Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
DE
I did it! Just placed an order for a refurb 17" iMac. I've been on the fence for a while, but my 4 year old iBook just isn't enough for me anymore. I can't wait! :D

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Congrats! It is, I believe, a GREAT computer. Fast, easy to use, etc.

Enjoy!

Bob

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
G5 power plus refurb price? All good :) Do add RAM, you'll get fewer hesitations and starlight mints (due to HD access).

The current iMac is a machine I can't imagine ever getting rid of if I had one. I just know it would be hanging on the wall forever, stand removed, doing SOMETHING forever. Music station, videophone, animated picture frame... something.

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
Congrats! I switched from a Gateway to my iMac in May and haven't looked back since. I love my iMac! Best of luck to you! :D

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
What was the tota cost of your purchase?

Do we know, does this imac come with built in BT and Airport Express?

Ugh! I'm on the fence.. to buy, not to buy! Wait... don't wait!

I want one.. I'm going to order one....

Why wait, right? A laptop would work better and fill two of my needs... but the mac laptops suck my ass right now!

Or at least in the sub-$1000 range, they do.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that you will be very pleased with your refurb iMac purchase. Good luck minimac. I agree you should get extra RAM, also AppleCare.

I have been looking at the refurb G5 iMac list also. Have Airport Extreme would be a must.

minimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
DE
Thanks everyone!

I'm going to see how it runs with 512, but I'm prepared to add some ram if needed.

I got the refurb 17" with superdrive - $1250 total. Yes it's the latest with Airport and Bluetooth according to Apple. I'm going on vacation for a week so I won't get to see it until i get back. Had it shipped to my parents house and they promised not to open it, that's part of the excitement! :)

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Nice! Hope you like it! I noticed a great improvement when I went 512MB -> 1GB so maybe you might want to think about upgrading the RAM, other than that it's a powerful mac. :D

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
minimac said:
I got the refurb 17" with superdrive - $1250 total. Yes it's the latest with Airport and Bluetooth according to Apple.

I'd hold off on buying ram until you get the machine. It's common to get a refurb mac and find little things like extra ram already installed. You might just get lucky and find 1GB in it when it arrives.

:)

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
congrats, that is a good deal....i agree and see about the ram....i was going to purchase 1gb for my pb, but ive been doing well with the stock 512, so im holding off...WELCOME TO MAC

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
minimac said:
I'm going to see how it runs with 512, but I'm prepared to add some ram if needed.

Once upon a time, in my ITing days, I had a beautfiul 20" iMac with 512. Worked like a charm ...

minimac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
DE
Well, it figures a new iMac would be announced after I ordered mine... I did get a price adjustment since the prices for the refurbished models had dropped as well. I'm happy with that :)

A problem however... my iMac seems to have the dreaded "noisy fan" problem. :( I've just started reading up on the issue but I'm not sure exactly what to do since it seems Apple doesn't have an official stance on the issue. Whenever the processor is working hard the temperature creeps up and the remote control airplane noise starts.

What can I do? Can I take it to the nearest Apple store and see if they will replace the fan for me?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
minimac said:
Well, it figures a new iMac would be announced after I ordered mine... I did get a price adjustment since the prices for the refurbished models had dropped as well. I'm happy with that :)

A problem however... my iMac seems to have the dreaded "noisy fan" problem. :( I've just started reading up on the issue but I'm not sure exactly what to do since it seems Apple doesn't have an official stance on the issue. Whenever the processor is working hard the temperature creeps up and the remote control airplane noise starts.

What can I do? Can I take it to the nearest Apple store and see if they will replace the fan for me?

While I can't comment on your exact situation I would guess that it's similar to my 17" powerbook. The fan used to kick in and it would be a loudish, grinding noise... it seemed at the time as though a ball bearing had given up the ghost.

I took it to an apple store and they informed me that they would be unable to fix it in house. Certain tasks I think, that involve a great disassembly of a machine, cannot be done in house by techs -- instead it has to be sent away to Apple.

I would be fairly certain yours is a similar situation.

The good news is, Apple has fantastic service. I often would get my powerbook back with in 4 days of sending it away in their fabulous brown box.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
you're in the same situation as me, man.

im currently using a G3 iBook 500mHz 12" and im going to get a new imac soon. the only thing keeping me from ordering it online is seeing if the apple store nearby can upgrade ram. im pretty sure they can.

which poses a question:
i want a new iMac 17" from my apple store (they said theyd be in on the 25th) with all stock features except i want 1 GB RAM... can they perform the upgrade on-site without me waiting 4-6 weeks for an online order?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I saw the new imac (17") in the Apple Easton store today.... very cool.

The remote magnetically sticks to the side of the iMac, and the front row software is fantastic!

If I wasn't so opposed to the screen on the iMacs, I might have forked over the cash right then.

:)

I just realized this thread is kinda old... but I'll leave my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.