Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
ok i sent a letter in the feedback section to every feedback group you can send to, telling them that since i upgraded, my iphone looses wifi, and my ipod lags a lot!. just wanted to say that and if enough of us do this, apple may change, i mean look the consumer wanted an ipad mini, apple gave them that,as wwell as a big screen iPhone.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
LOL, downgrading isn't just about reverting software updates, it's about the baseband and other parts about it too. No one offers downgrading for that reason, it does more harm than good.

You can find the old IPSW and restore by pushing Option and the Restore button, that's the only way.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Apple is very motivated to push out upgrades, and equally as motivated to render older versions obsolete.

After all, they are in the business of selling hardware.

They've always very cleverly planned and executed the obsolescence end of the process.

yanatai88s

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
iO6 "upgrade" ruined my iPad2.

I'm so very disgruntled right now. I waited until last week to upgrade to iO6 on my iPad. I researched to see that many of the previous glitches were worked out - seems that they have a long way to go. Nonetheless, my iPad is in a constant state of rebooting, over & over. I contacted Apple today. Interestingly enough, on their website where you request your call from a genius - it states, $19.99 one time service call, or the option I have apple care, OR MY INSTANCE IS REGARDING IO6 UPGRADE. I've done everything they've asked - the iPad will not restore, it just cyclically tries to reboot.

One associate offered me a new iPad 2 for $249. I questioned why I should pay for new hardware when their "UPGRADE" was at fault. His response was that had I paid for apple care my device would still be covered. But, because I neglected to purchase apple care, it would be at my cost to replace the iPad.

I think this is absolutely absurd. Not only I - but my household is VERY loyal to Apple and have been for MANY years! If this is Apple's philosophy, why would I ever want to purchase from them again? The 'upgrades' are continuously rolling through, if I can't trust their upgrades- why buy the product? If I can't freely use the product without the upgrades, it's time to move on? If Apple can't back their software - why buy their products?

Seems like a vicious circle. I'm wondering if another phone call would do me any good. For the hundreds, if not thousands of people suffering from this iO6 'upgrade" one would think there could be a class act lawsuit. I'm nearing the conclusion that Apple renders faulty 'upgrades' in an attempt to interest individuals into buying updated hardware. As in love as I am to Apple and their products - I think I would be a fool to purchase anything else.

So very VERY disappointed.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions on repairing my iPad 2, I'm welcome to hearing them. Thanks for hearing out my rant.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I'm so very disgruntled right now. I waited until last week to upgrade to iO6 on my iPad. I researched to see that many of the previous glitches were worked out - seems that they have a long way to go. Nonetheless, my iPad is in a constant state of rebooting, over & over. I contacted Apple today. Interestingly enough, on their website where you request your call from a genius - it states, $19.99 one time service call, or the option I have apple care, OR MY INSTANCE IS REGARDING IO6 UPGRADE. I've done everything they've asked - the iPad will not restore, it just cyclically tries to reboot.

One associate offered me a new iPad 2 for $249. I questioned why I should pay for new hardware when their "UPGRADE" was at fault. His response was that had I paid for apple care my device would still be covered. But, because I neglected to purchase apple care, it would be at my cost to replace the iPad.

I think this is absolutely absurd. Not only I - but my household is VERY loyal to Apple and have been for MANY years! If this is Apple's philosophy, why would I ever want to purchase from them again? The 'upgrades' are continuously rolling through, if I can't trust their upgrades- why buy the product? If I can't freely use the product without the upgrades, it's time to move on? If Apple can't back their software - why buy their products?

Seems like a vicious circle. I'm wondering if another phone call would do me any good. For the hundreds, if not thousands of people suffering from this iO6 'upgrade" one would think there could be a class act lawsuit. I'm nearing the conclusion that Apple renders faulty 'upgrades' in an attempt to interest individuals into buying updated hardware. As in love as I am to Apple and their products - I think I would be a fool to purchase anything else.

So very VERY disappointed.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions on repairing my iPad 2, I'm welcome to hearing them. Thanks for hearing out my rant.

That sounds like a bad install, why not wipe clean and redownload the update to be safe.

yanatai88s

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
@ Kashsystems

I have done everything possible. It will not restore - it will only cycle through to the apple screen, crash, restart - then repeat. :mad: Not sure what else I can do to make an iPad2 work. I've tried different computers even - I have an appointment with Apple - no guarantees that they will replace it, though they apologized for the online service reps for being so "rude". Gee, thanks?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I have done everything possible. It will not restore - it will only cycle through to the apple screen, crash, restart - then repeat. :mad: Not sure what else I can do to make an iPad2 work. I've tried different computers even - I have an appointment with Apple - no guarantees that they will replace it, though they apologized for the online service reps for being so "rude". Gee, thanks?

Put it in DFU mode and restore.

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

Entering DFU Mode (Official Instructions)
1. Plug your device into your computer.
2. Turn off the device.
3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds
4. Hold the Home button without releasing the Power button for 10 seconds
5. Release the Power Button but keep holding the Home button
5.Keep holding the Home button until you are alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode

Then just restore from your backup from a computer or iCloud.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
ok i sent a letter in the feedback section to every feedback group you can send to, telling them that since i upgraded, my iphone looses wifi, and my ipod lags a lot!. just wanted to say that and if enough of us do this, apple may change, i mean look the consumer wanted an ipad mini, apple gave them that,as wwell as a big screen iPhone.

i have a freaking iphone 5! duh...

You want to downgrade your iPhone 5? To what version? As its lowest available is iOS 6.... You want iOS 5, you need to go get a 4S...

yanatai88s

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Just more of my saga....

I just returned from the Apple store. No prevail. As told by the associate- they tried connecting my iPad2 to two different PC's and couldn't get a response. They claimed the situation would be different if they could have retrieved some form of an error code. Their final suggestion- it appears as if my motherboard must have had a 'glitch' and the installation process of uploading iO6 collided with my motherboard creating a fatal crash. He then reassured me that my iPad2 isn't worthless, suggesting that I try to resell it 'as is' and surely a 3rd party or an individual looking for other parts would surely want it....So, we are willing to sell you a new one for $249. I declined and reassured him that Apple has lost a loyal customer for life. I explained to them that when I purchased my iPad2, competition was nearly non-existant. However, that is no longer the case. They then proceeded to tell me how they are the best and this that and the other. I referenced some stats about the occurence rate of the issues with iO6, and Apple putting the cart before the horse, and their sales projected to drop nearly 15%, and so on. I dont see them being the top dog for much longer. Especially when they refuse to back their software updates. My rant went for a few moments, when another associate had the nerve to tell me that Apples creed and Steve Jobs mission was to ensure EVERY customer leaves satisfied. To which I responded- you clearly haven't lived up to that mission then, have you? I'm far from satisfied. I will take my business elsewhere. So cliché of the big business. If they present this way much longer, I could only hope others jump off the bandwagon as well- leaving them to drown in the mess they've made.

Last edited:

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I just returned from the Apple store. No prevail. As told by the associate- they tried connecting my iPad2 to two different PC's and couldn't get a response. They claimed the situation would be different if they could have retrieved some form of an error code. Their final suggestion- it appears as if my motherboard must have had a 'glitch' and the installation process of uploading iO6 collided with my motherboard creating a fatal crash. He then reassured me that my iPad2 isn't worthless, suggesting that I try to resell it 'as is' and surely a 3rd party or an individual looking for other parts would surely want it....So, we are willing to sell you a new one for $249. I declined and reassured him that Apple has lost a loyal customer for life. I explained to them that when I purchased my iPad2, competition was nearly non-existant. However, that is no longer the case. They then proceeded to tell me how they are the best and this that and the other. I referenced some stats about the occurence rate of the issues with iO6, and Apple putting the cart before the horse, and their sales projected to drop nearly 15%, and so on. I dont see them being the top dog for much longer. Especially when they refuse to back their software updates. My rant went for a few moments, when another associate had the nerve to tell me that Apples creed and Steve Jobs mission was to ensure EVERY customer leaves satisfied. To which I responded- you clearly haven't lived up to that mission then, have you? I'm far from satisfied. I will take my business elsewhere. So cliché of the big business. If they present this way much longer, I could only hope others jump off the bandwagon as well- leaving them to drown in the mess they've made.
Man I feel for ya. I m anti update now. Even downgrading back to lion

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I don't think apple will allow this to happen, but ios 6 is very buggy. I was at the Orlando airport last night and my wife's ipad 3 on ios 5 connected to the airport wifi without any issues. My ipad 4 and iphone 5 would not connect at all no matter what I tried. Ios 6 definitely still has major wifi issues with it. Even at home, my ipad and iphone will occassionally drop wifi connections.

This is getting ridiculous in this day and age and should not happen. Apple ios upgrades have become a hit and miss affair. Mostly miss. Every new upgrade brings a plethora of new problems which quite franky degrades the user experience. Hopefully with Forestall out they can provide better quality upgrades.

yanatai88s

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Yes- I've done the DFU- the apple store tried that. It's toast. :( wondering what the thoughts are on the google tablet?

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Updates don't ruin devices. People do.

Letter fail.

Tell that to any old iPhone 3G with iOS 4. They ran the last versión of iOS 3 good enough, but were almost completed useless with iOS 4.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY

You are very far out of warranty, nearly 2 years if you got your iPad 2 near launch date. ("Competition was nearly nonexistent") No company would be required to replace your tablet, regardless of what it is and how it was broken. Goodwill replacements usually don't happen years out of warranty. Very very rare for that to happen. You may have had a case if it was a matter of a few weeks or months. You know this was a freak occurrence, just chalk it up to bad luck and move on. We all get defective electronics once in awhile.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
Apple will never allow consumers to downgrade easily. Otherwise they couldn't show those nice statistics and upgrades at the beginning of every keynote telling us things like: "Fastest. Adoption. Ever".

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Updates don't ruin devices. People do.

Letter fail.

Such a BS statement.

Slightly off topic here, but a few years ago a PS3 update crippled the optical drive in my machine. It would no longer recognise any discs and was well out of warranty. After a brief telephone call with Sony, a man was on my doorstep 3 days later with a factory refurbished machine.

Updates can cause problems from time to time. Some companies are better at dealing with this than others.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012

I would have escalated this with a manager, force them to see the light. They have a lot of leeway in fixing this situation for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.