PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the ibook- Kinda worried

jarinaz
Sep 29, 2005, 02:03 PM
I finally ordered my iBook and am taking the plunge into Apple. I hope it is better than my PC. I bought the 12 inch ibook with an 80 gig HD and bought 512 of RAM from Crucial to bring my total to 1G. I am excited but worried about not having a DVD Burner. I told myself that I would get an external LaCie if I really need it but this forum seems to be cloudy as to whether the external drives will work with iDVD. MACWORLD says it will not on the ibook. Others say that you can. Does anyone know what the truth is here?

yoda13
Sep 29, 2005, 02:46 PM
There maybe a hack for it, but I believe it is not supported.

Project
Sep 29, 2005, 02:49 PM
I had the same worries, but theres no need to be. iDVD '05, which you will get with your iBook, supports external dvds. It was only earlier versions that didnt.

rosalindavenue
Sep 29, 2005, 03:19 PM
I had the same worries, but theres no need to be. iDVD '05, which you will get with your iBook, supports external dvds. It was only earlier versions that didnt.

Excellent news-- I had no idea. I googled it; here's a verifying link. (http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/2005/02/idvd-05-supports-disc-images-and.html) I'm even happier with my 12" ibook than I already was. :)

wPod
Sep 29, 2005, 03:40 PM
Excellent news-- I had no idea. I googled it; here's a verifying link. (http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/2005/02/idvd-05-supports-disc-images-and.html) I'm even happier with my 12" ibook than I already was. :)

very interesting. i always heard you could either hack or such your way around it to get it to work, but now that it has been confirmed this is great! not that i have ever had the urge to burn a DVD, dont know why, guess i dont have a video cam so i dont need anything on DVD!?!

maddav
Sep 29, 2005, 03:56 PM
I told myself that I would get an external LaCie if I really need it

Good choice there, higher speeds and quicker rpm.

:)

ChrisFromCanada
Sep 29, 2005, 03:59 PM
very interesting. i always heard you could either hack or such your way around it to get it to work

That was only ever in iDVD 4 and earlier. Now in iDVD 5 you can burn to an external burner and save as an .img disk image to burn in Disk Utility, Toast, or on a PC.

jarinaz
Sep 29, 2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys.

powerbook911
Sep 29, 2005, 09:23 PM
You have a great setup on the way. The current iBook with a gig of memory will sing. Furthermore, if you decide to get that external firewire lacie drive, it will work great. iDVD '05 allows you to save a disk image, which can then be burned using disk utility. Making a disk image is always best to begin with (even if you had a superdrive) because if something happens during the burning process, you still have the completed disk image to try again, so you don't have to start all over.

You're going to love your iBook. Let us know, when it arrives.

AJ Muni
Sep 29, 2005, 09:29 PM
not trying to highjack the thread...but i have a hard time understanding what a disk image is, and why you would want to create one ...????? :confused: :confused:

Studawg7
Sep 29, 2005, 09:52 PM
hmm maybe its time to upgrade to iLife 5.... i think i will given that im graduating in this semester and i want to get that nice discount! great news, thanks for finding that info!