Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
I bought a 2011 Mac mini server that came with Lion server preinstalled. I recall when booting the system for the first time, it had special setup steps related to it having the server software installed (i.e. defining the hostname, pointing your domain at your server, setting up services like web hosting, etc). As I recall, getting these setup steps correct the first time went a long ways towards a problem-free experience since I read that doing things like changing the hostname of the computer after initial setup is not recommended.

I'm preparing to upgrade my system from Lion to ML server, and for unrelated reasons want to do so with a clean install. However, you can't buy/DL ML server "directly". You have to first DL and install ML, then buy/install the "server" components.

Is there a way to clean install OS X ML with the server components already included, so that I get those extra setup steps when I first boot ML server? Or, if you do it the "regular way" and install ML and then install the server part, how do you go about setting up the server components of the OS (like hostnames)?

My first experience with OSX Server is with this mac mini server, that had OSX server preinstalled at the factory- so I am unfamiliar with how this works.

Hope this makes sense.

Ruahrc

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
You should first install Mountain Lion, then the Server app. I haven't done this in a long time (decided to stick to Snow Leopard Server), but at some point (either when you open the Server app for the first time or when you restart) before the server app will function it will ask you to enter in these settings.

I don't know of a way of installing both the core operating system and the server component. Perhaps you could install Server.app with generic settings and then create a disk image of the drive, but that's not the best solution if the server settings could change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.