PDA

View Full Version : Migration asst. Pc to Imac now two admins...unsure how to proceed

digitalduck
Jan 6, 2013, 05:31 PM
Ok, so im sure youve heard this before but im a new mac user as of yesterday and want to make sure i dont mess it up.

So had my one admin account on my imac then used migration assistant this morning and after 5 hours from my pc i had finished my transfer. Not seeing any files i restarted and had two profiles to boot into...booting into the 2nd i was prompted for my itunes login again and it took me to a different profile. I have all of my transfered files scattered around, but i dont have access to the downloads or pictures folder etc im guess due to a permissions error..

So now i have tow admin user accounts...the original and the one created after migrating from pc.... what is my best option? I just set up the pc yesterday...so still fresh, in case i have to delete anything.

Thanks!

ok so after reading some more it looks like it made a new admin becauase i was bringing over the admin account from windows 7

Weaselboy
Jan 7, 2013, 10:18 AM
Sounds like you know what you did wrong... here is how to fix it.

Make a new admin account called "temp". Login to that account and delete the other two admin accounts and all the data in them. Now start Migration Assist from the temp account and let it run. That will import your old user account and data along with it. When that is done logout of temp and into your real account that was imported. After verifying that everything got imported and is working, delete the temp account and the data with it.