PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Counterfeit Lightning Cables Confiscated in Alaska

MacRumors
Jan 4, 2013, 01:01 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/04/chinese-counterfeit-lightning-cables-confiscated-in-alaska/)

More than $600,000 worth of counterfeit Lighting cables were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/more-635000-counterfeit-apple-products-seized-anchorage) at a routine customs search in Anchorage, Alaska (via 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/04/more-counterfeit-apple-products-seized-this-time-635000-worth-of-fake-lightning-cables-in-alaska/)). The cables had arrived from China via plane and were designed to look like Apple's $19 Lightning to USB cables, complete with fake Apple logos and UL icons.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/MD818.jpegBut the knock-off logos weren't enough of a disguise. The items stood out as counterfeits, Frank Falcon, CBP spokesman said. They were packaged for retail sale in cardboard blister packs that were sub-standard compared to Apple's trademark white packaging.

Falcon said a manufacturer in China is responsible for the shipment. He noted that while it is "difficult to deal with a manufacturer in another country," the bust will "bring more scrutiny" to future shipments from the company.

This is a large bust for such products. As one can imagine, over $600,000 in cables and adaptors means there was "quite a bit of stuff" seized, Falcon said.Apple products are frequently counterfeited, and even Apple's retail stores are sometimes knocked off (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/20/counterfeit-apple-stores-pop-up-in-china/).

Article Link: Chinese Counterfeit Lightning Cables Confiscated in Alaska (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/04/chinese-counterfeit-lightning-cables-confiscated-in-alaska/)

iphone495
Jan 4, 2013, 01:05 PM
Wow, THIS IS huge! Big win for the CBP

CocoaPuffs
Jan 4, 2013, 01:08 PM
Does this mean my $5 OEM cable from eBay ain't coming anymore?

rnizlek
Jan 4, 2013, 01:11 PM

As long as it wasn't falsely labeled as an OEM cable you should be fine!

deannnnn
Jan 4, 2013, 01:17 PM
Good.

It amazes me that there are companies in China that have factories dedicated to counterfeiting. Use those resources to make some legit products!

Yvan256
Jan 4, 2013, 01:27 PM
600 000$ / 19$ = 31 578 cables.

rshanahan
Jan 4, 2013, 01:27 PM
Good.

It amazes me that there are companies in China that have factories dedicated to counterfeiting. Use those resources to make some legit products!

Agree, just make a good $5 cable and leave the apple logo off!

String
Jan 4, 2013, 01:35 PM
The worse thing is they probably don't work right. There are £4 iPhone adaptors but all they do is charge the phone, nothing else works.

superman23
Jan 4, 2013, 02:05 PM
The worse thing is they probably don't work right. There are £4 iPhone adaptors but all they do is charge the phone, nothing else works.

well thats because the parts inside the real cables cost way more than £4

...half of them existing just so the cable has to be expensive!

SockRolid
Jan 4, 2013, 02:35 PM
China is the counterfeit capital of the world. The counterfeiting industry accounts for 8% of their GDP (as of 2010.)

CyrusKafaiWu
Jan 4, 2013, 02:40 PM
It's just a cable. They didn't even need to counterfeit it.

mrsir2009
Jan 4, 2013, 02:41 PM
I wonder what customs is going to do with 30 000 cables :p

Ironduke
Jan 4, 2013, 02:56 PM
The fact these guys can beat apple for price by so much proves apple deserve to be counterfeited

GITSUM!

dude-x
Jan 4, 2013, 03:15 PM
I bought a counterfeit cable in the Dominican Republic for about $US25 dollars. The first sign I had something was wrong was when I plugged it in, there was a bit of resistance. Then when i pulled it out, the sheath over the connector came out. Nevertheless I was able to charge my phone and when I got back to the US, the original cable worked fine.

rdlink
Jan 4, 2013, 03:26 PM
The fact these guys can beat apple for price by so much proves apple deserve to be counterfeited

GITSUM!

Another genius who doesn't understand the costs associated with R&D and developing IP.

I'd bet you think you're underpaid, also...

Gemütlichkeit
Jan 4, 2013, 03:35 PM
Apple, I'm fine paying $20 for a cable but could you please offer them in a longer size?

bstpierre
Jan 4, 2013, 03:52 PM
Good.

1st shift makes legitimate products. 2nd shift makes the counterfeit products.
:)

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jan 4, 2013, 04:40 PM

GITSUM!

These counterfeits aren't exact copies. They generally are much cheaper quality and fall apart quickly. Many of them will fit in either way but only charge with the adaptor pointed in 1 way unlike the real Apple cables.

Also, I have yet to see a single 3rd party cable (other than Apple authorized ones) that will do video. All of them so far will only charge and do sync (many only charge and don't even sync).

On top of that it's obvious that you don't understand the costs of development and other things that go into creating a product.

OldSchoolMacGuy
Jan 4, 2013, 04:41 PM

It wasn't OEM if it was only $5. The auction likely claimed OEM-like. If it was true OEM, it'd be coming from Apple and these counterfeits wouldn't worry you (and you wouldn't get them for $5 unless the seller was an idiot).

mw360
Jan 4, 2013, 04:44 PM
It wasn't OEM if it was only $5. The auction likely claimed OEM-like. If it was true OEM, it'd be coming from Apple and these counterfeits wouldn't worry you (and you wouldn't get them for $5 unless the seller was an idiot).

In common parlance I think OEM means fake :(

blueroom
Jan 4, 2013, 04:45 PM

Destroy them. Simple as that.

rmwebs
Jan 4, 2013, 05:43 PM
I bought one from Play.com - £2.99. Looks identical to the official one, even the build quality was the same. Works fine for both syncing and charging. Doesnt have any noticable slowdowns, etc. It did state that it cant do audio but thats not something I'd ever use it for anyway.

I refuse to pay £15 for a cable that could have just as easily been a microusb cable.

timhuerta
Jan 4, 2013, 07:40 PM
More than $600,000 worth of counterfeit Lighting cables were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a routine customs search in Anchorage, Alaska (via 9to5Mac).

Am I the only one that noticed that the story said Lighting not Lightning. So, is this story really about cheap Ikea furniture?

macs4nw
Jan 4, 2013, 08:36 PM
.....So, is this story really about cheap Ikea furniture?:)

Is even that made in China nowadays? LOL

.....By putting the Apple logo on it I think these cables were coined to essentially fool consumers. I don't mind no-name cables (monoprice) at all but deliberately trying to fool consumers with cables sporting the Apple logo is wrong.

Yes, and sadly the confiscation of one shipment won't stop or discourage these factories in any way, shape or form. If anything , they'll learn from this, and get better at counterfeiting for the inevitable 'next' shipment.

macduke
Jan 4, 2013, 09:54 PM
I once made the mistake of buying cheap 3” 30-pin cables. They quickly fell apart. I'm actually surprised they didn't first catch fire. I wish I could get a good 3” Lightning cable to keep in my MacBook bag. Anyone know of some?

MuddyPaws1
Jan 4, 2013, 11:42 PM

They started putting them on ebay. I just bought one for 6 bucks.

mrsir2009
Jan 4, 2013, 11:51 PM
They started putting them on ebay. I just bought one for 6 bucks.

Yay! Discounts on counterfitted cables :D

Ironduke
Jan 5, 2013, 02:51 AM
Another genius who doesn't understand the costs associated with R&D and developing IP.

utter garbage no cable costs that much

GARBAGE!

gitsum!

----------

These counterfeits aren't exact copies. They generally are much cheaper quality and fall apart quickly. Many of them will fit in either way but only charge with the adaptor pointed in 1 way unlike the real Apple cables.

Also, I have yet to see a single 3rd party cable (other than Apple authorized ones) that will do video. All of them so far will only charge and do sync (many only charge and don't even sync).

On top of that it's obvious that you don't understand the costs of development and other things that go into creating a product.

30 dollars for a cable lol at you

Asia8
Jan 5, 2013, 07:51 AM

I'm afraid this is still wrong...

More than $600,000 worth of counterfeit Lighting cables were seized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection at a routine customs search in Anchorage, Alaska

were designed to look like Apple's $19 Lightning to USB cables

They were designed to look like the $19 USB cable, the counterfeit light cables will be worth about 30c - $1. Therefore taking an average and assuming 65c a cable, it's closer to 925,000 cables.

Either way, even if it was 31.5k cables, at 65c a piece it's still only about $20,500. Which is pocket change when you're involved in this industry.

Brian Y
Jan 5, 2013, 08:28 AM

GARBAGE!

gitsum!

----------

So you could develop a omnidirectional, waterproof, usb 2/3 (future) compatible connector with the same connection quality, cable build quality for less than Apple?

Go for it. I hear the MicroUSB 3 guys could do with some help in that department looking at this monstrosity:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/USB_3.0_Micro_B_plug.PNG

gnasher729
Jan 5, 2013, 10:22 AM

GITSUM!

Easy to beat Apple on price if you don't supply the functionality. Or did you read anywhere that these cables actually work? And since these cables all had an Apple logo, it is now officially proven that you don't pay for the Apple logo, but for the fact that it just works.

Schmitty11
Jan 5, 2013, 10:33 AM
More than $600,000 worth of counterfeit Lighting cables were

Learn to spell

thehustleman
Jan 5, 2013, 11:36 AM
I buy Chinese knockoff Apple products all the time, not the devices though, just the cables and they always worked the same as the real thing.

Ironduke
Jan 5, 2013, 02:34 PM
Easy to beat Apple on price if you don't supply the functionality. Or did you read anywhere that these cables actually work? And since these cables all had an Apple logo, it is now officially proven that you don't pay for the Apple logo, but for the fact that it just works.

keep dreaming, the cheap ones work fine unless apple put a chip in to stop fakes just so they can hike up the price and making disgusting profit levels

gitsum

rdlink
Jan 5, 2013, 03:26 PM

GARBAGE!

gitsum!

----------

Nobody said making the actual cable cost that much. But R&D and IP development do cost money. Besides, the cable is $19, not $30. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Ice Dragon
Jan 5, 2013, 05:10 PM
The title for me says it all. I hate to say it but it is true.

blackhand1001
Jan 5, 2013, 05:20 PM

R&D for a cable. Come on. The cable is not worth 20 dollars. The cables quite frequently break before the 2 year contract is over as well.

nexusrule
Jan 5, 2013, 05:23 PM
Nobody said making the actual cable cost that much. But R&D and IP development do cost money. Besides, the cable is $19, not $30. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Are you really trying to argue with a poor demented soul that thinks it's funny to end allof his posts with a teenerd slang word that means : http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=git%20sum ? :)

I'ts probably a dumb 13 years old boy or a sad retarted adult, show some respect for someone so unlucky.

carlgo
Jan 5, 2013, 06:37 PM
We should send counterfeit stuff to China as punishment. Not sure what would be appropriate.

marksman
Jan 5, 2013, 08:45 PM

Giving the existence of minimum wage that concept seems impossible

CylonGlitch
Jan 5, 2013, 09:03 PM
R&D for a cable. Come on. The cable is not worth 20 dollars. The cables quite frequently break before the 2 year contract is over as well.

This isn't just a cable, there are some very cool technology in the semiconductor that is within the cable. In this case, $20 isn't an unreasonable price actually.

That being said the $4 lightning cables from Amazon for the most part, works perfectly.

flameproof
Jan 5, 2013, 10:19 PM
1st shift makes legitimate products. 2nd shift makes the counterfeit products.

Only in your dreams.

----------

They were designed to look like the $19 USB cable, the counterfeit light cables will be worth about 30c - $1.

If they really have data functionality the component cost will certainly be higher.

pizzafordinna
Jan 5, 2013, 10:54 PM
soo that means they confiscated like 50 cables right?

Penn Jennings
Jan 5, 2013, 11:10 PM

$19 for a USB is obscene!

I have purchased 3 "knock off" cables on Amazon for my iPhone 5. They shipped from China but arrived in the mail after 3 weeks. I only use them to charge but they work great.

The best part is that they were under $4 each!

Asia8
Jan 6, 2013, 02:59 AM
If they really have data functionality the component cost will certainly be higher.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153928/functional-chinese-knock-off-of-apples-lightning-cable-disassembled

http://search8.taobao.com/search?q=lightning+cable&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934&sort=price-asc

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=lightning+cable

Apparently there are ones for $3.50 that are functional after everyone getting their cut and postage. At $1USD = 6.5RMB (CNY) and seeing some on Taobao for 1.5RMB, that's about 25c a piece.

Though many of the Taobao reviews were good, there were a few complaints and one claiming that 4/10 of his cables wouldn't change the phone.

They might be using loss leader tactics though, perhaps not. Either way the production cost wouldn't be above $1 for these.

flameproof
Jan 6, 2013, 04:14 AM
Either way the production cost wouldn't be above $1 for these.

I believe it now. Quite amazing how fast the prices collapsed.

Yujenisis
Jan 6, 2013, 06:03 AM
I buy Chinese knockoff Apple products all the time, not the devices though, just the cables and they always worked the same as the real thing.

Why, not? The knock-off devices look...close...to...the...real...thing (http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/fake-apple-hardware/?pid=3279)?

I'm going to wait a little while longer until the dust settles for buying third-party Lightning cables. I don't think the customer is served by a race to be first rather than the race to make a good product.

theanimaster
Jan 6, 2013, 06:23 AM

WRONG and RIGHT. In the case of the old dock connector cable, the quality of the original Apple version was so bad I didn't think twice about getting counterfeits. Apple's cables are well-known to break easily... especially around the area where the chord meets the head of the cable.

There are counterfeits that ARE just plain crap however.

At the moment I haven't seen the Chinese counterfeits produce a good quality Lightning cable. Or perhaps I have. See, here in Thailand there are dubious stores selling two versions -- "original" and "copy". I've looked at the ones they call "copy" and it's obviously fake -- and crap. The contact head looks like a poorly etched PCB. On the other hand, the one they claim is original looks pretty much exactly like the original -- though the packaging doesn't look right -- they just CAN'T seem to get the Apple logo right (how friggin' hard is it? Don't they have macs with option-shift-K  ???) Knowing these stores, they're most probably fake... but I can't tell for sure (coz of my own preconceptions about the integrity of the stores).

But it's just a matter of time before the counterfeits get it right... and I'll be buying their stuff if I can rather than pay triple for an original cable that frays in less than a year.

Apple's cables have NEVER been good, and this is the very reason I stopped using the original cables that come with a new iOS device (because they're best left in the box for resale). I still see people with their frayed original Apple cables and earphones and I can only shake my head in disbelief.

RolyPolyBird
Jan 6, 2013, 09:51 AM
I have very little sympathy for corporate america, and especially their exploitative activities in the developing world, but if you buy this crap then you are just supporting the race to the bottom. You also have no idea what labour conditions the black market are using.

I just can't see why Apple consumers would cheap out, sure the cables are overpriced, but if you are looking for the cheapest PC components then why not get some generic wintel box to begin with?

rdlink
Jan 6, 2013, 10:02 AM
http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153928/functional-chinese-knock-off-of-apples-lightning-cable-disassembled

http://search8.taobao.com/search?q=lightning+cable&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&pid=mm_14507416_2297358_8935934&sort=price-asc

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=lightning+cable

Apparently there are ones for $3.50 that are functional after everyone getting their cut and postage. At $1USD = 6.5RMB (CNY) and seeing some on Taobao for 1.5RMB, that's about 25c a piece.

Though many of the Taobao reviews were good, there were a few complaints and one claiming that 4/10 of his cables wouldn't change the phone.

They might be using loss leader tactics though, perhaps not. Either way the production cost wouldn't be above $1 for these.

Sorry, I've been burned before buying aftermarket cables. Bought some $2.00 30-pins about a year and a half ago. Bought 10 of them, since they were so cheap, figuring I would have one within arm's reach wherever I was. Only to find out when they arrived that they wouldn't work with anything other than my 4S. Not my iPad. Not my GF's 4. Nothing.

I've even had issues buying Griffin cables in the past. No thanks.

----------

Are you really trying to argue with a poor demented soul that thinks it's funny to end allof his posts with a teenerd slang word that means : http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=git%20sum ? :)

I'ts probably a dumb 13 years old boy or a sad retarted adult, show some respect for someone so unlucky.

Touche' Point taken.

thehustleman
Jan 6, 2013, 10:06 AM
I have very little sympathy for corporate america, and especially their exploitative activities in the developing world, but if you buy this crap then you are just supporting the race to the bottom. You also have no idea what labour conditions the black market are using.

I just can't see why Apple consumers would cheap out, sure the cables are overpriced, but if you are looking for the cheapest PC components then why not get some generic wintel box to begin with?

Because the most expensive cables with a Windows box still sucks.

Can't help the fact that Apple over charges for their products, but if that's what you want that's what you have to pay.

Apple is smart like that though, they take about 400 bucks worth of parts, throw a 30 dollar os (the best os btw), and sell it for a couple thousand bucks

PracticalMac
Jan 6, 2013, 12:22 PM
Apple killed an auction for a LEGIT cable.

The above was obvious, but a singular item on eBay? WTF?

tninety
Jan 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
So you could develop a omnidirectional, waterproof, usb 2/3 (future) compatible connector with the same connection quality, cable build quality for less than Apple?

Go for it. I hear the MicroUSB 3 guys could do with some help in that department looking at this monstrosity:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/USB_3.0_Micro_B_plug.PNG

Let's see Lightning reach 5 Gbps NOW, then. :rolleyes:

Apple might have been able to reduce the cost of its Lightning cable if they hadn't poured so much R&D into making sure nobody else can manufacture them.

tbrinkma
Jan 7, 2013, 03:47 PM
Let's see Lightning reach 5 Gbps NOW, then. :rolleyes:

Apple might have been able to reduce the cost of its Lightning cable if they hadn't poured so much R&D into making sure nobody else can manufacture them.

There's an available pin-out for Lightning which would support USB 3.0. The device at the end of the cable, however, doesn't have fast-enough storage to take advantage of it, so there's very little point. (Currently, *no* cell phone or tablet has fast enough internal storage to take advantage of USB 3.0 speeds.)

Sorry to spoil your mindless rant. :rolleyes:

Oh, and let's see USB 3.0 *actually* reach 5Gbps NOW, as well. :p

Asia8
Jan 7, 2013, 10:00 PM
Sorry, I've been burned before buying aftermarket cables. Bought some $2.00 30-pins about a year and a half ago. Bought 10 of them, since they were so cheap, figuring I would have one within arm's reach wherever I was. Only to find out when they arrived that they wouldn't work with anything other than my 4S. Not my iPad. Not my GF's 4. Nothing.

Yes, as I said 4/10 - IIRC- of those tested cables wouldn't even charge power. The point I'm making is about manufacturing costs, nothing to do with quality or functionality.

I wouldn't buy these particular cables either.

Though here there are different grades of cables and chargers. When shopping they will often inform me that one charger is of very low quality and might damage my device if it's an expensive device. ($3 MP3 players are ok)

If using something complex and expensive they will usually recommend something of higher quality, from personal experience, I've learnt to trust those recommendations, just not necessarily the prices.

As for fake cables being exported, it's harder to walk back into a store and refund/exchange it, so they're often very low quality versions to make greater profits.

Also first world customers have sort of brought this on themselves, they will most usually either choose the expensive cable or the cheapest cable, because somehow they think paying very little they can still expect the same quality.

As a result, cheaper high quality copy products don't get sold overseas quite as much as they just don't sell enough due to not being able to compete with the rubbish quality copy products.

The trick is to know that you don't have to pay the OEM (Branded) prices, but also shouldn't expect to buy the cheapest product, there usually is a middle area with both quality and better pricing without the branded premium pricing. But it's hard to know over the internet the quality and whether you can trust the person, especially from outside China/HK.