PDA

View Full Version : CES 2013: LaCie Introduces New 20TB Thunderbolt and NAS Products

MacRumors
Jan 7, 2013, 02:57 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/07/ces-2013-lacie-introduces-new-20tb-thunderbolt-and-nas-products/)

LaCie introduced a pair of high-capacity storage devices at CES today.

The first, the LaCie 5big (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10607) is a 10 or 20TB external RAID box connected via Thunderbolt. The box includes five drives with multiple RAID options for backup and speed, as well as a pair of Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining. The box is $2,199 in 20TB configuration, and $1,199 for the 10TB version.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/01/5bigTB_intro.png
LaCie also introduced the 5big NAS Pro (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10604), a gigabit ethernet equipped network storage box available in multiple capacities: 0TB (diskless) for $529, 10TB for $1,199, and 20TB for $2,199.
Today LaCie announced the 5big NAS Pro, its latest high-performance 5-bay network-attached storage solution powered by Intel®. Thanks to hybrid cloud technology, the LaCie 5big NAS Pro lets employees collaborate easily using a single interface for both network/cloud storage and remote access. Plus, data stays secure thanks to novice-friendly SimplyRAID and client-side cloud encryption.

With transfer speeds up to 200MB/s*, the LaCie 5big NAS Pro boosts business productivity. Powered by a dual-core 2.13GHz Intel 64-bit Atom(TM) processor and 4GB RAM, it also features dual LAN and link aggregation for optimized network speeds. This performance-driven combination accelerates file sharing, remote access, and backups for small businesses.The 5big Thunderbolt drive is available for order (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10607) from LaCie today, while LaCie is taking sign ups (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10604) to be notified when the 5big NAS Pro is available.

Article Link: CES 2013: LaCie Introduces New 20TB Thunderbolt and NAS Products (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/07/ces-2013-lacie-introduces-new-20tb-thunderbolt-and-nas-products/)

adcx64
Jan 7, 2013, 03:00 PM
For those of you who wre around longer than I am, was FireWire as expensive at launch?

Lesser Evets
Jan 7, 2013, 03:08 PM
NO. Though, to be fair, it didn't have as much dynamic peripherals as the TB.

FireWire wasn't cheap, but it wasn't exorbitant.

iDemiurge
Jan 7, 2013, 03:10 PM
Finally something that can store my entire collection of educational videos!

NakedSnake
Jan 7, 2013, 03:10 PM
"I'm afraid I can't let you save that, Dave."

unplugme71
Jan 7, 2013, 03:15 PM
Kinda upset to see it doesn't offer mSATA to provide a 32, 64, or 128GB cache drive like the Drobo's have.

It makes a BIG difference in speed.

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2013, 03:15 PM

Agreed! Although, these aren't nearly as bad as the Pegasus enclosures from Promise. Although, the price may be justified with LaCie's track record in QC.

I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.

Mactekk
Jan 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
Still waiting on the longer thunderbolt cables to come out so we can hide these things away....

FrizzleFryBen
Jan 7, 2013, 03:18 PM
DOA for me with only RAID 0 and 1.

KieranDotW
Jan 7, 2013, 03:19 PM

I was wondering who needed that much storage...

KylePowers
Jan 7, 2013, 03:20 PM
Boy do I wish I had $1200 just laying around!

Exotic-Car Man
Jan 7, 2013, 03:20 PM
I don't understand the 0TB. What's the point of a diskless storage device for over $500?

unplugme71
Jan 7, 2013, 03:23 PM

supports 5 and 5+spare.

Wish it had RAID 6 too. Although not sure if performance is better with RAID 5 + Spare or RAID 6.

----------

I don't understand the 0TB. What's the point of a diskless storage device for over $500?

So you can provide your own set of disks if you already have a set.

Or not over pay for the same drives you can get at another retailer

thepowerofnone
Jan 7, 2013, 03:25 PM
Can someone please explain to me why you would choose the NAS over a Thunderbolt model given the identical price and assuming you had a Thunderbolt equipped Mac which could host the Thunderbolt model as a shared disk over a network?

Given the difference in transfer speeds I can't really work it out - there would be no point putting SSDS in the NAS at those speeds (to be fair there would be little point buying a 5 bay enclosure to kit out with SSDs regardless of connection type given current GB/$ prices for SSDs and HDDs unless you needed über-speed on your remote storage).

unplugme71
Jan 7, 2013, 03:27 PM
Agreed! Although, these aren't nearly as bad as the Pegasus enclosures from Promise. Although, the price may be justified with LaCie's track record in QC.

I am no HDD basher, but I've had my fair share of LaCie power supplies conk out on me.

I've had 3 bad experiences with Lacie and their warranty service finds every excuse not to cover it.

1 was power supply, 1 was failed drive, 1 was connection issues.

The failed drive I replaced myself. The one with the bad power supply brick I ended up taking the one with connection issues and trashed the drive enclosure.

----------

Can someone please explain to me why you would choose the NAS over a Thunderbolt model given the identical price and assuming you had a Thunderbolt equipped Mac which could host the Thunderbolt model as a shared disk over a network?

Given the difference in transfer speeds I can't really work it out - there would be no point putting SSDS in the NAS at those speeds (to be fair there would be little point buying a 5 bay enclosure to kit out with SSDs regardless of connection type given current GB/$ prices for SSDs and HDDs unless you needed über-speed on your remote storage).

Those speeds are based off of mechanical drives, not SSDs.

NAS allows the device to be a standalone vs having a Mac/PC on to share files over the network.

This device would be 100x better having an mSATA port on the bottom for a cache drive.

Better?

centauratlas
Jan 7, 2013, 03:27 PM
The first 5 MB and 10 MB (Trustor) hard disks for the Apple ][ and ][+ were quite pricey then too. I think they were around the same price back in the 1982-1984 time frame.

edit: And that really is MB, not GB or TB. Talk about a huge change over the last 30 years.

For those of you who wre around longer than I am, was FireWire as expensive at launch?

unplugme71
Jan 7, 2013, 03:29 PM
Looking between this new one and version 2, the new one lacks iSCSI, RAID 6, and a few other important things for business use.

Kinda shocked they dropped that support. Although they did add USB 3.0 and dual link aggregation

OriginalMacRat
Jan 7, 2013, 03:30 PM

I was at an educational conference where an Apple engineer was demonstrating a FireWire board with a $300 camera.

I mentioned how sick I was of dealing with SCSI cables and terminators and would love to have firewire drives. He laughed and explained that FireWire was designed for video.

FrizzleFryBen
Jan 7, 2013, 03:32 PM
supports 5 and 5+spare.

Wish it had RAID 6 too. Although not sure if performance is better with RAID 5 + Spare or RAID 6.

Guess they should update their specs page... http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10607

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2013, 03:33 PM

So you can provide your own set of disks if you already have a set. Or not over pay for the same drives you can get at another retailer

Add to that some HDD manufacturers/retailers have better warranties and coverage.

I've had 3 bad experiences with Lacie and their warranty service finds every excuse not to cover it.

1 was power supply, 1 was failed drive, 1 was connection issues.

I had four bad power supplies from LaCie and justs about all of them went up within the same year . . . . right when the warranty was up.

I haven't had a single issue with the mobile drives LaCie makes. I've two rugged drives pushing 6 years that haven't given me one single problem.

I was wondering who needed that much storage...

I have a short documentary (45 minutes) a colleague and I are working on, and the raw footage alone is pushing 3TBs. I haven't marketed myself to do any freelance post in almost 4 years, but even then, with the small projects I ate 7TBs easy. I am talking 30 second spots eating up 100GBs in raw footage alone.

Imagine an indie feature.

Hakone
Jan 7, 2013, 03:37 PM

'..... if you know what I mean'

ndpitch
Jan 7, 2013, 03:44 PM
'..... if you know what I mean'

http://i50.tinypic.com/2yyxpiw.png

Haha.

Seriously though, I've never heard anything good about LaCie. What's the deal? Is their stuff crap?

Lancer
Jan 7, 2013, 03:46 PM
I'd love one, just wish I had the money!

unplugme71
Jan 7, 2013, 03:57 PM
Add to that some HDD manufacturers/retailers have better warranties and coverage.

I had four bad power supplies from LaCie and justs about all of them went up within the same year . . . . right when the warranty was up.

I haven't had a single issue with the mobile drives LaCie makes. I've two rugged drives pushing 6 years that haven't given me one single problem.

I have a short documentary (45 minutes) a colleague and I are working on, and the raw footage alone is pushing 3TBs. I haven't marketed myself to do any freelance post in almost 4 years, but even then, with the small projects I ate 7TBs easy. I am talking 30 second spots eating up 100GBs in raw footage alone.

Imagine an indie feature.

Yup. I switched to Drobo and couldn't be happier. I know a lot of people dislike them, most because of price, but they offer what I need and never had an issue with any of their products other than the Drobo FS which is discontinued.

I'm considering picking up the Drobo 5N for personal use and killing my file server. I just wish they offered Active Directory/LDAP support.

hachre
Jan 7, 2013, 03:58 PM
The price is quite good if you calculate for yourself the cost of 5 drives to get to 20 TB, cost of a big enough enclosure with cooling, SATA controllers and a power supply you end up not far from what they're asking. Of course their solution is a bit more expensive but you get a beautiful, compact, small yet high efficiency enclosure with hot swap capability and Thunderbolt connectivity which wasn't included in my comparison.

unplugme71
Jan 7, 2013, 04:03 PM
The price is quite good if you calculate for yourself the cost of 5 drives to get to 20 TB, cost of a big enough enclosure with cooling, SATA controllers and a power supply you end up not far from what they're asking. Of course their solution is a bit more expensive but you get a beautiful, compact, small yet high efficiency enclosure with hot swap capability and Thunderbolt connectivity which wasn't included in my comparison.

I could not build a box that size for the same price. I tried. Ended up with a mid-tower unit. Yes, it holds 8 instead of 5, but it's also a lot bigger than could be.

g4cube
Jan 7, 2013, 04:36 PM
Kinda upset to see it doesn't offer mSATA to provide a 32, 64, or 128GB cache drive like the Drobo's have.

It makes a BIG difference in speed.

The LaCie 5big Thunderbolt is already faster than the Drobo Thunderbolt, so wouldn't benefit from any mSATA cache at more than 700MB/sec. Drobo is much slower even with the mSATA cache.

musio
Jan 7, 2013, 04:40 PM
Would like an empty unit. At least drobo comes empty!

g4cube
Jan 7, 2013, 04:41 PM

actually when FireWire was introduced, pci cards just to add the interface cost $99, and drives were much smaller capacity, typically less than 120GB.

Checkout older magazine ads, or archive.org for what some ancient websites presented to browsers.

iMikeT
Jan 7, 2013, 04:52 PM
I'm very happy seeing another company take advantage of Thunderbolt, however, can one of these companies release a bloody 0TB enclosure? All I want is a bare Thunderbolt enclosure, albeit at a slightly less expensive price, and I'll gladly supply the drives myself. Hint hint to OWC..... ;)

luffytubby
Jan 7, 2013, 05:02 PM
"I'm afraid I can't let you save that, Dave."

respect for that comment. my thoughts exactly.

Digital Skunk
Jan 7, 2013, 06:12 PM
Yup. I switched to Drobo and couldn't be happier. I know a lot of people dislike them, most because of price, but they offer what I need and never had an issue with any of their products other than the Drobo FS which is discontinued.

I'm considering picking up the Drobo 5N for personal use and killing my file server. I just wish they offered Active Directory/LDAP support.

You're reading a comment from a happy Drobo owner. Three times over. An FS, a classic, and a S. I too am looking at the 5D for my next enclosure.

iReality85
Jan 7, 2013, 06:20 PM

Ahh, is that what they're calling that these days?

On a more serious note- why doesn't Apple just outright buy LaCie. They seem to be one of the few that manufactures any peripherals related to Thunderbolt anyway, at a price range most Apple users are accustomed to. At least it would be in-house then.

Ok, maybe not so serious. ;-)

nutmac
Jan 7, 2013, 06:23 PM

NAS Pro can be bought diskless and have SimplyRAID (mixed set of hard disks different capacity, sort of like Drobo).

Having said that, I would like a comparison between NAS Pro and Drobo 5N, which cost about the same.

g4cube
Jan 7, 2013, 06:39 PM
...On a more serious note- why doesn't Apple just outright buy LaCie. They seem to be one of the few that manufactures any peripherals related to Thunderbolt anyway, at a price range most Apple users are accustomed to. At least it would be in-house then.

Seagate announced the purchase of LaCie last year in May.

Checkout www.thunderbolttechnology.net for a look at some of the other announced and shipping products, or the section of products from your favorite internet reseller.

calderone
Jan 7, 2013, 08:43 PM
Not bad, still rocking my R6 12TB. Wouldn't mind 20 though ;)

Cisco_Kid
Jan 8, 2013, 02:47 AM

I picked up a Drobo and it sounded like a coffee grinder, totally unhappy with it; same week I picked up a Pegasus R6 and could not be more happy on the other side of the coin. Also the software packages included with both were about par, I could just not handle the noise from the Drobo.

Macman45
Jan 8, 2013, 03:05 AM

Yep...I have a Pegasus R4 and they still cost £800+ I guess GB for GB it's about right though...You do get what you pay for with Promise, although I can't comment on Lacie stuff.

Mr. Retrofire
Jan 8, 2013, 03:49 AM
“Educational videos”. ;-)

macs4nw
Jan 8, 2013, 04:04 AM

'Educational' you say; is that for 'higher education?' ;)

(hardware) Raid 10 should have been included in that size/price category. Raid 5, Ughh.....

Not been impressed with LaCie lately; maybe just pure bad luck, but my recently purchased 1TB USB3/Thunderbolt 'Rugged' drive came with an included Thunderbolt cable that 'died' after 20 min., and the 4TB 2big Thunderbolt, that I bought around the same time, was DOA. Needless to say, I returned the 2big, and bought the APPLE TB cable for the 'Rugged', which now works fine.

Macman45
Jan 8, 2013, 05:25 AM
“Educational videos”. ;-)

:D Depends on ones perspective though?

auero
Jan 8, 2013, 07:21 AM

+1

Their power supplies are terrible. I think that's the reason one of my drives slowly started to die. It used to click because it wasn't getting enough power from a faulty supply. New power supply fixed it and now even with a good one it clicks. Quality product in terms of build but I'd never buy another drive from them again. I've received 3 power supply replacements from them in a matter of 2 years.

ben-adam
Jan 8, 2013, 07:31 AM
Finally... a JBOD enclosure with Thunderbolt :-)

The one thing that is missing is a decent file system. It's almost ridiculous to put a 20 years old file system (HFS) on this brand-new storage device.

I wish Apple brought back the ZFS.

Lesser Evets
Jan 8, 2013, 09:27 AM
actually when FireWire was introduced, pci cards just to add the interface cost $99, and drives were much smaller capacity, typically less than 120GB.

Checkout older magazine ads, or archive.org for what some ancient websites presented to browsers.

Not sure about the pci-card interfaces: I was using new Macs of that age that came equipped with FW. Any PCI card isn't cheap. At the time, the FW cables were $20 and went down. They became so ubiquitous with FW peripherals that I have a plethora of FW cords all around the house. Never need to buy another FW cord in my life.

TB is definitely pricier than FW by a factor of 2 or 3 or 4.

Vidivici
Jan 8, 2013, 09:27 AM

I have a lacie rugged too , 4.5 years old , still works flawless.
Got a new rugged thunderbolt sdd , works flawless aswell.

And how old are those stories with their PSU ?
They've got all newer , smaller ones .

Those PSU problems are a thing of the past , i think Lacie learned from this.
Deal with it.

Tanax
Jan 8, 2013, 10:41 AM
I picked up a Drobo and it sounded like a coffee grinder, totally unhappy with it; same week I picked up a Pegasus R6 and could not be more happy on the other side of the coin. Also the software packages included with both were about par, I could just not handle the noise from the Drobo.

Pegasus R6 is a DAS. The Drobo 5N is a NAS. You're comparing different product categories.

dr01dy
Jan 8, 2013, 11:12 AM
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.

g4cube
Jan 8, 2013, 11:35 AM
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty. And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.

May want to read a bit before making bets that are sure losers.

3years, and like the other 5big products in the family, replacement drives are available, and if you wish to use your own, provided drives can be easily substituted into the drive carriers. While the Thunderbolt version only comes with 5x2TB or 5x4TB, the NAS Pro version comes with those configs, as well as empty with no drives so you can configure your own.

Saw them at PEPCOM last night at CES and the systems looked pretty good.

senohpoxas88
Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 AM
Guess they should update their specs page... http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10607

it appears that the Thunderbolt one only supports RAID 0 & 1.
The NAS offers RAID 5.

Not supporting RAID 5 on a 5-disk architecture is ridiculous.

OllyW
Jan 8, 2013, 11:48 AM
LaCie does not stand by their products. I will bet my left nut it comes with a 1 year warranty.
Your LaCie 5big is protected by a three-year limited warranty.

And I bet my other nut you can't replace those drives.
Thanks to hot-swappable disks**, you can simply slide a new disk into the safe volume without switching off the device.

http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/more/Overview_images/5big_TB/5bigTB_Back_EN.jpg

I hope you weren't planning on having kids. :D

Tanax
Jan 8, 2013, 11:59 AM

I prefer if you send them via UPS. I'll send my shipping address via PM.
I can even be so nice and pay the shipping costs.

Digital Skunk
Jan 8, 2013, 12:38 PM
And how old are those stories with their PSU ?
They've got all newer , smaller ones .

Those PSU problems are a thing of the past , i think Lacie learned from this.
Deal with it.

The stories with the PSU are pretty current . . . since we are talking about it right now. My last LaCie d2 PSU went up about two years ago.

I am not a HDD basher, I've owned enclosures and drives from every manufacturer and they all have problems.

iDemiurge
Jan 8, 2013, 02:14 PM
I joke about 'educational videos' cause I can't see a reason to buy LaCie other than for storing this kind of content. Maybe they've come a long way since, but the last LaCie enclosure I had was so noisy I had to get rid of it in order not to go nuts. It was like being inside a jet the whole day, and this was considered 'normal' by LaCie.

needfx
Jan 8, 2013, 03:09 PM
I can hardly understand their ridiculous policy of having two separate products, one for TB and one for Ethernet at such crazy prices.

A simple relocation of the hardware beyond a TB enriched computer makes this as useless as a brick, while just Ethernet, has the same price as the TB

you idiots.

g4cube
Jan 8, 2013, 06:53 PM
Do you understand why some customers might need a NAS, and others might need a storage array with very high performance as attached storage?

A NAS array cannot deliver the performance of a Thunderbolt array. The NAS productfrom LaCie is claiming 200+ MB/sec with it's two bonded 1Gbps Ethernet connections, and 780+ MB/sec with its Thunderbolt RAID product.

Both look identical on the outside. They share the same 5big metal chassis but the internals are completely different. The NAS has a dual-core Intel Atom and 4GB of RAM. The RAID variation has a Thunderbolt controller inside.

Probably not room for both types of controllers?

The drive drawers are the same - 5 slots for drives, each in a metal carrier.

I saw both at the PEPCOM expo last night at CES.

mauvehead
Jan 8, 2013, 08:52 PM
Lacie drives are just so sexy to me...I pulled the trigger on their 6TB Thunderbolt RAID drive last spring and I've not yet felt any buyer's remorse. File transfers between it and my SSD equipped MBP are phenomenal and I can't fathom going back to a slower protocol ever again for my primary external needs. 100GB transfers typically take 90sec or so...Talk about convenience...

Cisco_Kid
Jan 8, 2013, 09:27 PM
Pegasus R6 is a DAS. The Drobo 5N is a NAS. You're comparing different product categories.

Oh pardon me you are right, that makes it totally okay for the Drobo to sound like a coffee grinder... shame on me.

G4DP
Jan 8, 2013, 10:28 PM

Exactly the same as Apple, but I bet you aren't bitching about them though.

They have as much confidence in their products as Apple does in it's. Yet all the loyal fans think it's fine for Apple to offer such crap service on $3,500 machines but expect a company to provide more on something that is 1/3 of the price?

Vidivici
Jan 9, 2013, 04:01 AM
The stories with the PSU are pretty current . . . since we are talking about it right now. My last LaCie d2 PSU went up about two years ago.

I am not a HDD basher, I've owned enclosures and drives from every manufacturer and they all have problems.

2 years , but the d2 wasnt that new?
I've seen the topics about their psu problems , but all posts from devices bought 4 - 5 years ago. No new ones .

Got myself a 1tb lacie starck aswell , 2.5 years old.
No psu problems , no HDD noise problems.

Dark Fiber
Jan 9, 2013, 09:17 AM
I've seen the topics about their psu problems , but all posts from devices bought 4 - 5 years ago. No new ones .

I agree, the firestorm of bad reports applied to their dual voltage (12V/5V) PSUs. I don't recall seeing any complaints about the newer 12V only units.
This is reflected in my personal experience- several 12/5s dead after less than two years, while my 12s are so far so good!

brayan.richard
Jan 15, 2013, 12:14 AM

Yeah total educational.....:p:p:p

jimthing
Mar 7, 2013, 12:10 AM
Anyone bought one of these then?
(and if so, what do you use for your backup?)

Got a 2012 Mac Mini, so this might be a great server solution: best of DAS (Thunderbolt), best of NAS (connected to a perminently on Mac) as well! AFAICT.

Anything a dedicated quality NAS box can do, or do better, than this Mac Mini+TBolt DAS set-up?

phoenixsan
Mar 7, 2013, 01:34 AM
in the next generation/revision of this hardware or in a two-year period the prices can be 40% off and I am sold.....:D

:):apple:

yusukeaoki
Mar 7, 2013, 01:58 AM
Awesome just need to self my house to get one!

shalliday
Mar 18, 2013, 01:55 PM
Just purchased a Western Digital 8TB Thunderbolt My Book Duo to hook up to my 2011 MacMini (using 27" Thunderbolt display) but am now thinking of returning it for the 10TB Lacie Thunderbolt 5big DAS.

Searched the web and the Lacie product reviews look good but have only been able to find a couple of user reviews on the 5big.

Any opinions as to the build quality and reliability of Lacie products, (read about them having faulty power supplies) and whether the 5big would be worth the additional cost over the WD unit?

Thanks!

jimthing
Mar 27, 2013, 01:38 AM
Anyone bought one of these then?
(and if so, what do you use for your backup?)

Got a 2012 Mac Mini, so this might be a great server solution: best of DAS (Thunderbolt), best of NAS (connected to a perminently on Mac) as well! AFAICT.

Anything a dedicated quality NAS box can do, or do better, than this Mac Mini+TBolt DAS set-up?

Bump. Anyone? Thoughts?

tekboi
Mar 27, 2013, 01:47 AM
Sounds good...

Unfortunately it DOESN'T sound good to my pocket book.

eeb
Apr 6, 2013, 06:28 PM
Can I have an SSD based NAS box *with* git-E, a couple thunderbolt connectors and a couple of USB 3 connectors. As far as the t-bolt and USB3 connectors I should be able to use those to connect into the box directly (as I might a USB or t-bolt hard drive) or extend the boxes storage (so, as a NAS, I can extend it's storage with more fast SSD's or drives).

This would give me a quiet on-desk solution that was rocket fast for my primary computing devices (one or two) while giving me network access to that storage for all my other machines (without needing my primary computers on or active). Then there is no choosing, I get it all in one. Win.

shalliday
Apr 14, 2013, 06:28 PM
Anyone bought one of these then? (and if so, what do you use for your backup?)While I ended up returning the WD 8TB Thunderbolt My Book Duo, I was going to use my Synology 1511+ to back it up. Considering the disk size, I think a NAS would make a great backup solution.

pcboy
Apr 15, 2013, 01:54 AM
Bought one too. The speed is ok, and it works. Capacity is big. That's all I need. Not the best choice since it has no raid and price is expensive too. But again, it works for me.

Ice-Cube
Apr 15, 2013, 05:49 AM
I'm also thinking of getting of the 5big to replace all my drives. I've been buying hard drives once every 2 years and they all comes in different shapes and sizes and looks so unsightly in the room. I'm hoping this will solve all my storage needs and look beautiful at the same time.

LorenK
Apr 15, 2013, 11:51 AM

Not nice to see that someone else has had the same problem with LaCie power supplies. I also have had a problem with the bridge boards.

Anybody know what I can do with three LaCie aluminium drive cases? Would they make good birdhouses?

satcomer
Apr 15, 2013, 01:51 PM
I think for most home users a NAS might be overkill. To me the craze of putting USB2 ports on routers is the way to go for most home users. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a NAS any day. IMHO as new wireless standards and that port on routers might change to USB3 or better real soon.

Digital Skunk
Apr 17, 2013, 09:17 AM
Not nice to see that someone else has had the same problem with LaCie power supplies. I also have had a problem with the bridge boards.

Anybody know what I can do with three LaCie aluminium drive cases? Would they make good birdhouses?

Funny you should say that. I had to pull the perfectly working drives out and the cases sat for months. I contemplated getting more PSUs for them, but in the end, they wound up in the recycling bin.