Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Hey all, thanks for considering my post.

Phones can now connect to the net from almost anywhere. I'm wondering how my laptop might do the same.

I'm a big nature nut and spend a lot of time outdoors. I could spend even more time in the woods if I could work from there.

What kind of gizmo would I need to connect my laptop to the net from the woods, far from power and wifi hot spots etc?

Thanks!

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Ah, good question.

I really don't know as I don't have a cellphone. But my wife has recently been doing a lot of cellphone shopping for herself, and has concluded AT&T is the best. So let's proceed with that I guess, unless you have other suggestions.

Thanks for playing.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
If you're sure AT&T has 3g, 4g, or LTE service in the woods, get this: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/de...tml?Source=IC0144067gj0631uO#fbid=1c-2q8-EuTv

Thank you, this is very useful. That's an impressive little box, at a quite reasonable price.

I currently connect to the net with Cox Cable. Do you happen to know if there is a similar device that would work with Cox? Hmm... I'm guessing not, as they're not in the mobile phone biz, right?

If there's no 3g, 4g, or LTE service in the woods, you'll have to get satellite internet.

I could test signal availability with my wife's iPhone. I'm guessing this is going to be problematic, considering where I like to go.

Can you provide a thumbnail sketch of what would be involved in satellite internet? Are we talking a dish on top of my van etc?

Thanks again for your helpful replies, much appreciated.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Thank you, this is very useful. That's an impressive little box, at a quite reasonable price.

I currently connect to the net with Cox Cable. Do you happen to know if there is a similar device that would work with Cox? Hmm... I'm guessing not, as they're not in the mobile phone biz, right?

I could test signal availability with my wife's iPhone. I'm guessing this is going to be problematic, considering where I like to go.

Can you provide a thumbnail sketch of what would be involved in satellite internet? Are we talking a dish on top of my van etc?

Thanks again for your helpful replies, much appreciated.

Test it with you wife's iPhone. If there's no service on her iPhone, there will be no service on that MiFi. Cox is a cable company, not a cell phone company, so there's nothing available through them.

Satellite internet would in fact require a satellite dish on top of your van and a high monthly cost:speed ratio.

Felasco

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Thanks again for responding to my question. I get the gist of it now, and appreciate your assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.