than a GPU from 2012?!

Funny you should say that, it might be able to. I know the FX5200 is the desktop card, but it might work (just not very well) :P

Yes i am, one is a real video card... Integrated graphics is much slower. And my powermac G5 is an entirely faster computer too. Geekbench is an avarage my powermac has maxed everything.

Sully151
Jan 4, 2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone. I stopped by the apple store today and the salesperson all but talked me out of the 13" rMBP and basically told me to save some cash and get an Air.

Since, hopefully, it will be my secondary computer, it seems to make sense.

Silly question, but without an optical drive, how do you watch movies and store music? All through an external?

53x12
Jan 4, 2013, 03:18 PM
Silly question, but without an optical drive, how do you watch movies and store music? All through an external?

This: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

or you could find a 3rd party drive that is cheaper.

----------

Yes i am, one is a real video card... Integrated graphics is much slower. And my powermac G5 is an entirely faster computer too. Geekbench is an avarage my powermac has maxed everything.

Not sure if serious? So you are saying ALL integrated graphics are much slower than every dedicated GPU ever created? You couldn't be more wrong. The Intel HD 4000 is a much better GPU than your NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200. I have already shown you a source of info for that. Please show us an independent source of information backing your statement. Guess what? You won't be able to do so.

rabidz7
Jan 4, 2013, 08:21 PM
No, it does not.

Well, it kind of does.

----------

Thanks for the info, everyone. I stopped by the apple store today and the salesperson all but talked me out of the 13" rMBP and basically told me to save some cash and get an Air.

Movies on itunes and music online. http://www.allflac.com is good for music. you can put things on usb drives like you do cd's and dvd's.

Stingray454
Jan 5, 2013, 03:49 AM

Ok, not sure if you're just trolling, but you couldn't be more wrong. Check the answer from 53x12 given earlier:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 = 134
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 = 2

(higher is better)

http://novabench.com/gpuchart.php?a=1

Integrated graphics from the Air render the test 70 (seventy) times faster than your dedicated GPU. Also, on pure CPU benchmarks (geekbench) the Power Mac G5 (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?q=model:%22Power%20Mac%20G5%20%28Late%202005%29%22%20platform:%22Mac%22%20processor:%22PowerP C%20G5%20%28970MP%29%22%20frequency:2500%20bits:32) gets about 3500 points maximum, and a "maxed out" would probably maybe be +100 points or something. My Air gets >7000, so about double the CPU speed as well. Sorry, but your G5 is old, face it.

Makntosh
Jan 5, 2013, 04:31 AM
Be sure to backup - my ssd fried just after warranty expired.

rabidz7
Jan 5, 2013, 05:34 PM
This: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

or you could find a 3rd party drive that is cheaper.

----------

Not sure if serious? So you are saying ALL integrated graphics are much slower than every dedicated GPU ever created? You couldn't be more wrong. The Intel HD 4000 is a much better GPU than your NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200. I have already shown you a source of info for that. Please show us an independent source of information backing your statement. Guess what? You won't be able to do so.

Ok, not sure if you're just trolling, but you couldn't be more wrong. Check the answer from 53x12 given earlier:

Integrated graphics from the Air render the test 70 (seventy) times faster than your dedicated GPU. Also, on pure CPU benchmarks (geekbench) the Power Mac G5 (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?q=model:%22Power%20Mac%20G5%20%28Late%202005%29%22%20platform:%22Mac%22%20processor:%22PowerP C%20G5%20%28970MP%29%22%20frequency:2500%20bits:32) gets about 3500 points maximum, and a "maxed out" would probably maybe be +100 points or something. My Air gets >7000, so about double the CPU speed as well. Sorry, but your G5 is old, face it.

Oh, so apperantly a geforece 580 or 670 is better than a 690!!!

Accord3
Jan 5, 2013, 06:16 PM

You download to itunes and watch from there or stream via www via the numerous online services. Or buy a non Apple ext DVD drive.

I have a late 2011 13"MBP with optical drive and have used it once when i first installed MS Office when i got it.

GizmoDVD
Jan 5, 2013, 06:30 PM

You're embarrassing yourself kid. Give it a rest. Go watch some HD YouTube on your PowerBook. Oops. You can't.

rabidz7
Jan 5, 2013, 06:33 PM
You're embarrassing yourself kid. Give it a rest. Go watch some HD YouTube on your PowerBook. Oops. You can't.

yes i can. and I can play minecraft at 25 fps. i watch 1080p utube all the time

Pakaku
Jan 5, 2013, 09:21 PM
yes i can. and I can play minecraft at 25 fps. i watch 1080p utube all the time

It's one thing to say you can, it's another thing to provide evidence to back up your claims. So far you haven't proven anything.

Also... 25fps, you say? And that's max resolution, right? :rolleyes:

myrtlebee
Jan 5, 2013, 09:52 PM
The fan tends to kick up at full blast almost the instant I open some games, but I guess that's to be expected on a base model 2011. Other than that, I love it. I've only got 2GB RAM and I've been warned about that, but so far, no issues in that regard. I think you'll be very happy if you get one!

As for movies: I've got my bare essentials on my drive (around a dozen or so) and then I will rent the occasional movie on iTunes, but 99% of my movie watching is done on my big screen.

GizmoDVD
Jan 5, 2013, 10:47 PM
It's one thing to say you can, it's another thing to provide evidence to back up your claims. So far you haven't proven anything.

Also... 25fps, you say? And that's max resolution, right? :rolleyes:

And it's running Mountain Lion!

throAU
Jan 5, 2013, 10:49 PM
I have read a lot of positives for the MBA, but what I want to know is what are the negatives?

The only negative in my experience (other than the obvious spec differences) is storage capacity - but that goes for the rMBPs as well.

Aftermarket storage upgrades are expensive, as you are SSD only. So long as you have a NAS or something you can offload stuff you want to keep but can't store on your machine when you run out of space, go for it.

Worth noting is that you could probably buy a Mac Mini server (with fault-tolerant RAID to store things on you don't need with you all the time, and time machine backups) and MBA for the price of an rMBP with a heap of storage.

b3av3r
Jan 6, 2013, 04:25 AM
I have had my 13" MBA for about a month now and I haven't found any faults in it so far. It does everything I need to do exceptionally well which is just basic stuff. The real selling points for me were the weight, the keyboard size, and trackpad. If I put my MBA and charger in my bag, I can't even tell anything is in the bag. The keyboard is easy for me to use without cramming my fingers together. And of course the trackpad is huge and works flawlessly.

For the tasks you have listed I don't see a problem with the MBA, especially if you are going to get an iMac as a primary computer to do anything serious with like photo/video editing.

edit - make sure you take a test ride at a store before ordering, while I find the 13" to fit me perfectly there is no way I would be able to use the 11" model.

leman
Jan 6, 2013, 04:33 AM

Well, Novabench is mostly a joke. But comparing GeForce FX 5200 and the HD 4000 is just silly... the HD 4000 is obviously much faster than a card which was criticised as being outdated before it was actually released.

And modern Ivy Bridge CPUs, even ULV ones, are also considerably faster than the ancient G5...

Liquinn
Jan 6, 2013, 05:53 AM
Hmmm... you're stuck with the configuration you buy. :(

yinz
Jan 6, 2013, 06:02 AM
Hey All,

Thanks in advance!

Sully

Umm.. if I had to say something, maybe the Fn key and the control key could be switched around.

rabidz7
Jan 6, 2013, 12:56 PM
And it's running Mountain Lion!

I am still working on that...

Michael Goff
Jan 6, 2013, 02:48 PM
Funny story about that powerbook he's bragging about.

The latest iPad is even more powerful. >_>

JoshMKB24
Jan 6, 2013, 03:10 PM
I can't think of any drawbacks. I have had a few MBPs and an iMac and iPads/phones and this is great for what you want to do with it.

I use mine for travel and just sitting on the couch. Its great because its very very light so fits in a bag nicely when traveling and when you are on the couch for extended periods, it doesn't get very hot on your lap. I have an 11" MBA though, not a 13, but can't imagine the 13 would be that different.

The only drawback I can say, and this is being very nitpicky, is it does get a little warmer on my lap than the 15" retina does. I'm assuming because it is so thin the little bit of heat that it does generate you can feel. I'd say go for it!

Saturn1217
Jan 6, 2013, 04:19 PM
I've only had my 13-inch MBA for a couple days so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

But I would say one draw back that I didn't anticipate is that the higher pixel density of the MBA makes certain apps that were optimized with the older MBPs in mind have text that is a bit too small. Not an issue with browsers because you can always zoom in. But some apps like the old Papers app don't have the ability to change text size and the text is very small (upgrading to Paper2 gives text size options)

My eyes are definitely having an adjustment period although I remembered the same thing when I moved from my old thinkpad (really low resolution) to my MBP so I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

Also on my particular machine the backlighting is a bit uneven at the very bottom of the screen. But that might just be an issue with mine.

I'm still debating whether or not to keep mine. It is a great machine but honestly not as huge a step up from my 2009 13-inch MBP as I expected (in both weight/form-factor and performance terms)

nick_elt
Jan 6, 2013, 04:51 PM
Its great but after having my macbook airFor less than a week it has alot of wifi issues its really annoying.

JoshMKB24
Jan 6, 2013, 06:12 PM

I have an external 8TB drive that I use to watch all my movies and store all my music and pics. I have a secondary backup 8TB drive in case something bad happens. Currently I have 800 blurays including 3D on it and it works great. All said, the enclosure plus drives was right around 600

rabidz7
Jan 7, 2013, 06:21 AM
Well, Novabench is mostly a joke. But comparing GeForce FX 5200 and the HD 4000 is just silly... the HD 4000 is obviously much faster than a card which was criticised as being outdated before it was actually released.

And modern Ivy Bridge CPUs, even ULV ones, are also considerably faster than the ancient G5...

NO it is not.

2 cores vs 4

SSE2 vs altivec

RISC vs CISC

Have you even seen the floating point on an i7!

leman
Jan 7, 2013, 07:02 AM
NO it is not.

Maybe you should have a look at some benchmarks instead of living in a fantasy? I will even be so nice and give you a link

Here (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/compare/1462937/1500595) is a dual-CPU G5 workstation vs a 2012 Ivy Bridge based MacBook Air.

2 cores vs 4

PowerPC 970 is single or dual core. Ivy Bridge is dual or quad core. Anyway, the benchmark above shows clearly that two 970MP@2.5Ghz (four cores) cannot even compete with two IB cores at 1.7Ghz.

SSE2 vs altivec

Yes, SSE is faster than altivec. Besides, SSE2 was introduced in 2001, loooong time ago. Current Intel CPUs support SSE4 and AVX.

RISC vs CISC

Do you even know what it means, or are you simply throwing around with buzzwords? Modern x86 CPUs are superscalar execution units, capable of decoding and executing multiple instructions per cycle. Anyway, look up the benchmarks.

Yes, its faster than the PPC 970MP. So what are you trying to say?

AndyWong
Jan 7, 2013, 07:08 AM
NO it is not.

2 cores vs 4

SSE2 vs altivec

RISC vs CISC

Cant find FX5200 mate with a better processor because it is running on AGP.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/15494959 FX
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/16993479 HD400
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/5334 ATI Mob 9700

rabidz7
Jan 7, 2013, 09:37 AM
Maybe you should have a look at some benchmarks instead of living in a fantasy? I will even be so nice and give you a link

Here (http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/compare/1462937/1500595) is a dual-CPU G5 workstation vs a 2012 Ivy Bridge based MacBook Air.

PowerPC 970 is single or dual core. Ivy Bridge is dual or quad core. Anyway, the benchmark above shows clearly that two 970MP@2.5Ghz (four cores) cannot even compete with two IB cores at 1.7Ghz.

Yes, SSE is faster than altivec. Besides, SSE2 was introduced in 2001, loooong time ago. Current Intel CPUs support SSE4 and AVX.

Do you even know what it means, or are you simply throwing around with buzzwords? Modern x86 CPUs are superscalar execution units, capable of decoding and executing multiple instructions per cycle. Anyway, look up the benchmarks.

Yes, its faster than the PPC 970MP. So what are you trying to say?

Altivec is much faster. CISC is always faster.

intel:

Status Launched
Launch Date Q2'12
Processor Number i7-3667U
# of Cores 2
# of Threads 4
Clock Speed 2 GHzIntel® Smart Cache 4 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 20
Instruction Set 64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions AVX
Embedded Options Available No
Lithography 22 nm
Max TDP 17 W

instruction set CISC

PowerPC G5

Launch Date 2005
Processor Number 970MP
# of Cores 2
# of Threads 4
Clock Speed 2.5 GHz
Cache 2 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 2
Instruction Set 64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions altivec
Lithography 22 nm
Max TDP 150 W

Instruction set RISC

yinz
Jan 7, 2013, 10:17 AM
Its great but after having my macbook airFor less than a week it has alot of wifi issues its really annoying.

It's probably your router or modem. No issue with my MBA wifi.

leman
Jan 7, 2013, 10:19 AM
Altivec is much faster. CISC is always faster.

Show us some benchmarks then. And yes, in this case the CISC x86 is much faster than the RISC PowerPC, but claming 'CISC is always faster than RISC' just shows that you have no clue about computing whatsoever.

nick_elt
Jan 7, 2013, 04:13 PM
It's probably your router or modem. No issue with my MBA wifi.

Mba 13 inch has wifi issues with lion and mountain lion. I have found out now just search wifi not working waking from sleep. Its a osx issue as windows doesnt have the problem. Some routers will work fine and I have found a work around for now by changing my router channel. But the issue is with the mba and nothing else. Some people had alot worse wifi issues than me. Consider yourself lucky.

----------

But I do absolutely love the mba, it's just an issue to be aware of. My last macbook lasted for 5 years worth not many problems at all over the time. Was a little suprised that it had some out of the box. I do think it's the best laptop out there tho

Sully151
Jan 7, 2013, 04:16 PM
Alright, with all that being said, is there a reason to get the 13" rMBP over an air? And is it worth it to wait for the next refresh with Haswell?

Stingray454
Jan 7, 2013, 09:16 PM
Alright, with all that being said, is there a reason to get the 13" rMBP over an air? And is it worth it to wait for the next refresh with Haswell?

Depends what you're after. rMBP will get you some nice things - more battery time, a bit faster processor, better screen, obviously the higher resolution, more ports. There are some disadvantages too - heavier / larger, more expensive, and most importantly - lacking discrete graphics. The rMBP 13" has the same GPU as the Air, which means the same graphic card will have to power a 4 times larger screen (= about 4 times slower graphics performance).

I'm not saying the rMBP is bad, not at all. Personally I don't need the extra ports / performance, I think there is a big difference in mobility (I use the 11"), and don't want to run a screen with that high resolution on a HD4000 GPU.

About haswell, it looks nice indeed - lower power consumption and better GPU is always welcome. I'm guessing we won't see a new Air / MBP with those until juli at the earliest, so that depends if you want to wait that long. If you need a computer now, buy one now - it doesn't get worse just because a new version is released, and if you feel you need to upgrade, apple computers usually keeps a pretty nice resell price, so an upgrade don't have to be that costly.

yinz
Jan 7, 2013, 10:26 PM
Mba 13 inch has wifi issues with lion and mountain lion. I have found out now just search wifi not working waking from sleep. Its a osx issue as windows doesnt have the problem. Some routers will work fine and I have found a work around for now by changing my router channel. But the issue is with the mba and nothing else. Some people had alot worse wifi issues than me. Consider yourself lucky.

----------

But I do absolutely love the mba, it's just an issue to be aware of. My last macbook lasted for 5 years worth not many problems at all over the time. Was a little suprised that it had some out of the box. I do think it's the best laptop out there tho

It's actually the first time I've heard this being an issue. I wake from sleep at home, at school and at my friend's homes and my MBA seems fine. That said, I will consider myself lucky then. Thanks.

No kidding, the MBA is a masterpiece. After owning it for 7 months, I still admire the external aesthetics of the machine. It's really a joy to look at even when I'm not using it. The software and user experience is very satisfying as well. Before my MBA, I used my Asus EEE PC for 3 years as my main computer. The 13" i5 is a sweet upgrade!

My only gripe with OSX is that, sometimes (unlike Windows), the short cut commands differ from app to app (full screen for safari vs full screen with other apps; 'del character in front' is sometimes control + D and sometimes fn +delete; etc.). Is it that difficult to make all of the short cut keys the same?

QCassidy352
Jan 10, 2013, 06:06 PM
Surprised nobody has said battery life, on the 11" especially. To me, that's the biggest area for improvement.

Poisonivy326
Jan 10, 2013, 10:05 PM
I think there's a huge drawback to the 11" MBA. Not so much the 13" but the 11":

1. Doesn't have an Sd card
2. The display ratio makes the screen look weirdly compressed and hurts my eyes the way the 13" and iPads don't.
3. Base configuration is a joke at 64 GB. Yes I know you can order more but $999 for a machine with 64 GB HD?

I'd love to personally own a 13" MBA but wouldn't touch the 11" one. I think it's Apple's weakest offer.

Dr Charter
Jan 11, 2013, 10:26 PM
I think there's a huge drawback to the 11" MBA. Not so much the 13" but the 11":

1. Doesn't have an Sd card
2. The display ratio makes the screen look weirdly compressed and hurts my eyes the way the 13" and iPads don't.
3. Base configuration is a joke at 64 GB. Yes I know you can order more but $999 for a machine with 64 GB HD?

I'd love to personally own a 13" MBA but wouldn't touch the 11" one. I think it's Apple's weakest offer.

I'm inclined to agree with you as far as a primary machine is concerned. There are too many limitations. However, I love the base 11" for it's price and portability, particularly when flying coach or sitting at a small Starbucks table. I still have room for books or papers because of that small footprint.

I don't use SD cards, haven't been bothered by the compression you speak or and with an iMac at home 64Gb hasn't bothered me. I think the base model is a decent value as a secondary computer that I only use for a few hours a day.

stridemat
Jan 12, 2013, 03:53 AM
MOD NOTE

Open. All, please review the Rules for Appropriate Debate (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Rules_for_Appropriate_Debate) before posting in this thread.

Amad3U5
Jan 13, 2013, 10:18 AM

I highly doubt that. Can a PowerBook run Minecraft on 60 FPS and Portal 2 on 40 FPS? Sure, Intel HD aren't amazing, but the assumptions that you're making are both irrational and false.

rabidz7
Jan 13, 2013, 10:56 AM
I highly doubt that. Can a PowerBook run Minecraft on 60 FPS and Portal 2 on 40 FPS? Sure, Intel HD aren't amazing, but the assumptions that you're making are both irrational and false.

Not at 60 fps, but at around 30.

Amad3U5
Jan 13, 2013, 01:35 PM
Not at 60 fps, but at around 30.
Actually I get well over 60 FPS on my 2012 base-model 13" MBA, with all settings on max.
Screenshot for proof. (http://i.imgur.com/Rov3e.png)

maxosx
Jan 13, 2013, 01:55 PM
I'm on my second MBA & it's been great.

There's no drawbacks to these based on my personal experiences. It's simply of matter of choosing the right configuration to serve your needs.

Michael Goff
Jan 14, 2013, 09:53 AM
Actually I get well over 60 FPS on my 2012 base-model 13" MBA, with all settings on max.
Screenshot for proof. (http://i.imgur.com/Rov3e.png)

Never played Minecraft.

Seeing that screenshot of MAX GRAPHICS makes me glad I haven't.

scupking
Jan 15, 2013, 10:27 AM
Only issue I can see is you can't upgrade it. I would wait till the 2013s since they will have better graphics and you probably can get it with 16GBs of ram.

BornAgainMac
Jan 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
Don't pay attention to it not having a dedicated GPU. The Intel HD Graphics 4000 seems to defy physics and most people will be happy with it.