PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of Dual Core G5 iMac?


59031
Sep 29, 2005, 06:34 PM
I'm ready to buy the G5 iMac, but I am waiting until MWSF to see if Apple introduces a Dual Core G5 iMac. I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought a G5 2 Ghz iMac only to have a Dual Core G5 2Ghz come out a couple of months later.

What does anyone think are the prospects of a Dual Core G5 iMac being released at MWSF, or ever at all? I do not want an Intel iMac. Please don't try to convince me otherwise, I really want one of the last PowerPC iMacs.

Thanks.

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 06:56 PM
No one can trully answer your question. The only thing anyone can tell you is that some time in the next 2 years there will be x86 based iMacs. Basically if you want to wait feel free just don't pi55 and moan if nothing comes out in January!

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 06:58 PM
Better add a smiley... :D

59031
Sep 29, 2005, 06:59 PM
No one can trully answer your question. The only thing anyone can tell you is that some time in the next 2 years there will be x86 based iMacs. Basically if you want to wait feel free just don't pi55 and moan if nothing comes out in January!

If nothing is announced at MWSF, I will be buying the 2Ghz single core model.

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 07:02 PM
If nothing is announced at MWSF, I will be buying the 2Ghz single core model.

Good to hear, might as well sit back and wait and see what happens. Personally I kind of hope we don't see any 970MP dual core boxes, if they are released I'll find it nearly impossible not to retire my current Power Mac Dual G5. :)

Josh396
Sep 29, 2005, 07:06 PM
Well the good thing about waiting until MWSF is the iMacs should be given at least a speed bump by then so you should at least end up with a 2.3 Ghz iMac and possibly a better video card, larger HD, or a cheaper mac.

As for the Dual Core iMac, I really don't see any chance of that happening. I imagine that it would approach the Power Macs specs to closely for Apple, as well as higher the price. It would probably be hot as hell in that 2 inch enclosure with 2 G5's :eek: .

Bear
Sep 29, 2005, 07:50 PM
I'm ready to buy the G5 iMac, but I am waiting until MWSF to see if Apple introduces a Dual Core G5 iMac. I'd be pretty disappointed if I bought a G5 2 Ghz iMac only to have a Dual Core G5 2Ghz come out a couple of months later.
...Dual core G5 chips will probably only show up (if they ever do) in PowerMacs. The iMac will be going Intel well before the PowerMac. You might see a 2.3GHz or 2.5GHz iMac G5 in the next update, but thats probably about it.

AP_piano295
Sep 29, 2005, 08:51 PM
yeah I doubt thats gonna happen it would make it way to big of a competitor against the powermacs and probly be power and heat issues (assuming that a dual core uses more power which would make sense) My neighbor has one of the new imacs and it blazin and not very expensive Id say give it a go.

lopresmb
Sep 29, 2005, 08:57 PM
I pretty much think no one knows anything at this point, they were calling for them before the end of the month, which doesn't seem to be happening, so it would seem that your guess is as good as anyone elses,

But in that same vein this is kinda cool (http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20050926)

Bear
Sep 29, 2005, 09:27 PM
I pretty much think no one knows anything at this point, they were calling for them before the end of the month, which doesn't seem to be happening, so it would seem that your guess is as good as anyone elses, Actually they were calling for dual core PowerMacs, not iMacs.