Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IDEO founder David Kelley had a wide-ranging interview on tonight's 60 Minutes in which he speaks about his relationship with Steve Jobs, the creation of the first Apple Mouse and more. Kelley and his company, IDEO, were integral in Apple's early history and designed the first Apple Mouse, the Lisa and more.

Kelley talks about Jobs and how he was very specific in wanting things, which isn't a surprise as there have been numerous stories of Jobs calling up people in the middle of the night finalizing details for various products. Kelley also talks about their personal relationship and how Jobs advised Kelley to seek western medicine to treat his wife's throat cancer and how Jobs tried to set up an original iPhone for Kelley by calling AT&T.
"The day after the iPhone was announced, he had one for me. You know,  your own iPhone given to you by Steve Jobs the day after it comes out - it was a lovely feeling. So he decides to hook it up for me, so he gets on the phone to AT&T and he's going to hook up my phone and it's not going well.

Eventually he pulls the 'I'm Steve Jobs' card, you know, he says to the guy 'I'm Steve Jobs.' I'm sure the guy on the other end says "yeah buddy, and I'm Napoleon" like get out of here. Yeah, but anyway he never did get it hooked up. No, not that day."
The Steve Jobs and Apple parts are at the 3:00 and 7:42 marks. The rest of the video focuses on Kelley's early life, IDEO's process and his new relationship with Stanford.

Article Link: IDEO Founder David Kelley Talks to 60 Minutes About Steve Jobs, First Apple Mouse and More

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I was so upset about my iPhone not being activated same day...

Now I don't feel as bad. :eek: :)

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
I love Steve, but seeing the people he worked with is so awesome... The one's who didn't get as much recognition. Great part of them just seem so admirable.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
I love Steve, but seeing the people he worked with is so awesome... The one's who didn't get as much recognition. Great part of them just seem so admirable.

Oh, David Kelley does indeed get a lot of recognition. And all of it is well deserved.

PS: Should you feel for some more design-thinking you can watch a few cool IDEO presentations/speeches on TED — http://www.ted.com/search?cat=ss_all&q=ideo

scottburrow

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I just Bought the book from Tim Brown from Ibooks. It should be a great read. I actually got this for my wife, she manages about a 120 people from all over the united states and India. I thought it would be a good way to solve 21st century business problems.
http://designthinking.ideo.com/

OAK77uk

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2012
David Kelley on 60 Minutes

Fascinating interview with 60 Minutes with an exceptional gentleman. Highly Recommended to watch this video. Would like to have downloaded this - a man I would have loved to have worked with and someone I would loved to have Interviewed for OAK77uk. Thanks MacRumour for posting this. Michael OAK77uk & on Twitter.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
You said the wrong person had cancer....

Please get the story correct!

It was David Kelley who had the cancer NOT HIS WIFE as you say in the article. That's what the 60 minutes segment says. They even talk about how his cancer is now in remission.

Might seem like a minor point to you, but I doubt if he or his family read any of this, they aren't too enthused by the incredible error made by MacRumors...

rahim

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
web development as an industry

Since the mid-1990s, web development has become one of the fastest-growing industries in the world.[citation needed] In 1995 the United States had fewer than 1,000 web-development companies, but by 2005 there were over 30,000 such companies[citation needed]. The growth of this industry is being pushed by large businesses wishing to sell products and services to their customers and to automate business workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.