PDA

View Full Version : CES 2013: LEGO Debuts iOS-Compatible LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3

MacRumors
Jan 7, 2013, 08:10 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/07/ces-2013-lego-debuts-ios-compatible-lego-mindstorms-ev3/)

As noted (http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/lego-mindstorms-ev3-arrives-tailored-for-mobile-apps/) by Engadget, Lego (http://www.lego.com) has announced Mindstorms EV3, a new line of kid-friendly robotics designed to introduce children to building and programming robots while also attracting hobbyists and other robot enthusiasts.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/mindstorms-500x407.jpg
The new Mindstorms system is powered by the EV3 Intelligent Brick, which features an ARM9 processor, 16MB of flash memory, 64MB of RAM, and the ability to function without the PC that previous Mindstorm systems have been dependent on. Lego has been producing Mindstorms since 1998, but the EV3 is the first version that can be programmed without a computer.

The Intelligent Brick offers full compatibility with iOS and Android devices right out of the box, and a new infrared sensor provides additional control over robots. Mindstorms EV3 also features Linux-based firmware, a USB port, and an SD expansion slot.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/ev3-500x506.jpgWe are equipping today's tech-literate generation of children with a more accessible, yet sophisticated robotics kit that meets their tech play expectations and abilities to truly unleash their potential so that they may surprise, impress and excite the world with their creativity.At launch, the set will include building instructions for 17 robots, like "Reptar" the robotic snake that slithers and "Everstorm" the mohawk-sporting humanoid that can shoot mini spheres while it walks.

Lego has partnered with Autodesk to incorporate its first set of 3D building instructions, which will be released in the form of an iPad app.

Lego Mindstorms EV3 will be available for purchase in the summer of 2013 for $349.99.

Article Link: CES 2013: LEGO Debuts iOS-Compatible LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3 (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/07/ces-2013-lego-debuts-ios-compatible-lego-mindstorms-ev3/)

thuchu1
Jan 7, 2013, 08:15 AM
I really wish I had kids so I had an excuse to buy this...

Gemütlichkeit
Jan 7, 2013, 08:18 AM
All of those molded parts don't remind me of the Lego's I remember...

Candunc
Jan 7, 2013, 08:18 AM
Holy crap! 64 GB of RAM? Typo there

samcolson4
Jan 7, 2013, 08:19 AM
64gb of RAM?! Why does it need that much? (Genuine question)

Unggoy Murderer
I loved the Mindstorms NXT, such an amazing piece of kit. Had days of fun building some really awesome things. Wish I had taken it a step further like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtS52lqL5w

Would be a dream come true! :D (And a gaping hole blown through the middle of my credit rating...)

GoCubsGo

I'm disappointed, you don't need kids to buy this! In fact, I would buy this because I don't have kids! Kids will just mess it all up! haha

hmeerlo
64GB RAM can't be right

ChristianJapan
Jan 7, 2013, 08:24 AM

Lucky me, I have a seven years old "excuse" ...

This is actually nice; combine physical toys with virtual components.

Brian Y
Jan 7, 2013, 08:24 AM
I doubt it has 64GB of RAM - the nxt brick had 64kb!!!

I wonder if the guys who build Lejos will port it over when this is available. These make incredibly fun experimental/weekend toys for geeks/programmers - especially when combined with a raspberry pi and/or a computer with bluetooth!

ChristianJapan
Jan 7, 2013, 08:25 AM

That's true; last time I saw an old Lego Spaceship in Lego museum which we had too. Felt transported back 30 years

whooleytoo
Jan 7, 2013, 08:25 AM

...I think I need to research this product, so I know what to buy my future children. It's just good future-parenting.

ChristianJapan
Jan 7, 2013, 08:26 AM
I doubt it has 64GB of RAM - the nxt brick had 64kb!!!

I wonder if the guys who build Lejos will port it over when this is available. These make incredibly fun experimental/weekend toys for geeks/programmers - especially when combined with a raspberry pi and/or a computer with bluetooth!

64GB could be it they offer a little camera (USB ?) in or for sound files ... Maybe 64MB ...

Brian Y
Jan 7, 2013, 08:38 AM
64GB could be it they offer a little camera (USB ?) in or for sound files ... Maybe 64MB ...

Looking at other reports it has 64MB. That's pretty good. That's 1000 times what the old one had!

charlieegan3
Jan 7, 2013, 08:41 AM
I never had enough money for these when I was young.

Dave-Z
Jan 7, 2013, 08:42 AM

Thankfully, I just had a kid last year; so now I have an excuse to buy this! :cool:

jjhoekstra
Jan 7, 2013, 08:46 AM

My one year old twin girls are all the excuse I need!!!

Formul
Jan 7, 2013, 08:46 AM

If you are old enough to have kids you are old enough to buy anything you want :D

EmmEff
Jan 7, 2013, 08:54 AM
This is a very cool, albeit expensive toy! I don't think I can wait until next Christmas to get this for my 8 year old :cool:

designs216
Jan 7, 2013, 09:06 AM
My son is all over the place -- except when it comes to Legos. Too bad this little toy is so expensive.

Jimmy James
Jan 7, 2013, 09:09 AM
It needs a smartphone to operate? That is a computer.

macs4nw
Jan 7, 2013, 09:16 AM
But will it serve dinner? :p

tbrinkma
Jan 7, 2013, 09:23 AM

Wait...

You had *unmolded* Lego bricks!!! :eek: :p

notjustjay
Jan 7, 2013, 09:31 AM
Wait...

You had *unmolded* Lego bricks!!! :eek: :p

Haha. I'm sure you knew this but I bet he's referring to all of the "custom" parts that LEGO creates for all the different theme kits. And I agree with the poster you quoted... it's less fun when the pieces assemble more like a model kit and less like a generic "assemble anything you want" building block set.

As for the NXT, when I read the headline, I thought maybe LEGO had come up with a way to use an iPhone or iPod touch as the actual "brain". Instead of that big grey brick, they could just create a piece of LEGO with a dock connector and the wiring to connect sensors and motors. Then the iDevice itself could control everything and you'd have access to even more powerful sensors like the camera, gyroscope, compass, even GPS.

Actually it would probably still be a big brick because you would want batteries to power the LEGO motors. But you could probably sell a "dumb" battery box with a dock connector for much less than an NXT microcontroller.

I'd buy one :)

Speedy Gonzalez
Jan 7, 2013, 09:35 AM
This may be even better than the curiosity rover on Mars " :D

balamw
Jan 7, 2013, 09:55 AM
Must resist urge to post a "Shut Up and Take My Money" picture of Fry!

I wonder if FLL will stay with the NXT for now.

It would really be nice if the smartphone/tablet could be used as a bit more than just a remote. e.g. if some processing could be done there... That would allow for some of the integration notjustjay was proposing. As the smartphone, etc... gets smarter/faster the capabilities of this increase.

B

tbrinkma
Jan 7, 2013, 10:34 AM
Haha. I'm sure you knew this but I bet he's referring to all of the "custom" parts that LEGO creates for all the different theme kits. And I agree with the poster you quoted... it's less fun when the pieces assemble more like a model kit and less like a generic "assemble anything you want" building block set.

Current Lego kits have *fewer* 'specialty' pieces than most of the kits I grew up with (in the late 70s and through the 80s). The 'look-at-all-the-fancy-pieces' nonsense is pretty much rose-tinted nostalgia.

As for the NXT, when I read the headline, I thought maybe LEGO had come up with a way to use an iPhone or iPod touch as the actual "brain". Instead of that big grey brick, they could just create a piece of LEGO with a dock connector and the wiring to connect sensors and motors. Then the iDevice itself could control everything and you'd have access to even more powerful sensors like the camera, gyroscope, compass, even GPS.

Actually it would probably still be a big brick because you would want batteries to power the LEGO motors. But you could probably sell a "dumb" battery box with a dock connector for much less than an NXT microcontroller.

I'd buy one :)

That's kind of what I was hoping for as well, but you'd still need about 90% of the NXT 'brick', for the batteries, and connectors, so it doesn't really make much sense to go that route. Additionally, if it actually relied on an iDevice for the 'brains', the whole cost of a usable kit would be *much* more expensive, and they'd be restricting their potential market share (for an already niche portion of a niche product line) even more.

That said, I suspect a sufficiently knowledgeable person could rig up an iPhone-to-Mindstorms interface cable to give access to the iPhone's sensors.

charlituna
Jan 7, 2013, 10:37 AM
. Additionally, if it actually relied on an iDevice for the 'brains', the whole cost of a usable kit would be *much* more expensive.

So either include it with the rest or sell it separate for those of us with an old iPhone lying around the house basically collecting dust.

tbrinkma
Jan 7, 2013, 10:49 AM
So either include it with the rest or sell it separate for those of us with an old iPhone lying around the house basically collecting dust.

Or, do what Lego did, and provide a means to interact with more than just one brand of devices, and make sure they're selling a *complete* product that doesn't rely on the whims of other companies in unrelated markets. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it would be *neat* if you could just plug in your iPhone, but it's not even remotely *practical* to require it from a product design stand-point.

ucfgrad93
Jan 7, 2013, 11:26 AM
I'm disappointed, you don't need kids to buy this! In fact, I would buy this because I don't have kids! Kids will just mess it all up! haha

Agreed, not to mention, you have to share with them.:D This looks totally awesome!

Numbah One
Jan 7, 2013, 11:57 AM
At launch, the set will include building instructions for 17 robots, like "Reptar" the robotic snake that slithers and "Everstorm" the mohawk-sporting humanoid that can shoot mini spheres while it walks.

Oh good - first generation Terminators.

balamw
Jan 7, 2013, 12:00 PM
Oh good - first generation Terminators.

Who knew LEGO was getting their ARM( SoCs from Cyberdyne. :p

Bluetooth? Nah, we use Skynet.

B

Yujenisis
Jan 7, 2013, 12:09 PM
Lego Mindstorms EV3 will be available for purchase in the summer of 2013 for $349.99.

Egad!

I guess in my day* Lego Logo cost at least this much.

*I am officially old.

snebes
Jan 7, 2013, 12:14 PM
...I think I need to research this product, so I know what to buy my future children. It's just good future-parenting.

Yes. That is my new excuse for all the Legos in my house.

Tankmaze
Jan 7, 2013, 01:08 PM
That picture somehow reminds me of WALL-E

Benjamin,
Jan 7, 2013, 04:42 PM
So that gives me 6-12 months to save the required cash.

RedTomato
Jan 7, 2013, 06:40 PM
I would so much love to buy this stuff but it is just too expensive. I have two kids but they aren't really into Lego. My 7 year old girl loves 'science' so I buy her lots of model rockets and science kits and we make sodium bicarbonate volcanos etc. I think this Lego kit probably costs more than every present I've bought her in her life put together.

flottenheimer
Jan 8, 2013, 01:02 AM
Awesomeness!

http://cdn.ndtv.com/tech/images/gadgets/Lego-Robo-635.jpg

http://www.ispazio.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Lego-EV3-ispazio.jpg

and I found much more here:
The Brick Fan — Ev3 (http://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-mindstorms-ev3-announced-ahead-of-ces-2013/) check out the ev3elephants, the 3v3dogs ... the ev3everything!

TBR
Jan 8, 2013, 04:48 AM
Now these are expensive sets....but....

The last two sets I bought,

PoTC Queen Anne's Revenge = £100 (ish)
Technic Helicoptor + Power Functions = £100 (ish)

Are almost the the same cost as the new Mindstorms kit if Lego do a simple currency conversion from the US costs released.

edit- Just seen the pricing in Euro's and it looks like we in the UK are probably going to be paying approx £280 for these sets....bummer.

But the Mindstorms I feel will have much more 'play' potential then the models above (bearing in mind I'm 32).

Lazrhog
Jan 8, 2013, 05:30 AM
Just bought the old one for my lad for Xmas. Would have probably waited for this, but Lego decided to wait until after Xmas before releasing ANY info about it. Not very nice business practice if you ask me.....

Malice604
Jan 9, 2013, 12:22 PM
Just bought the old one for my lad for Xmas. Would have probably waited for this, but Lego decided to wait until after Xmas before releasing ANY info about it. Not very nice business practice if you ask me.....

Blame CES for their scheduling, not Lego. That said, why would any company tell you NOT to spend money on their products now and instead wait for 6 months? Tell me the last time you've seen that happen... :D

When Apple keeps locked door secrecy on what products they are releasing, is that ok?

I also love the "too expensive" comments. How much was that last iPhone you bought?

And finally... this is not the first Mindstorms that you can use without a computer. iPhones and Androids are computers too, last time I checked.

Lazrhog
Jan 10, 2013, 07:44 AM
Blame CES for their scheduling, not Lego. That said, why would any company tell you NOT to spend money on their products now and instead wait for 6 months? Tell me the last time you've seen that happen... :D

When Apple keeps locked door secrecy on what products they are releasing, is that ok?

I also love the "too expensive" comments. How much was that last iPhone you bought?

And finally... this is not the first Mindstorms that you can use without a computer. iPhones and Androids are computers too, last time I checked.

I didn't complain about the price (especially having just forked out for a new BTO 27" iMac :D)

Lego aren't Apple. This product hasn't seen many big revisions over the years. Can't blame them for wanting to clear out old stock at xmas I suppose, but it doesn't make customers happy, and they probably wont come back

DrMotownMac
Aug 16, 2013, 11:07 PM
Anyone else out there counting the days for the LEGO Mindstorms EV3 to hit stores? They say it's going on sale on September 1st, and while my 6 year old daughter expressed some vague interest ("That looks pretty cool, Daddy"), I know I'm really buying it as a toy for me...if she wants to play with it, well, I just might let her. ;)

Any other "grown-ups" looking forward to buying this cool new LEGO kit?

MDJCM
Aug 20, 2013, 04:30 AM

Exactly :(

Yeah, they lost direction there a bit, simple/blocky parts is where it's at

okr
Aug 20, 2013, 06:09 AM
The new Mindstorms system is powered by the EV3 Intelligent Brick, which features an ARM9 processor, 16MB of flash memory, 64MB of RAM, and the ability to function without the PC that previous Mindstorm systems have been dependent on.

I know it's only storing small files, but 16 mb of flash seems ridiculous in this day and age. The Mindstorms brick I had like 10 years ago could only store a few programs which was tedious as all hell.

Anyone know if this features bluetooth or wifi?

DrMotownMac
Sep 2, 2013, 09:10 PM
Just bought the LEGO MindStorms EV3 set for my six year old daughter and myself (yeah, okay, mostly myself). All I can say is...WOW!

I highly recommend this "toy" to anyone who has children...and even to those who don't!! It is really amazing!

c4bbage
Apr 5, 2014, 10:46 AM
Can anyone advise me if Mindstorms EV3 is workable for someone who isn't the best at computers?
I've seen this review http://www.squidoo.com/your-own-robot-with-lego-mindstorms-ev3 which looks cool. The building part of it i'm fine with as I can help my children with it but i'm worried about the downloading and bits where you have to program and stuff.
How easy is it to do? In the link above you see one solving a suduko puzzle and climbing stairs. Is this doable for a normal person?