PDA

View Full Version : CES 2013: HAPIfork is a Digital Fork that Tracks Your Eating Habits

MacRumors
Jan 6, 2013, 07:14 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/06/ces-2013-hapifork-is-a-digital-fork-that-tracks-your-eating-habits/)

HAPILABS HAPIfork (http://www.hapilabs.com/products-hapifork.asp) (via The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/6/3843724/hapifork-smart-fork-for-your-iphone)) is an electronic fork that is designed to monitor eating habits with built-in Bluetooth, a capacitive sensor, and a vibration motor.

HAPIfork provides information about eating schedules and alerts users when they are eating too fast, a leading cause of weight gain, according to the manufacturer.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/haptifork.jpg
The fork measures each movement from fork to plate, which is recorded as a "fork serving." The fork monitors how long it takes to finish a meal, the number of fork servings eaten per minute, and the interval between each fork serving.

All of this information is uploaded through USB or Bluetooth to an online dashboard. The fork is also designed to work with the HAPILABS app to provide a coaching program that encourages better eating.

HAPIfork (http://www.hapilabs.com/products-hapifork.asp) will retail for $99.99. The USB version will ship during the second quarter of 2013 and the Bluetooth version will ship during the third quarter of 2013.

Article Link: CES 2013: HAPIfork is a Digital Fork that Tracks Your Eating Habits (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/06/ces-2013-hapifork-is-a-digital-fork-that-tracks-your-eating-habits/)

ghsNick
Jan 6, 2013, 07:17 PM
I'm going to be the first to say this is retarded.

komodrone
Jan 6, 2013, 07:20 PM
shoot me the ****ing face.

sbrhwkp3
Jan 6, 2013, 07:25 PM
Nope. Too far.

MaxxTraxx
Jan 6, 2013, 07:29 PM
Is this thing a joke? Or is this serious?

ghettochris
Jan 6, 2013, 07:34 PM
I wonder how it would interpret a good fork stabbing.

http://www.ksla.com/story/19029878/shreveport-woman-jailed-after-stabbing-man-in-head-with-fork

I bet they sell very few for $99. lol that someone thought this was a good idea. What's next? maybe a bluetooth toilet paper roll to track your toilet paper consumption...

----------

shoot me the ****ing face.

I don't have a gun, but I could stab you in the face with this fork instead. :D

badNameErr
Jan 6, 2013, 07:38 PM
April 1st?

Redbeard25
Jan 6, 2013, 07:39 PM
I'm waiting for the iFork.

filmantopia
Jan 6, 2013, 07:39 PM
Eh, I'll hold off for HAPInapkin to help determine my cleanliness.

a0me
Jan 6, 2013, 07:40 PM
OK, but what if you eat with chopsticks?

appleguy123
Jan 6, 2013, 07:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/RIR52.jpg

Guess I'll have to buy two!

Shrink
Jan 6, 2013, 07:49 PM
I want a list of the names of the ...er....um...remarkable consumers (:p) who buy these...things.

I have a bridge in Brooklyn I am sure I could sell to them.

All of them...one each...

:eek:

Moshe1010
Jan 6, 2013, 07:51 PM
I want iCondom. At least that would benefit my performance.

Greg.
Jan 6, 2013, 07:52 PM
Who gives a fork?

AngerDanger
Jan 6, 2013, 07:55 PM
Fantastic. I've been looking for human repellant. Glad it comes with bluetooth.

OtherJesus
Jan 6, 2013, 08:17 PM
Is this samsungs new tv?

Rufuss Sewell
Jan 6, 2013, 08:19 PM
Wait... am I supposed to eat my typical dinner of tacos and a milkshake with a fork now?

This is gonna be difficult.

MrDc2
Jan 6, 2013, 08:20 PM
"SHUT UP iFORK! I KNOW I'M FAT JUST SHUT-UP ABOUT IT! " :eek:

ghettochris
Jan 6, 2013, 08:21 PM

No, it would just give you a record of how poor it was. :cool:

NachoGrande
Jan 6, 2013, 08:23 PM
What if you want soup.

Mac21ND
Jan 6, 2013, 08:33 PM
Go iFork yourself

MuddyPaws1
Jan 6, 2013, 08:43 PM
Wut 2 teh fork?

This is almost the stupidest thing I have seen for iPeople.

mrsir2009
Jan 6, 2013, 09:24 PM
In my opinion eating healthier foods would be 1000 times more benificial than finishing your meals a few seconds slower... But hey, I guess some people are desperate?

agenda893
Jan 6, 2013, 09:28 PM
Spooning leads to forking.

Squilly
Jan 6, 2013, 09:28 PM
What a forking joke.

Moshe1010
Jan 6, 2013, 09:48 PM
That's what it's all about. They can extend it and suggest me workout routines for $1.99 each through their APP. Better money maker than a fork.

cclloyd
Jan 6, 2013, 09:54 PM
Not much longer till bluetooth enabled toilet paper.

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 6, 2013, 10:00 PM
I would be the first to say this idea is dumb, but a few dozen of you beat me to it, so instead I'm going to be the first to mention the idea may not be as retarded as it sounds:

It takes your stomach time to send signals to the brain that says "All done! I'm not hungry anymore! Stop eating!"

Consider something like eating an appetizer at a restaurant. IDK about you, but personally, when I run out of it, I'm all "I can eat my whole meal still!". Five minutes later I get the meal and I'm like "Eh... hardly hungry anymore... I'll just try some of it now and take the rest home..."

So if the fork is coaching you to eat slower, say, to take ten minutes to eat instead of five, then maybe you'll feel just as full while eating less.

Having said that, I'd rather just use the iPhone's built in timer or something than pay for a retarded looking $100 fork.

FloatingBones
Jan 6, 2013, 10:29 PM
I'm going to be the first to mention the idea may not be as retarded as it sounds:

It takes your stomach time to send signals to the brain that says "All done! I'm not hungry anymore! Stop eating!"

Consider something like eating an appetizer at a restaurant. IDK about you, but personally, when I run out of it, I'm all "I can eat my whole meal still!". Five minutes later I get the meal and I'm like "Eh... hardly hungry anymore... I'll just try some of it now and take the rest home..."

So if the fork is coaching you to eat slower, say, to take ten minutes to eat instead of five, then maybe you'll feel just as full while eating less.

No. The idea is as retarded as it sounds. Read a book like "The Art & Science of Low Carb Performance". Our consumption of carbs is completely broken, and no artificial intelligence in a knife, fork, or spoon will fix that. Cut the carbs, and everything will start working far better.

David153
Jan 6, 2013, 10:35 PM

-------------------------------------------
Chicago Movers (http://kingdavidmovers.com/)

blue22
Jan 6, 2013, 10:56 PM
Well, for fork's sake why the fork not?

Jaro65
Jan 6, 2013, 11:16 PM
The company's next product: A sensor that will run a complex algorithm to tell you if you should far* now or wait a little longer.

arn
Jan 6, 2013, 11:41 PM
No. The idea is as retarded as it sounds. Read a book like "The Art & Science of Low Carb Performance". Our consumption of carbs is completely broken, and no artificial intelligence in a knife, fork, or spoon will fix that. Cut the carbs, and everything will start working far better.

Both could be true.

Big-TDI-Guy
Jan 7, 2013, 12:35 AM

If you want to know how bad you just were, ask the other party. Most girls will let you know faster than any Bluetooth connection. ;)

This device is rendered useless via a trip to your local Burger King. Most of the worst food available in the US require no utensil at all!

tekno
Jan 7, 2013, 03:20 AM
IDK about you

Is it really that hard to type "I don't know"? Especially considering you took the time to type out all the rest of your post.

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 7, 2013, 04:15 AM
Is it really that hard to type "I don't know"? Especially considering you took the time to type out all the rest of your post.

God forbid I reflexively type acronyms on these forums?

Jessica Lares
Jan 7, 2013, 04:37 AM
Lol, no one mentioned about how unhygienic it would be to use the same fork every time you ate something too, even if you did wash it before every meal.

bikeoid
Jan 7, 2013, 05:55 AM
Lol, no one mentioned about how unhygienic it would be to use the same fork every time you ate something too, even if you did wash it before every meal.

Even worse, I suspect most people here actually use different forks every time they eat something. Even though it's been washed, it was previously used by someone else.

hagar
Jan 7, 2013, 06:20 AM
Even worse, I suspect most people here actually use different forks every time they eat something. Even though it's been washed, it was previously used by someone else.

What are you on about? Do you use a brand new fork for each meal? Please dont say yes.

Kissaragi
Jan 7, 2013, 06:23 AM

You use a new fork each time you eat? :confused:

MacRumorUser
Jan 7, 2013, 06:51 AM
Does it mean you can eat chips with your fingers and it doesn't count ?

Porco
Jan 7, 2013, 07:44 AM
SAADfork is a digital fork that wants to track your eating habits but can't quite manage it. Aww, poor SAADfork.

SBlue1
Jan 7, 2013, 07:59 AM
Wow, time just zooms by. A few days ago we just celebrated the new year and now April first is already here!

ChristianJapan
Jan 7, 2013, 08:04 AM
And the soon to be released iToothbrush will start vibrate when not used after the iFork is put aside for 5 minutes ... :D

Just googled and found this: http://www.geekosystem.com/tag/bluetooth-toothbrush/. :eek:

deannnnn
Jan 7, 2013, 08:12 AM
This is like buying a heart monitor that only keeps track of when you wake up every day and requires you to enter your heart rate manually.

HavocLink
Jan 7, 2013, 08:13 AM

WTF? You use a new fork with every meal?

macs4nw
Jan 7, 2013, 09:07 AM

Haha.....

I want a list of the names of the ...er....um...remarkable consumers (:p) who buy these...things....:eek:

Anorexics maybe?? :D But a definite 'pass' for me.

mbc2237
Jan 7, 2013, 09:34 AM
Most "bad for us" food is eating with the hands. Man this is a lame idea.

gtstricky
Jan 7, 2013, 10:06 AM
Now if it was a spork.... than I would buy it!

Tbone999
Jan 7, 2013, 10:20 AM
Easy diet idea: Throw out electronic fork. Eat less. Exercise more.

I will make millions of dollars with this idea.

Rogue.
Jan 7, 2013, 10:56 AM
I have a wife to do this for me!

h1r0ll3r
Jan 7, 2013, 11:00 AM
Oh. My. God. Now I have seen everything iRelated. This takes the cake and then some.

If you need an app enabled fork to tell you you're eating too much/might get fat, you've officially hit rock bottom.

FloatingBones
Jan 7, 2013, 01:46 PM
Both could be true.

Yes, that could be the case. If you dive through the literature, you'll see plenty of evidence for the health impact of a significant drop in our carb intake. Volek and Phinney are as good a place as any to start perusing the literature.

OTOH, I know of no literature linking these gizmos to long-term improvements in body composition and overall health. Hapilabs has a page where they talk about "the science" of their toys, but no published papers whatsoever are cited. Until they provide actual peer-reviewed science, I'm skeptical of any claims this company makes. We really have no idea if the Hapilabs claims are true -- let alone if their methodology has any advantage whatsoever to simply cutting out the carbs.

All things equal, the mechanisms that are designed into our biology are superior to using some gadget -- and nothing has been provided to show that all things are equal.

Thunderhawks
Jan 7, 2013, 05:23 PM
For that money it should tune instruments too.

carlgo
Jan 7, 2013, 09:03 PM
iVibe for the ladies.