Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
TCP/IP over Firewire

What this Beta software does is add a package to the network kernels that allows you to configute TCP/IP over Firewire. For example, if you have a G4 tower with an ethernet network connection to the internet (DSL, Cable modem) you can share that connection with an iBook over a Firewire cable. Both machines must have the software installed and must be restarted.

I think this is great for people who do not have AirPort at home yet! This would have been a god-send to me a few months ago, but when Jag came out and brought back Internet Sharing over AirPort, I went out and bought two AirPort cards abd can now surf the web from my iBook, print through my G4 and exchange files all wirelessly: hog heaven!

This software though, is awesome to have if you do not want to spend the cash for AirPort cards and you don't want to re-start your laptop to use targer drive mode to exchange files. People who try this new software should be cautious though: it is in Beta stage and it does insert a package to network kernels; maybe we should be wise and back everything up before we give it a go? I wonder if this will eventually be shareware or if Apple will build it in as a functionality in future releases of OS X? I doubt the last part though, they already acquiesed by bringing back software base station mode and doubt they will add another way to forego buying AirPort bases stations and cards.. still, a very cool and potentially software!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
this is definitely a cool technology upgrade, but most people will find no use for it. if it indeed requires a reboot everytime to get it working on both machines, then it really doesnt offer anything more than disk target mode or ethernet sharing. the 400mbps will also definitely be hindered by the IP protocol and its error correcting. its a good thing to implement, but definitely not any kind of selling point.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
I believe that both machines require a re-start only the first time you install the software; after that, Network Preferences will give you the option to select FireWire IP as your setting: just like you can select ethernet, built-in modem or AirPort at the time... I downloaded the package but did not install it, as you are right: most people will have no use for it. But I did read the read-me that comes with the package: it sounds simple to set up and use, very similar as sharing your internet connection or set up a network over AirPort. Cool technology, but only useful if your mate comes over and you want to transfer files, or if you want to download software to your portable and don't want to unplug your other computer to access the internet; my cable modem provider, Earthlink, does not even allow that: they "lock in" my G4's unique ethernet address for a few hours... so I can't just unplug the ethernet cable from my G4 and plug into my iBook: it won't work! So I was very happy when software base station returned... but if it had not, I would probably be giving this a try, since everytime software updates came out I would download with my G4 then transfer to the iBook using target disk mode.. anyway, I ramble. Just my opinions. Thanks!

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
That is pretty neat. this will really be neat for gaming. not everyone will have gigbit ethernet most of the time and firewire is faster than 10/100. i wonder if it will work with windows because windows 200 and xp have had this feature built in for 1 or 2 years now. its good that apple is now applying this. you think they would have done it first before microsoft since apple inventer firewire.

iJon

hobie

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
far, far away
Originally posted by Balin64
Cool technology, but only useful if your mate comes over and you want to transfer files, or if you want to download software to your portable and don't want to unplug your other computer to access the internet; my cable modem provider, Earthlink, does not even allow that: they "lock in" my G4's unique ethernet address for a few hours... so I can't just unplug the ethernet cable from my G4 and plug into my iBook: it won't work!

Have you ever tried to use a router... :rolleyes:

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by Balin64
... Cool technology, but only useful if your mate comes over and you want to transfer files, or if you want to download software to your portable and don't want to unplug your other computer to access the internet; my cable modem provider, Earthlink, does not even allow that: they "lock in" my G4's unique ethernet address for a few hours... so I can't just unplug the ethernet cable from my G4 and plug into my iBook: it won't work!

Hi Balin64,

If this is the same "feature" as implemented by Comcast cable, you can unplug your cable modem from the wall and then plug it back in to make it "forget" the MAC address of your computer.

Even better, you can get around this "feature" by purchasing a home/small office router. You plug the router into the cable modem and then it acts as a switch, offering 4 or so ethernet ports to plug your computers/printers into.

The cable modem remembers the MAC address of the router rather than your computer, so you can swap all you want without issue.

Such a router costs about $50.

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
this seems a bit of an overkill. most folk would be best using a crossover cable for most tasks (and i'm betting they're cheaper than firewire cables).

i_b_joshua

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
You know....

I heard that the firewire cable can be used with ethernet cable. Like, were networked at my house throught ethernet, but that same cable can have firewire connectors on the ends and be firewire....

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Catfish....

Exactly, maybe this is gigawire, hehehe

Anyways, that would be awesome if it used the same cable that RJ-45 uses because my whole house is linked already, so it wouldnt be that hard...

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Catfish....

Originally posted by MacAztec
Exactly, maybe this is gigawire, hehehe

Anyways, that would be awesome if it used the same cable that RJ-45 uses because my whole house is linked already, so it wouldnt be that hard...

From 1394ta.org (IEEE 1394 trade association page)

"For UTP-5, you should use standard 4-pair cable, with RJ-45 connectors. Note, however, that only 2 pairs are used by 1394b."

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
so.. are we talking about a one-stop-shop for I/O in future macs?

No network cards just firewire 2 (hell if its cheap enough they could drop USB as well and let folks buy an adapter or PCI card)

Apple has always liked simplicity.

i_b_joshua

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Sounds like a good way to get FireWire printing started. Throw in a very quick FireWire, IP, and Rendezvous and you've got computers, printers, and even scanners working seamlessly (hopefully).

Maybe this will put an end to my fight to get multiple USB devices to work at the same time. ;)

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: This gets even better...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
...since FireWire2 scales to 3200Mb/sec (400MB/sec). Ethernet replacement?

I don't think firewire is expected to get that fast for quite a long time. Everyone's been saying the next incarnation will be 800 mbps to start out. But who knows.

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
Re: This gets even better...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
...since FireWire2 scales to 3200Mb/sec (400MB/sec). Ethernet replacement?
Doubt it. Ethernet is expected to scale to 10Gb then 40Gb. It has quite a roadmap ahead of it.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by The Bender
Careful though!

You risk frying your FW ports!

Maybe wait until someone else has tested it on their computer first. :D

Hmm?? I don´t get it... is it dangerous to the comp to try IP over Firewire?? Is this the reason why the download on versiontracker doesn´t work anymore? Was the beta pulled???

To the guys who tried it: Did it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.