Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Hi

My nearly 3 months old MBA has started to make a sound whenever I pick it up from the right side. I haven't noticed it before, and it's not really a big thing, I'm just concerned it'll be worse or in a future sale. It's probably not a hardware-thing, but still kinda annoying since it's quite expensive.

It sounds like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Zg21lgtQ8

What should I do? Live with it, or call Apple? I bought it online, but got no AppleStores in my country, so can't just drop by. Also it's configured, so I'll probably have to wait for another one, and be without a laptop for a while, which really isn't an option!.. :(

What would you do?

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know, searched the forum, but the threads are kinda old, and I just want some new input regarding the 2012-models, and what Apple usually do in situations like this
There are newer threads on this. That was only a sample. If you search the MBA forum for "creak", you'll find plenty of posts. Also, how Apple handles the issue is the same, regardless of what year model it is.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
There are newer threads on this. That was only a sample. If you search the MBA forum for "creak", you'll find plenty of posts.

Jesus, dude. I'm really just looking for an answer to my question. I have searched, and didn't find anything relevant.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Jesus, dude. I'm really just looking for an answer to my question. I have searched, and didn't find anything relevant.

Whoa, deep breath dude. The very first link from GGJstudios outlines that people are removing the screws and putting loctite on them, and that appears to be working for some. Read through that one and see if that helps you out.

In the future, remember this a forum, not tech support. If you want the definitive answer right away, take it to an Apple store and have it checked out by them. Otherwise, we're just guys like you trying to help people out during our day jobs.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
Whoa, deep breath dude. The very first link from GGJstudios outlines that people are removing the screws and putting loctite on them, and that appears to be working for some. Read through that one and see if that helps you out.

In the future, remember this a forum, not tech support. If you want the definitive answer right away, take it to an Apple store and have it checked out by them. Otherwise, we're just guys like you trying to help people out during our day jobs.

It may have sounded a bit harsh, but GGJstudios usually answers with a couple of threads, which is fine, but not always helpful. And I can't take it to a Apple Store since I don't have on. But the screws are not normal, and haven't got a screwdriver for them. Hmmm.. Maybe it's too much a hassle...

By futher investigation it seems to crack from right under the trackpad..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It may have sounded a bit harsh, but GGJstudios usually answers with a couple of threads, which is fine, but not always helpful.
That's because most questions are asked repetitively and the answers usually lie in existing threads, as is the case here. As stated in the forum rules:
The best way to be helpful is by posting a link to a relevant thread or specific instructions for problem solving.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
That's because most questions are asked repetitively and the answers usually lie in existing threads, as is the case here. As stated in the forum rules:

Yeah, I'm sorry. I have just searched the forum so it felt like a slap in the face ;)

But still.. Not really sure what to do. If Apple would send a new one right away and my current to be returned I wouldn't hesitate. Doubt it though..

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
It may have sounded a bit harsh, but GGJstudios usually answers with a couple of threads, which is fine, but not always helpful. And I can't take it to a Apple Store since I don't have on. But the screws are not normal, and haven't got a screwdriver for them. Hmmm.. Maybe it's too much a hassle...

By futher investigation it seems to crack from right under the trackpad..

I understand. There is so much information in the MacRumor forums it's hard to digest it all without spending an entire week reading through the posts. I'll admit I've done the same thing (I'm even debating about starting another "Will Bootcamp run on an external SSD" thread even though 99.9% of the world says it can't be done, but then others say they've done it.) I know better, but I want it to work!!

My 2011 13" MBA lid creaks when I close it, and I can feel more flex in the case than it should have. My screwdriver doesn't seem to quite fit (screws are extremely soft), so I haven't pulled mine apart yet. (I think in that first thread from GGJ they talk about the trackpad creak as well).

On the plus side, you're covered by the warranty still and the worst case scenario is that you have to send it in for replacement. Wish I had that option for mine.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
I'll give Apple a call tomorrow.. I might be OCD, but spending that much on a laptop should make it perfect.,

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Even if it was "perfect", it won't stay that way.

If it's something important, by all means have Apple look at it or read some of the threads about how to resolve. I've resolved several creaks myself using the information in the threads listed.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Let us know how it works out. My old 2010 Air (that my gf now uses) has started doing the same thing. When you pick it up on the left side, it "cracks" a bit. I also noticed the left part of the trackpad won't "click" anymore - I have to use "tap to click" on that edge, but it works on the right side. If I hold the computer up, holding it in the bottom left corner, the trackpad click works again :) So it's probably the trackpad or the bottom cover just beneath it that has come loose a tiny bit. Probably not hard to fix, but I haven't had the time to look into it more.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
To summarize a working remedy that I picked up from the threads previously posted on this:

If its the bottom case that is creaking, use blue loctite on the screws.

I bought the tiniest quantity of that stuff and applied a little on the chassis screws and any flex and creaking is gone. I did this around February last year. No need for reapplication.

Why do this?

During daily usage, the screws on the bottom on your MBA will loosen as they rotate along their axes. This is due a lack of grip between the chassis screw hole and the screws either due to thread thickness or the shortness of the contacting areas (something you can't change). Loctite is effectively an adhesive that will increase grip.

If you send it back, it is unlikely they can do much and they may even exacerbate the problem. At most, they'll replace your bottom and top case while keeping the guts and this will still result in creaking if they don't put loctite on the screws.

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2012
The only reason I find it annoying is that my old 2010-model didn't do it. Overall it felt more study than my 2012. Also my hinge creaks a bit when I open the lid (nothing major however). So I've had a rock solid model before, and just got disappointed with this..

Laertes007

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Hi to everyone:

This is my first time in the forum. Just with the same problem with my one month old mac.

Did loctite blue solved your problem?

Regards and sorry for my poor english

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Hi to everyone:

This is my first time in the forum. Just with the same problem with my one month old mac.

Did loctite blue solved your problem?

Regards and sorry for my poor english

Tightening the screws and using something like loctite worked for me on 3 different Airs. However, a good tip is to use a tiny drop of clear fingernail polish instead of loctite - it provides similar hold, but less firmly (i.e. you can still remove screws easily if you need to) and is clear, so noone will ask you about it if you need service.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Not having this issue on my Air but did have it on my rMBP. I bought the screwdriver on Ebay and reseated all the screws and it has been fine since.

Robyr

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2010
Tightening the screws and using something like loctite worked for me on 3 different Airs. However, a good tip is to use a tiny drop of clear fingernail polish instead of loctite - it provides similar hold, but less firmly (i.e. you can still remove screws easily if you need to) and is clear, so noone will ask you about it if you need service.

Glad people are still taking my advice to heart. I remember when I posted in those first few threads on this issue and forum members acted like I was crazy... WHOS CRAZY NOW? BAHAHAHA... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.