Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
The Speck Candyshell cases was 35 dollars each at Best Buy and we bought three of them.
But it came with discount for the screen protector.

We did calculations and it came out to be $40 more expensive than if we had bought it at Amazon.

Could we refund it even when we had already stuck the screen protector on the screen?

BTW it seems to me that the screen protector makes it kind of harder to type on the screen and seems to diminish a little bit the color of the screen, true?
It seems to make the screen be a little sticky feeling, not the smooth glass-y feeling which feels better to the finger.

Also I just took my case off because the iPhone5 felt bulky with it on. It feels lighter and thinner and I can handle it much more comfortably with the case off.

Can anyone recommend a bumper? Preferably a bumper that adds a thin film of glass on the back (if it exists?), because the aluminum hybrid texture is goose-bump inducing and doesn't feel as good as glass.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The Speck Candyshell cases was 35 dollars each at Best Buy and we bought three of them.
But it came with discount for the screen protector.

We did calculations and it came out to be $40 more expensive than if we had bought it at Amazon.

Could we refund it even when we had already stuck the screen protector on the screen?

Any reason you didn't do the price comparison earlier? Regardless, while price matching may exist, once you've used the product it's likely not going to happen (also, 3 phones + associated monthly plans and you're complaining about $40?

BTW it seems to me that the screen protector makes it kind of harder to type on the screen and seems to diminish a little bit the color of the screen, true?
It seems to make the screen be a little sticky feeling, not the smooth glass-y feeling which feels better to the finger
Well yes, that does make sense, you're putting another layer between your finger and the screen. In similar way, a couch will feel different if you wrap it in plastic.

Also I just took my case off because the iPhone5 felt bulky with it on. It feels lighter and thinner and I can handle it much more comfortably with the case off.
Again, this is surprising?

Can anyone recommend a bumper? Preferably a bumper that adds a thin film of glass on the back (if it exists?), because the aluminum hybrid texture is goose-bump inducing and doesn't feel as good as glass.

I use neither cases nor bumpers, I'm sure the "my phone got a scratch when I breathed on it" crowd will chime in with some.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008

Very good, now it will be easier to drop and when you do you can come back and create yet another thread, like this one ......... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1521358/

By the way, I have dropped my iPhone dozens of times with ZERO DAMAGE !!!!

Gotta love the OTTERBOX DEFENDER - it really does the job!!!!

I'm a man with man sized hands so I can handle the bulk.

I am used to regularly handling a bulk with my hands! ;)

Last edited:

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Any reason you didn't do the price comparison earlier? Regardless, while price matching may exist, once you've used the product it's likely not going to happen (also, 3 phones + associated monthly plans and you're complaining about $40?

The monthly plans are bad too. It comes out to 5k over two years. We could have done without this if we just bought used iPod touch4 to use with Talkatone app which could then be used as a phone with google voice account whenever there is an Internet access. Unfortunately it's not my money and all I can do is try to dissuade my family already having financial problems from this unnecessary financial burden.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Scary to have the "kid" making financial judgements for the adults. I suggest u talk to your more "sensible" Aunt/Uncles and run this by them.

Touch+WIFI, you are technically correct but even me (Mr El Cheapo) thinks this is too much hassle. People on a tight budget should look at pre-Paid cell plans.

Anywhoo I see you got a laptop, a music player, a phone... maybe you could start by telling your parents, I can go use the computer at the library?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
We could have done without this if we just bought used iPod touch4 to use with Talkatone app which could then be used as a phone with google voice account whenever there is an Internet access. Unfortunately it's not my money and all I can do is try to dissuade my family already having financial problems from this unnecessary financial burden.
Maybe they find voice calls without Wifi necessary. Many do.

It seems to make the screen be a little sticky feeling, not the smooth glass-y feeling which feels better to the finger.
Again, research first. Screen protectors vary. If you wanted a feel close to glass then you could have purchased a suitable screen protector.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
I don't like the color of the case. Is it possible to switch to a different case? What about black iPhone to white iPhone ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.