Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
My brand new powerbook g4, 15" with Superdrive arrived this morning :D

As a PC user of many years I'm finding the switch a bit interesting...but Google and these forums are coming in pretty handy. Plus when I opened the box up at work - suddenly all these closet Mac fans appeared out of nowhere!

My current feeling - the powerbook is absolutely awesome! I thought I had a pretty shmick PC laptop (silver, sleek, thin, same weight as the PB) - but the PB just blows it away!

The setup was so easy...enter a few details - and bang your into working with it! (and you don't even need that little question mark dude to help you out - ala win XP)

Only complaint so far: the slot sloading superdrive is a bit loud, and the way it sucks your CD in at the last second is a bit freaky! :p

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Mac Me Up said:

As a PC user of many years I'm finding the switch a bit interesting...but Google and these forums are coming in pretty handy. Plus when I opened the box up at work - suddenly all these closet Mac fans appeared out of nowhere!

My current feeling - the powerbook is absolutely awesome! I thought I had a pretty shmick PC laptop (silver, sleek, thin, same weight as the PB) - but the PB just blows it away!

The setup was so easy...enter a few details - and bang your into working with it! (and you don't even need that little question mark dude to help you out - ala win XP)

Only complaint so far: the slot sloading superdrive is a bit loud, and the way it sucks your CD in at the last second is a bit freaky! :p

I couldnt stand paying that much money for a laptop thats underpowered hope it doesnt give u a bad impression of macs but any way congrats on the swich welcome to the community.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
What you don't think it sucks? Based on everything I read here I would have to assume the PowerBook G4 is a POS! ;)

I'm glad you like yours I love my G4 1.67 GHz 15".

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
AP_piano295 said:
I couldnt stand paying that much money for a laptop thats underpowered hope it doesnt give u a bad impression of macs but any way congrats on the swich welcome to the community.

that is one of the stupidest posts of the night in my opinion.

You have a wonderful machine that can run all of todays software and is in no way underpowered. Great machine.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
AP_piano295 said:

LMFAO there you go another troll about the power of the PowerBook!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
risc said:
LMFAO there you go another troll about the power of the PowerBook!

hahahah yep i loved that post, trolling around badmouthing the powerbook at every chance the person gets, and posting threads in wrong areas, its great.

remember to not feed the troll OP

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
eva01 said:

You have a wonderful machine that can run all of todays software and is in no way underpowered. Great machine.

Oh come on eva01 admit it even though the PowerBook G4 does everything people need it to, it sucks! Time to get with the program! :)

Oh well I love my POS PowerBook G4!

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
risc said:
Oh come on eva01 admit it even though the PowerBook G4 does everything people need it to, it sucks! Time to get with the program! :)

Oh well I love my POS PowerBook G4!

I love my two POS powerbooks, if only they could run software that wasn't out yet T____T, that just proves it sucks.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
An interesting side note about how bad the PowerBook G4 1.67 is - my GF has an iMac G5 1.6 GHz it feels about the same as the PowerBook, except the PowerBook can rip CDs and DVDs faster - I guess the iMac sucks too?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
risc said:
An interesting side note about how bad the PowerBook G4 1.67 is - my GF has an iMac G5 1.6 GHz it feels about the same as the PowerBook, except the PowerBook can rip CDs and DVDs faster - I guess the iMac sucks too?

my powerbook is more mobile than my dual 1.8 G5 Powermac, does that mean it sucks too?

ok i am done enough spam for me :p

Mac Me Up

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2005
Australia
AP_piano295 said:

One thing you have to realise is that specifications on paper do not equal a good machine. If that were true I would have bought some souped up PC laptop with bling bling up the ying yang. I've owned high end PC's for about 10 years now, and believe me when I say that this powerbook is easiest the best one of the lot! :D

Besides the PB has plenty under the hood, I'm guessing that you don't own one from the way you're talking...

p.s. I also heard from Chicken Little that the sky would fall if I bought a PB...but it turns out it hasn't...who would have thunk it? :p

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
eva01 said:
my powerbook is more mobile than my dual 1.8 G5 Powermac, does that mean it sucks too?

ok i am done enough spam for me :p

Actually I own a Dual 1.8 GHz G5 as well I actually use the PowerBook more, so I guess that does mean your G5 sucks. ;)

I'm done too!

OP enjoy your PowerBook don't worry about the trolls.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
eva01 said:

It is indeed a great machine it is not a great machine for the price a similar priced pc has more ram, more powerful graphics processor, often inbuilt tv tuner, higher resolution screen... need I go on just because it works for all current programs doesnt make it a good machine for the price. I never said the powerbook sucks its an excellent machine that is powerfully overpriced and if you have the money to blow than more power to you.

I figure atleast I didnt buy it

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Mac Me Up said:

Dont you love the crunch those slot loaders make I cringe every time I hear it. Once again welcome to the mac world as you can see everyones very friendly ;)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Don't let any of the negative posters get you down. The powerbook is a fantastic machine and you will find it to be a wonderful computing experience. Plus, when the Intel Powerbooks come out and people are having compatibility issues you will be able to sit back and laugh ;) Enjoy the new toy and let us know if you need any assistance along the way.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Mac Me Up said:

I agree I do hope that when I buy my next powerbook (mine is <6 mos old) that they would have done something about the loud ass slot drive.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
based on the posts here you'd think APPiano started the thread and not mac me up.

Good luck with your powerbook. I'm not a huge fan of them right now either as in the past they have undeniably been in a better position comparitively to the rest of the mac lineup and the PC lineup, but it's a mac and it's a solid machine.

Right now I'm sitting outside in 60° weather and my ibook is doing a fine job of keeping me warm. I don't see why apple doesn't advertise this feature...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Mac Me Up said:

Congrats on your new Mac btw. I for one still think that the PowerBook G4s are awesome laptops! Enjoy it! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.