PDA

View Full Version : NEW POWERBOOK SPEAKERS MALFUNCTION!

Ashapalan
Sep 29, 2005, 03:47 PM
I don't believe it!

I've had the rev D 12" sincs april and now its speakers have gone very odd...

It's obvious they need repair, every 40 seconds they let out a loud distortion noise which sounds awfull! distortion is the only way i can discribe it. It is def the speakers themselves becuase on mute the sound is non existant.

Has anyone experiened or even heard of such a problem?

Not sure what to do, i couldnt bare to send the thing away. Will i have too?

Please help!

edit... okay now it's stopped. It did it yesterday at about the same time, and stopped as well. Is it the other side trying to contact me? or am i missing something obvious here?

it has been hooked up to external speakers, would this effect the internal speakers when i used them straight after?

eva01
Sep 29, 2005, 04:07 PM
I don't believe it!

PEOPLE KEEP USING ALL CAPS IN THREAD TITLES, FRACKING STOP IT!!!!

just call apple and ask them

Ashapalan
Sep 29, 2005, 04:35 PM
well yeh, of course i'll call them if no one has experienced something simular to this before and had it solved, thats what the help bits about right.

AND STOP MAKING UP WORDS

BiikeMike
Sep 29, 2005, 07:21 PM
I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO ADD TO THIS THREAD!

richinspace
Oct 11, 2005, 10:11 AM
Welcome to the PowerBook hell!
I've had the exact same symptoms on my PB 15" since I got it 18 months ago. It is especially nice when you're standing in front of 100 people when all the sudden your Mac nearly explodes with noise. In my case this normally doesn't stop until I reboot the thing!

Right now my PB is entirely mute, just because I dared to connect an external speaker to it a week ago. (I might add that I bought my Mac at a really lousy store - Mac Support, Malmö, Sweden. They've simply done nothing to solve the problem, and now my warranty has passed.)

I am sorry to conclude that I have no solution to offer you, only sympathies. If you find some cure, please let me and my sore ears know.

I don't believe it!

I've had the rev D 12" sincs april and now its speakers have gone very odd...

It's obvious they need repair, every 40 seconds they let out a loud distortion noise which sounds awfull! distortion is the only way i can discribe it. It is def the speakers themselves becuase on mute the sound is non existant.

Has anyone experiened or even heard of such a problem?

Not sure what to do, i couldnt bare to send the thing away. Will i have too?

Please help!

edit... okay now it's stopped. It did it yesterday at about the same time, and stopped as well. Is it the other side trying to contact me? or am i missing something obvious here?

it has been hooked up to external speakers, would this effect the internal speakers when i used them straight after?

Marky_Mark
Oct 11, 2005, 10:33 AM
A shot in the dark, becuse I don't own a PB, but you both say this is after you have had external speakers connected.

Is there somewhere where you can disable a built in microphone? This sounds like feedback to me - perhaps the sensitivity of the microphone is increased automatically by the connection of external speakers, and then after they are disconnected, the sensitivity is left too high, and it then picks up the sound from the built-in speakers.

I had a similar problem with a Windows notebook, and the solution was to kill off the line-in inputs.

Give it a try, it won't do any harm. Best of luck.

Counterfit
Oct 11, 2005, 11:06 AM
I think I had the same problem as you when I first got my PB. It disappeared when I wiped my HD to install Panther.

iGary
Oct 11, 2005, 11:19 AM
LDKJ;SALKFH;A;LKJDHFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG WTF LOL!!!!

ohcrap
Oct 11, 2005, 11:28 AM
Um, speakers don't create distortion. If there is distortion coming out of them, it is not "def" the speakers fault, it is "def" the fault of probably a number of things that send signal to the speakers.

And what's with the all caps? I wouldn't say this problem's importance exceeds that of most other problems people are creating threads about. :rolleyes:

richinspace
Oct 12, 2005, 05:31 PM
Thanks Marky_Mark for your suggestion. I'm sorry your guess is not correct though; it's not a microphone feedback. Also, my problems with the noise began way before the external speakers were connected the first time. Connecting these instead made the internal speakers muted, a few hours after the external ones were disconnected!!!

Marky_Mark
Oct 13, 2005, 06:10 AM
If this is the case, it sounds as though the problem might be hardware-related instead. Sorry for the bum steer.

mad jew
Oct 13, 2005, 06:42 AM
I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

So, now that I have that out of my system...

I haven't had a similar problem but there are a couple of harmless things I'd try before calling Apple/throwing said PowerBook at a wall.

Reset core audio by opening and then closing GarageBand.
Reset PMU. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449)
Reset PRAM and NVRAM. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238)
Disconnect any peripherals, even if they aren't necessarily related to audio (such as printers), run it for a while and see if that helps.

Now, they're pretty much the only easy solutions I can offer without delving into reinstalling the OS. Just out of interest, do you have any third-party RAM? I doubt it's the RAM in this case but bad memory can do some whacky things. :(

thequicksilver
Oct 13, 2005, 07:58 AM
So you're having something you're certain is a hardware issue. Sorry to hear it. You're within your warranty period though, which is fortunate. Therefore…

Call Apple.

Moose_uk
Oct 13, 2005, 08:23 AM
Just to make sure that it is a hardware fault, and not something amiss in the system software ... and it certainly sounds like a hardware fault ...

I would suggest booting from the startup/system installer disc that came with the machine. Leave it sitting for a while to see if the problem rears its head!

If it doesn't then it almost certainly is a problem with the system installation, if it does occur however .....

Right, I'll go scurry off to my newbie corner ...

mOOse

Counterfit
Oct 14, 2005, 03:35 PM
Since you obviously haven't read my first post, I'll post it in your style:

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM! IT WENT AWAY AFTER I WIPED MY HARD DRIVE TO INSTALL PANTHER! SERIOUSLY! GIVE IT A SHOT! IT WON'T TAKE AS LONG AS SENDING IT OUT FOR REPAIR!

:rolleyes: