Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
I thought my trackpad had died as the last few days have proven to be frustrating - Gestures just seem to stop working at random forcing a reboot.

However, further research shows that this has been present since 10.8.0. How is it still a problem?

Does anyone know if Apple are going to fix this before 10.9??

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I've not had this problem, but a quick Google gives this site claiming to fix it:
http://www.digexpert.com/2012/08/how-to-fix-gestures-no-longer-work-on.html
Does that work?

Thanks, had seen this but it's not the number of fingers that's the problem. It doesn't actually work at all. No expose, no gestured scrolling, notification centre etc.

There are a lot of threads on the apple support forums, but seemingly no official fix which does shock me to be honest. You would expect a fairly widespread and major bug would have been fixed by now?..

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You would expect a fairly widespread and major bug would have been fixed by now?..
Not if It can't be replicated. I have a Magic TouchPad on my mini and a MacBook, and I've not had any problem on either.

Have you installed anything which might affect it? Any third-party utility which runs continually in the background, doing stuff? (Not necessarily related to input.)

Are there any relevant Console messages at the time of the freeze?

Create a clean, brand new user account. Do you get the same problem there? If you switch to it when the gesture freeze starts, are they back again? This would pinpoint the behaviour as system-wide or user-related.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Not if It can't be replicated. I have a Magic TouchPad on my mini and a MacBook, and I've not had any problem on either.

Have you installed anything which might affect it? Any third-party utility which runs continually in the background, doing stuff? (Not necessarily related to input.)

Are there any relevant Console messages at the time of the freeze?

Create a clean, brand new user account. Do you get the same problem there? If you switch to it when the gesture freeze starts, are they back again? This would pinpoint the behaviour as system-wide or user-related.

It's usually when waking from Sleep. A few of my friends have also had the same problem which is how I came to know it was a software issue, and not hardware. A simple restart removes the problem. Fortunately I have only experienced it the odd two or three times in the last 12 months of owning this particular MBP. It's still bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.