PDA

View Full Version : [iPad] Is Smart Cover sufficient for iPad 4?

jaybar
Jan 5, 2013, 04:04 PM
Hi

I am using the iPad4 and thinking of the Smart Cover. I have a sleeve with a handle when I go from the house to the office. I am reluctant to add weight.

Is a back cover really needed? Most back covers add about 3 ounces or more. Are there other options or can I just effectively go with the Smart Cover and sleeve.

I have not the best eye/hand coordination so I wonder about a skin.

I have read mixed things about the Smart Case. Is that something good to consider?

Thanks

Jay

Jman13
Jan 5, 2013, 05:59 PM
If you just want to protect against scratches, you can get a back skin like those from Sticker Boy or iCarbons, which are high quality and add essentially no weight or size. Will provide some nice grip and scratch protection. They look good too. I have a leather skin from sticker boy on my mini with the Smart Cover and I really like it.

The skins really aren't that hard to apply. Just line up on the camera, then line up on the apple logo, and let it fall....perfect application.

http://jordansteele.com/2013/sticker_boy1.jpg

xMClass
Jan 5, 2013, 06:48 PM
I would personally skip the smart cover unless you need it to prop up your iPad for typing or viewing videos. They are incredibly over-priced for what they are. If you don't want to add any bulk, a skin would be your best solution. Also might want to consider a thin folio type case if you carry your iPad around a lot.

Jan 5, 2013, 07:26 PM
I have two difference cases. A keyboard built into the case and the smart case and thinking of getting the Smart Cover.

Although the biggest pet peeve about the case is that you can't take it off often which I do. When I type on the keyboard, I have the logitech ultra slim keyboard with the magnet dock area for the ipad and it doesn't't fit into that grove without mere living the case off my ipad

Sometimes I look on the back of my unprotected iPod touch and wish that I have gotten a case for it before it got so scratched up.