Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin yesterday announced (via Engadget) the forthcoming launch of its PowerDock 5, a $99.99 charging station that organizes up to five iOS devices in the space otherwise taken up by one iPad laid flat.
PowerDock 5 is the ultimate space-saving, countertop charging and storage solution for up to 5 iPads. Designed for convenience and efficiency, PowerDock 5 contains five charging bays large enough to accommodate an iPad encased in even the largest of cases, including Griffin's own Survivor case. When not in use, PowerDock 5 keeps all the users' device cables tucked away and organized, ready for use at any time.
The PowerDock 5 will launch later this spring.

griffin_powerdock_5.jpg
Griffin PowerDock 5
Griffin is also introducing several other charging accessories at CES, including the PowerBlock wall charger ($29.99) and PowerJolt car charger ($24.99). Both devices include Griffin's new "ChargeSensor" technology that automatically senses a device's power profile and charges the device accordingly.
All mobile devices have specific charging profiles that dictate how much, and how quickly, they can charge. Most chargers are designed with a one-size-fits-all approach which typically does not support the requirements of each individual device. Griffin's new ChargeSensor technology senses the requirements of any device plugged into it, providing optimal charging for all USB-chargeable devices.
Both the PowerBlock and PowerJolt will also be launching in the spring.

Article Link: CES 2013: Griffin PowerDock 5 Charges and Organizes Up to 5 iOS Devices

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
And since few cables are 3 inches in length, this setup will look messy REAL fast (that photo is deceiving). As if Griffin would offer cables...(and an array of Lighting/Dock Connector cables to boot)...

P.S. My wife is already flabbergasted that I have a 'cable box' in the first place. At least that's hidden away under the bed.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For that price why not include the short cables like they have pictured?
I also wish they had a 3-device rack.

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
$99 is a bit steep, but this is perfect for a family with 3 iPhones, 2 iPads, and a couple of older generation iPods.
Griffin's products have been pretty reliable in the past -- in my experience anyway. Might give this a shot.

Last edited:

yod

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
London
A burglar's dream - a couple grands in iOS devices neatly packed together ready to be taken.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008

Because they aren't showing short cables. The cables (probably not even real cables) are tucked behind the devices. In real life, this thing probably looks like a cluster**** if you have 5 devices in there.

Seeing the empty picture, I was hoping the devices could sit upright connecting directly into a lightning or 30-pin connector. That would be a great 5- or 3-device dock.

Last edited by a moderator:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
If it's just USB ports, there's no reason why you couldn't also use this to charge Android phones, Windows phones, mp3 players, cameras, Kindles, etc. It's not just for iOS devices. And that's going to make it pretty handy.

Would have been nice if short cables were included.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Hmm..$100 for what is in effect a 5-port power-only USB hub?

Nope, no such thing as an :apple: tax ;)

Elvin77

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Way too expensive

So what's the difference between this and a 5 port powered USB hub other than the plastic little dividers and the $100 price tag?:confused:

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
total fail.

this is just a fancy looking USB multiplier. does not come with short cables. when i clicked on the article i was hoping it was something like: http://www.xtrememac.com/en-US/products/chargers/incharge-series/incharge-x5-docking-station/

Yes but, that's $50 more and can only hold iOS devices with 30-pin connectors...
Even having to supply your own cables, Griffin's product is more versatile than the XtremeMac version you describe. The Cables, however could be a nuisance.

Blomkvist

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
North Carolina
We have a family of five and there are 8 iOS devices between us, so this dock could be a nice way to easily charge many devices at once. But jeez, for that sticker price, I would expect either:
A. Include short cables to help keep the station clutter free and ease ability to pull one device out of many.

B. Even easier, incorporate some slots in the dividers that allow you to wrap cables around to keep them up and out of the way.

I'll wait for actual reviews on this one and see when the price drops.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd be inclined to buy the letter sized version of something like this:
s0028491_sc7

And stick it on top of something like this:
USB%20Hub.jpg

There are plastic versions of the letter holder, I used to have one at work. You can find a nice USB hub for < $30 easy. This is basically what they're selling us for $99. If it provided some sort of actual power and cables, I would probably see the point of the price.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Yes but, that's $50 more and can only hold iOS devices with 30-pin connectors...
Even having to supply your own cables, Griffin's product is more versatile than the XtremeMac version you describe. The Cables, however could be a nuisance.

That's why "hoping" hoping that it was lightning. But I do see what u mean by versatile since u could power droids or anything USB.

kipj77

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2010
Because....

Because they in fact are long cables that have been nicely tucked behind each device.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
s0028491_sc7

USB%20Hub.jpg

There are plastic versions of the letter holder, I used to have one at work. You can find a nice USB hub for < $30 easy. This is basically what they're selling us for $99. If it provided some sort of actual power and cables, I would probably see the point of the price.

I can make ur version in my office tomorrow n save $99 lol

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
If it's just USB ports, there's no reason why you couldn't also use this to charge Android phones, Windows phones, mp3 players, cameras, Kindles, etc. It's not just for iOS devices. And that's going to make it pretty handy.

Would have been nice if short cables were included.

You've started your post with exactly why the cables are not included, because it's not just aimed at iOS products but any product that charges via USB, which means many different cables can be used - even if it was iOS, it's still lightning or 30-pin, which would they give you?

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
s0028491_sc7

USB%20Hub.jpg

USB hubs typically won't provide more than 500mA to each port. So if it charges, it'll charge your stuff slowly. (there's the other problem in that some devices don't like to charge from a hub which has no computer attached to the other end)

That said, there's no way I'm paying $99 for a couple of USB chargers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.