PDA

View Full Version : Doooonnnng...it finally arrived!

Mac Me Up
Sep 29, 2005, 08:00 PM
My brand new powerbook g4, 15" with Superdrive arrived this morning :D

As a PC user of many years I'm finding the switch a bit interesting...but Google and these forums are coming in pretty handy. Plus when I opened the box up at work - suddenly all these closet Mac fans appeared out of nowhere!

My current feeling - the powerbook is absolutely awesome! I thought I had a pretty shmick PC laptop (silver, sleek, thin, same weight as the PB) - but the PB just blows it away!

The setup was so easy...enter a few details - and bang your into working with it! (and you don't even need that little question mark dude to help you out - ala win XP)

Only complaint so far: the slot sloading superdrive is a bit loud, and the way it sucks your CD in at the last second is a bit freaky! :p

AP_piano295
Sep 29, 2005, 08:17 PM

As a PC user of many years I'm finding the switch a bit interesting...but Google and these forums are coming in pretty handy. Plus when I opened the box up at work - suddenly all these closet Mac fans appeared out of nowhere!

My current feeling - the powerbook is absolutely awesome! I thought I had a pretty shmick PC laptop (silver, sleek, thin, same weight as the PB) - but the PB just blows it away!

The setup was so easy...enter a few details - and bang your into working with it! (and you don't even need that little question mark dude to help you out - ala win XP)

Only complaint so far: the slot sloading superdrive is a bit loud, and the way it sucks your CD in at the last second is a bit freaky! :p

I couldnt stand paying that much money for a laptop thats underpowered hope it doesnt give u a bad impression of macs but any way congrats on the swich welcome to the community.

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 08:18 PM
What you don't think it sucks? Based on everything I read here I would have to assume the PowerBook G4 is a POS! ;)

I'm glad you like yours I love my G4 1.67 GHz 15".

eva01
Sep 29, 2005, 08:19 PM
I couldnt stand paying that much money for a laptop thats underpowered hope it doesnt give u a bad impression of macs but any way congrats on the swich welcome to the community.

that is one of the stupidest posts of the night in my opinion.

You have a wonderful machine that can run all of todays software and is in no way underpowered. Great machine.

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 08:19 PM

LMFAO there you go another troll about the power of the PowerBook!

eva01
Sep 29, 2005, 08:21 PM
LMFAO there you go another troll about the power of the PowerBook!

hahahah yep i loved that post, trolling around badmouthing the powerbook at every chance the person gets, and posting threads in wrong areas, its great.

remember to not feed the troll OP

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 08:21 PM

You have a wonderful machine that can run all of todays software and is in no way underpowered. Great machine.

Oh come on eva01 admit it even though the PowerBook G4 does everything people need it to, it sucks! Time to get with the program! :)

Oh well I love my POS PowerBook G4!

eva01
Sep 29, 2005, 08:22 PM
Oh come on eva01 admit it even though the PowerBook G4 does everything people need it to, it sucks! Time to get with the program! :)

Oh well I love my POS PowerBook G4!

I love my two POS powerbooks, if only they could run software that wasn't out yet T____T, that just proves it sucks.

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 08:25 PM
An interesting side note about how bad the PowerBook G4 1.67 is - my GF has an iMac G5 1.6 GHz it feels about the same as the PowerBook, except the PowerBook can rip CDs and DVDs faster - I guess the iMac sucks too?

eva01
Sep 29, 2005, 08:27 PM
An interesting side note about how bad the PowerBook G4 1.67 is - my GF has an iMac G5 1.6 GHz it feels about the same as the PowerBook, except the PowerBook can rip CDs and DVDs faster - I guess the iMac sucks too?

my powerbook is more mobile than my dual 1.8 G5 Powermac, does that mean it sucks too?

ok i am done enough spam for me :P

Mac Me Up
Sep 29, 2005, 08:27 PM

One thing you have to realise is that specifications on paper do not equal a good machine. If that were true I would have bought some souped up PC laptop with bling bling up the ying yang. I've owned high end PC's for about 10 years now, and believe me when I say that this powerbook is easiest the best one of the lot! :D

Besides the PB has plenty under the hood, I'm guessing that you don't own one from the way you're talking...

p.s. I also heard from Chicken Little that the sky would fall if I bought a PB...but it turns out it hasn't...who would have thunk it? :p

risc
Sep 29, 2005, 08:29 PM
my powerbook is more mobile than my dual 1.8 G5 Powermac, does that mean it sucks too?

ok i am done enough spam for me :P

Actually I own a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 as well I actually use the PowerBook more, so I guess that does mean your G5 sucks. ;)

I'm done too!

OP enjoy your PowerBook don't worry about the trolls.

AP_piano295
Sep 29, 2005, 08:40 PM

It is indeed a great machine it is not a great machine for the price a similar priced pc has more ram, more powerful graphics processor, often inbuilt tv tuner, higher resolution screen... need I go on just because it works for all current programs doesnt make it a good machine for the price. I never said the powerbook sucks its an excellent machine that is powerfully overpriced and if you have the money to blow than more power to you.

I figure atleast I didnt buy it

AP_piano295
Sep 29, 2005, 08:42 PM

Dont you love the crunch those slot loaders make I cringe every time I hear it. Once again welcome to the mac world as you can see everyones very friendly ;)

Chrispy
Sep 29, 2005, 08:42 PM
Don't let any of the negative posters get you down. The powerbook is a fantastic machine and you will find it to be a wonderful computing experience. Plus, when the Intel Powerbooks come out and people are having compatibility issues you will be able to sit back and laugh ;) Enjoy the new toy and let us know if you need any assistance along the way.

CanadaRAM
Sep 29, 2005, 08:46 PM
Doooonnnng...it finally arrived!

Congratulations on your new Doooonnng! And it's a 15"!

Wow. :eek:

Now aren't you glad you didn't order the Mini?

yoda13
Sep 29, 2005, 09:01 PM
roflmao...I am using a 15" right now myself :D

Chrispy
Sep 29, 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm just using a 12"... :(

AJ Muni
Sep 29, 2005, 09:27 PM
im using a 12" too and i love it.... :D ...loving it more everyday...

Capt Underpants
Sep 29, 2005, 09:33 PM
I love my two POS powerbooks, if only they could run software that wasn't out yet T____T, that just proves it sucks.

You must not be a gamer...

GoCubsGo
Sep 29, 2005, 09:42 PM

I agree I do hope that when I buy my next powerbook (mine is <6 mos old) that they would have done something about the loud ass slot drive.

bodeh6
Sep 29, 2005, 09:58 PM

There is no such thing as an Apple gamer. :D

maxterpiece
Sep 29, 2005, 10:16 PM
based on the posts here you'd think APPiano started the thread and not mac me up.

Good luck with your powerbook. I'm not a huge fan of them right now either as in the past they have undeniably been in a better position comparitively to the rest of the mac lineup and the PC lineup, but it's a mac and it's a solid machine.

Right now I'm sitting outside in 60 weather and my ibook is doing a fine job of keeping me warm. I don't see why apple doesn't advertise this feature...

dmw007
Sep 29, 2005, 10:27 PM

Really? I happen to enjoy playing games on my Mac. :)

But then again, I am no where near to being a "die hard gamer"- more like an occasional gamer. :)

dmw007
Sep 29, 2005, 10:34 PM

Congrats on your new Mac btw. I for one still think that the PowerBook G4s are awesome laptops! Enjoy it! :)

FFTT
Sep 29, 2005, 10:36 PM
Congratulations Mac Me Up!

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new PowerBook more and more each day you use
it.

You did a lot of research before you made your decision and got the best
laptop Apple has ever made, so just enjoy.

Mac Me Up
Sep 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
I'm not really going to weigh into the whole mac vs pc debate here - sure PC's are cheaper - but there's a reason people buy metabo over gmc (hopefully that makes sense in America 'metabo' = expensive german power tools, 'gmc' = el cheapo chinese trash). Sure the GMC has all the same 'features' as the metabo at about 1/10th of the price - but do you really want to be replacing it every few months. I'm sure you can see where I'm headed with this...

I'm loving it so far. I'm just trying to figure out how to get my music from my iPod into iTunes...does anyone have any suggestions - straight drag and drop doesn't seem to work...

dmw007
Sep 29, 2005, 11:00 PM
I'm loving it so far. I'm just trying to figure out how to get my music from my iPod into iTunes...does anyone have any suggestions - straight drag and drop doesn't seem to work...

Broken Helix is the program that you want (its free & works wonders). Don't have a link to it though- sorry. :)

Supa_Fly
Sep 29, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm just using a 12"... :(

Dude if you're that sad I'll gladly take it off your hands if that'll make you happier. It would make me feel splendid if you gave it to me for free ;) :D .

Just remember you HAVE a MAC, and not JUST A P iece of C hit (PC for short = Windows), like me.

Ho hum.

eva01
Sep 30, 2005, 03:29 PM

I bought a dual 1.8 G5 to play those two computer games i own WoW and Halo

other than that i don't see Twilight Princess coming to computers so i have no care in the world about computer games ;)

AP_piano295
Sep 30, 2005, 03:32 PM
One thing you have to realise is that specifications on paper do not equal a good machine. If that were true I would have bought some souped up PC laptop with bling bling up the ying yang. I've owned high end PC's for about 10 years now, and believe me when I say that this powerbook is easiest the best one of the lot! :D

Besides the PB has plenty under the hood, I'm guessing that you don't own one from the way you're talking...

p.s. I also heard from Chicken Little that the sky would fall if I bought a PB...but it turns out it hasn't...who would have thunk it? :p

Your right I dont but my neighbor does and the current ibook compares favoreably to it it also cost a little less than half the price.

wide
Sep 30, 2005, 04:22 PM
Your right I dont but my neighbor does and the current ibook compares favoreably to it it also cost a little less than half the price.

the ibooks suck too, compared to what you can get in a PC for $1000. let's just hope that intel can put apple's notebook lines on top again.

generik
Sep 30, 2005, 11:18 PM
I'm not really going to weigh into the whole mac vs pc debate here - sure PC's are cheaper - but there's a reason people buy metabo over gmc (hopefully that makes sense in America 'metabo' = expensive german power tools, 'gmc' = el cheapo chinese trash). Sure the GMC has all the same 'features' as the metabo at about 1/10th of the price - but do you really want to be replacing it every few months. I'm sure you can see where I'm headed with this...

By the way your new mac IS a el cheapo chinese trash priced as a german engineered PC.. so you might want to rethink your metaphore :)

risc
Oct 1, 2005, 12:08 AM
By the way your new mac IS a el cheapo chinese trash priced as a german engineered PC.. so you might want to rethink your metaphore :)

OS X was made in China?

BTW what is it with this forum at the moment where did all these trolls come from?

Nuc
Oct 1, 2005, 12:33 AM
I've just spent some time updating some software, running macjanitor, surfing the internet, trying to figure how the hell you install GCC 4.0.2 with Fortran, backing up my hard drive using Backup 3.0, also copying more files to another hard drive, flipping through my files to see which I needed to copy to DVD, repairing permissions. Doing this all at about the same time. Macs make you more of a multi-tasker than windows. Windows would have taken a dump on me after the third task listed above or maybe even the first. Windows sucks at installing stuff in my opinion....

Anyways these machines are awesome and it only gets better from here!

Nuc

GFLPraxis
Oct 1, 2005, 12:48 AM

There will be quite a lot next year.

...Cedega... :D

chucknorris
Oct 1, 2005, 02:36 AM
Don't let any of the negative posters get you down.

That's negative poster, Chrispy. :D

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 1, 2005, 04:47 AM
mac rumors, where we hate you for switching.

dmw007
Oct 1, 2005, 10:39 PM
OS X was made in China?

BTW what is it with this forum at the moment where did all these trolls come from?

Good question risc.

There is no way that Mac OS and/or Macs are "el cheapo chinese trash". Please..... :rolleyes: Now windows and dell on the other hand.... ;)

dmw007
Oct 1, 2005, 10:41 PM
I've just spent some time updating some software, running macjanitor, surfing the internet, trying to figure how the hell you install GCC 4.0.2 with Fortran, backing up my hard drive using Backup 3.0, also copying more files to another hard drive, flipping through my files to see which I needed to copy to DVD, repairing permissions. Doing this all at about the same time. Macs make you more of a multi-tasker than windows. Windows would have taken a dump on me after the third task listed above or maybe even the first. Windows sucks at installing stuff in my opinion....

Anyways these machines are awesome and it only gets better from here!

Nuc

True, I cringe to think of having to multitask on windblows... :eek: :)

Thank goodness for Mac! :D