Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I want some sort of FTP-esque setup where I can login to one of my Macs from another Mac and browse the entire HD and all directories, and open files on the remote mac from the local computer. Any software or tweaks I can use?

I want access to the entire HD, so things like dropbox dont work.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I want some sort of FTP-esque setup where I can login to one of my Macs from another Mac and browse the entire HD and all directories, and open files on the remote mac from the local computer. Any software or tweaks I can use?

I want access to the entire HD, so things like dropbox dont work.

Two things to think about :
1. Are you going to leave the "other" Mac on all the time ? IMO WakeOnLAN doesn't work very well in OSX any more, so you may have to.
2. For access to files I suggest a version of VNC. I use this one - http://www.vnc.com/

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
Two things to think about :
1. Are you going to leave the "other" Mac on all the time ? IMO WakeOnLAN doesn't work very well in OSX any more, so you may have to.
2. For access to files I suggest a version of VNC. I use this one - http://www.vnc.com/

I already run a VNC server / viewer on all of my machines, which is helpful, but I need to fill the gap. Yes, all computers will always be on. Right now I have to VNC in, move the file I need at the moment to dropbox, or email, etc, and then redownload it on the other machine. Its kind of a hassle. I basically want my entire machine to be a server where I can easily login, browse all directories, download whatever file I need, and be done with it, without having to deal with VNC (which can be very slow and tedious to use)

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
I already run a VNC server / viewer on all of my machines, which is helpful, but I need to fill the gap. Yes, all computers will always be on. Right now I have to VNC in, move the file I need at the moment to dropbox, or email, etc, and then redownload it on the other machine. Its kind of a hassle. I basically want my entire machine to be a server where I can easily login, browse all directories, download whatever file I need, and be done with it, without having to deal with VNC (which can be very slow and tedious to use)

OK fair enough. I use my NAS units to do what you want so my experience isn't so relevant.
My experience with VNC is different. It's very fast and easy to use for me. My target machine is LAN connected and is blisteringly fast (self build i5 o/c to 4+Ghz).

PS. Isn't this what OSX Server would allow you to do ? Have you looked at this ?

Last edited:

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
I have not, but might consider. It has a few other options that I'm interested in as well.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: use Mac OS X Server to...

Hi,

If you are already thinking of using the Mac OS X Server, then just use the Server.app to share your whole boot disk. You can then mount your boot disk on another computer in order to browse it (given the appropriate permissions, of course). So, in summary, from an external IP address, you would VPN into your local LAN. Then from the local LAN you would mount the shared boot disk on your external computer. Browse the disk all you want and copy files to your hearts content.

Regards,
Switon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.